Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Team #5 - Whiskey Bent & Wallbound

Boone

*Supporting Member*
N.E. O-H-I-O
After my almost shooting light encounter with the buck yesterday, I told myself I had to get up today because the weather looks wet Thurs and Fri morning. I should have stayed in bed with my wife. I didn't see a single deer. Hope to go Fri night. I am going to plop myself down in the middle of big woods with lots of good thickets all around as now should be the time.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Thanks guys... I should get the measurement's up soon.. He should get us another 85.25 +5 for the TC pic. for 90.25... Which will put us at 115.25. Good enough for 2nd place. With Gerns buck and doe we'll likely take 1st after the weekend. :pickle:

Last edited:

Boone

*Supporting Member*
N.E. O-H-I-O
I'm leaving work at 1 and should be in my climber by 2:30 this afternoon. No more edge hunting now. I will try to be in the center of the action on the edge of some trails that come out of a big thicket. The wind should actually hide my entry. Visiblity isn't the best there so I will have to be on my toes. I am watching the kids in the morning so I can take off in the afternoon Saturday. I heve been out a lot lately and will have to do some damage control next Friday evening by taking the little lady on a date night. Then I'll be good to go for a while!

Gern186

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NW Ohio Tundra
I haven't got the good pictures back from my buck yet....that's what I'm waiting on to post it.

Tomorrow is the first day of Indiana gun season and I've been busy all day getting ready. I'm going to take the T/C Triumph and sit on the corner of a 200 acre cornfield in a section where there isn't a single tree!

Gern186

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NW Ohio Tundra
Spotted 2 bucks chasing a doe about 9 this morning over in Indiana. They were 3/4 mile away. I walked about 1/2 mile to the east of them and got into a ditch and started sneaking down the ditch, all the while keeping an eye on the 3 deer. They kept working their way east towards me and I kept adjusting on the ditch as they came closer. I got the shooter buck to turn broadside at about 80 yards and killed him with 1 shot from the T/C....dropped him right there! He is a real nice clean 10 pointer that has a great big body.

Last edited:

Boone

*Supporting Member*
N.E. O-H-I-O
Way to go again Gern!

My deer have all but disappeared. Friday night in the thicket I saw a lone big doe at 40 yards with nothing trailing her. Saturday night I should have stayed home as my buddy and I both got skunked in the warm and windy conditions. There were freshly killed dead deer all along 77 and 250, so they are moving, just not by me in the stand. I agree with the other posts about the full moon, etc. The big bucks on camera are still at night. I'm taking a break until Thursday.

Last edited:

Boone

*Supporting Member*
N.E. O-H-I-O
I forgot to mention that Saturday morning I took my kids to another friend's farm to put up a new stand. Some of his relatives were in town so we had 8 kids following us out to the woods. We had been working on the stand for about 20 minutes, so the kids took off exploring. The dog started to wander back to us and that was finally enough for a big 8 point to get nervous enough to leave his bed in a thicket 40 yards away! My daughter saw it too and later and said, "you would have shot it Dad." She went on to explain what its rack looked like, not bad for missing two front teeth. I have her trained already. lol.

5Cent

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
North Central Ohio
Way to go Gern, looks like you had a great trip. Open land hunting like that is tough work! Anything new other guys? How is the gun week treating everyone? I'll be picking up my last doe tag tomorrow after work and will be hitting the woods a little bit this weekend. Hoping to put that last doe in the freezer and set a new record for myself....tagged out baby!

Gern186

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NW Ohio Tundra
Nothing new here, I will try and get my buck measurements added into the contest this weekend. I took my aunt deer hunting on Monday morning and then took my 76 year old grandpa out yesterday morning.....can we get any points for that?

5Cent

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
North Central Ohio
Nothing new here, I will try and get my buck measurements added into the contest this weekend. I took my aunt deer hunting on Monday morning and then took my 76 year old grandpa out yesterday morning.....can we get any points for that?[/QUOTE]

LOL, donno, but that is cool!

Boone

*Supporting Member*
N.E. O-H-I-O
5cent, congrats on the buck! I have been so busy with kid and work I don't have much time to post lately.

I hunted Thursday near Urichsville and Friday in Medina county. Hardly any shots Thursday, but I let me buddy sit in our best gun stand and he killed a nice 9pt about seven minutes into shooting time. I didn't see a buck and passed on a tiny doe. Friday I got skunked the whole day! I agree that the deer numbers are much lower than they used to be.

5Cent

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
North Central Ohio
Hopefully the colder weather will get them moving more. I still got a doe tag burning a hole in the pocket, hoping to close the deal with some snow on the ground.

5Cent

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
North Central Ohio
Anyone out hunting? Damn neighbor is back out with his back hoe cutting firewood right now, hope he's done after a day or so. COME ON SNOW and 0* weather!!!!

Boone

*Supporting Member*
N.E. O-H-I-O
I am still at it. Got blanked last Friday night and Sunday night. Headed out Saturday morning for 2nd gun in the am befrore my boy's basketball game.
Can someone send me some luck? I lost my mojo. haha. I guess I'll have to make my own luck by sticking with it.
This time of year is typically hard for me. I don't have any crops to hunt around, my plots are eaten to the ground and the deer are elusive after gun.

Gern186

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NW Ohio Tundra
I might take my son out on Saturday morning and let him use the muzzleloader to shoot a doe, either that or take him to Indiana and try for a buck.

Boone

*Supporting Member*
N.E. O-H-I-O
I've still been at it lately. I have a decent 9 that keeps hanging around I seem to miss by a day or so according to the trail camera. I have been blanked on stand the last couple of times I have been out. It's frustrating but I'm sticking with it till the end. Can't get out Saturday afternoon for muzzy cuz my boy has a bball game I want to go to at 3pm. I liked the old season between xmas and new year's when I had time offf to go. No way I am taking off Monday or Tuesday and using vacation this early.

5Cent

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
North Central Ohio
Don't blame ya Boone on the vacation. Good luck on the 9, he'll slip up one of these days, u just gotta be there as much as possible.

Come on fellas, we're still laggin in pts, we need some more dead deer!