Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Team 13 - One "Tree"

Curran

Supporting Member
Central Ohio
Good looking bucks!!

I'll be getting this week some, just have to figure what days and wind directions are going to be best and match that up against the work and family schedule. Haha! So many variables to consider.

Curran

Supporting Member
Central Ohio
Yep. Was going to go in the morning but I'm better off going to work. Gonna be wet here until Saturday. Should be able to get out Saturday afternoon.

Dustinb80

#FACKCANCER
Supporting Member
S.W. Ohio
What's going on guys. Just a quick write up on my hunting so far. We went out this past Friday afternoon. Beautiful weather, wind was perfect. I like my stand location, but not the setup. I'm afraid of heights so it'll be what it is until next season. Around 7pm my BIL texts me and tell me there is a doe in the field about 200 yards from him, 350 from me. So I stand up and grab my binos. This is the 1st season I've actually been on a property that I had the chance to use them. It was pretty cool watching her work the field in his direction. She came into a clearing where the 2 fields meet up, about 100 yards from me and starts staring in my direction. I'm not moving so I'm not sure what she is looking for, or has seen. she eventually makes her way back towards my BIL's corn pile. Then another doe comes darting into the field heading on the same path. She stops and stares in my direction too. The first doe catches wind of something, out of my sight, and starts acting funny. They both ended up leaving the field. Nice hunt. It was exciting to see. Saturday we didn't plan on hunting but decided why not. Got to our stands around 2:45 or so. Didn't see anything all day. Around 7 I stand up and see a small 6 point about 20 yards from me. I got myself into position to be able to grab my bow in case something else was following. Just the an 8 point, still small but bigger than the 6 comes out about 10 yards East of my stand. I'm still trying to position myself at this point and the 6 catches my movement, just a bit. Then a big 8 comes out from the same direction. He was presenting me with a perfect 30 yard broadside shot. However, the small 6 was looking in my direction the whole time and I wasn't able to draw my bow. Eventually someone pulled into the drive way about 800 feet away and spooked the big 8. He tore off, and the others followed. I was shaking like a Chihuahua. It was crazy. That's my best hunt to date, of any year. I'm planning on being back in that stand this coming Saturday. It looks like we will have about a 12 degree drop in temperature between Friday and Saturday. There is a camera set up about 20 yards from where this all took place. I'm going to grab the card tomorrow. Should be interesting. Our BIG BUCK, a wide 14 point, hasn't shown up for a few weeks. If he's on that camera or any of my cameras, that big 8 will get a pass. Ill keep you guys posted. This is the 1st year to hunt this 39 acre property. In the past years I've only had about 5 acres to hunt. So seeing this many deer in so few sits is great for me and my BIL.

This is the Wide 14
2612.jpg

This is the small 6 that showed up.
20161001_191007.jpg

I think this is the same 6
2610.jpg

On second thought, he may be a small 8.

Attachments

• 2608.jpg
    2608.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 276
Last edited:

Gern186

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NW Ohio Tundra
I don't see anywhere near 14 points on that frame, looks like maybe a typical 8 point frame, you must have a different camera angle of him ?

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Good shit Dustin. I need to get back out but I haven't found another decent buck to chase yet. Need to do some recon, just a little short on free time right now.

Dustinb80

#FACKCANCER
Supporting Member
S.W. Ohio
Went out to the property to drop corn, apples and pull the cards from our cameras. This is the 1st time Ive had the big 8, I Say big b/c he is the biggest 8 we have on camera, in front of my camera by my tree. Im starting to have 2nd thoughts on him b/c of his short brow tines.

Here he is at night in front of my cam
20161005_201655.jpg

This is when I was in the tree, in the top left corner you can see the headlights pulling in that scared them all away.
20161005_202005.jpg

Based on his body size, any thoughts on his age?

angelzd28

Good stuff Dustin, IMO that's a 3.5 or 4.5 year old deer, based just on the body size. Def would be a great one to take, those main beams look pretty long!
Ill be getting out this weekend hopefully both days. I have new spot that I would like to try if the winds right.

Dustinb80

#FACKCANCER
Supporting Member
S.W. Ohio
At that age, does he have the potential for further growth? If not Ill take him, if he presents the opportunity.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
At that age, does he have the potential for further growth? If not Ill take him, if he presents the opportunity.

Were you jacked up when you saw it? Did you say to yourself that's good one? Did you want to pull the trigger on him? If the answer is yes to all three, put an arrow thru him....

Dustinb80

#FACKCANCER
Supporting Member
S.W. Ohio
Whats goin on guys? Hope yall are havin a good day. My weekend went well. Got in my stand around 2:45 Saturday and it was windy as hell. Had me pretty nervous most of the night. Right around 6:30 the wind quit. About 7:10 I hear something moving behind me, small 7 point shows up again. About 2 minutes later a small 8 comes in from the bean field to my west. The small 7 starts moving towards him, head down, ears back and they just start circling each other then playfully lock horns. I watch them for about 5 minutes, then another 8 comes in on the same path the 7 came in on. He headed straight to their playground and unleashed on the other 8. Knocked him to the ground. Then they all 3 settled down and continued playin around with each other. It was a pretty neat thing to watch. It was a first for me. They ended up keeping me in the stand until around 8:15 or so when I got tired of waiting. Started barking like a dog and they eventually made their way out of the field. Went back out yesterday hoping the bigger 8 I have would make an appearance. My BIL had 2 does come to his side of the property. They took off as he was drawing for a shot, I guess he shook the tree while drawing. I swapped my card from my camera hoping to get those 3 bucks on camera. Nothing. Im either going to have to move that camera or adjust its settings. Theres no reason it shouldn't have taken some pics of them. I would call it a successful weekend. Ive seen more deer sightings on this property in the 4 sits than I saw on my other property in 4 years. Im a happy guy.

Curran

Supporting Member
Central Ohio
Sounds like a great weekend Dustin! Especially getting to watch those bucks spar. It's awesome being in the woods and witnessing things like that.

It was a good weekend here too. Hunted Saturday morning and saw two bucks. One was a decent 8 but he got a pass due to two other bigger ones on the property. Sunday afternoon I hunted the same stand again and saw 5 does. I passed on a shot just because I didn't feel like messing with a doe on a Sunday night. My kids both yelled at me for passing on a shot when I got home. Lol.

Dustinb80

#FACKCANCER
Supporting Member
S.W. Ohio
Discouraging pull last night. Went out to drop some corn and apples. Wanted to change cars and replace batteries. Only 2 small bucks left on camera and 2 does. Not sure what to think of this.

Quantum673

Black Hat Cajun
Supporting Member
Discouraging pull last night. Went out to drop some corn and apples. Wanted to change cars and replace batteries. Only 2 small bucks left on camera and 2 does. Not sure what to think of this.
Disappointing but it may all change here in the next couple weeks. Don't get TOO worried about it yet. Hopefully some new deer will move into the area once they start chasing.