Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

The things you see on back roads

Hoytmania

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Gods Country
That is kick ass Jim, my dad is into old cars. He doesn't have any from the 30's era but I'm sure he knows a few guys that do. When I get home I'll show it to him and see if it sparks any interest. If not I would think that you could get some money from it at some swap meet.

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
Looks like you should of picked that out of the woods a long time ago, Jim! Should still be worth a few bucks though I would think.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Handle can't be too far off. Check it out mechanically and send it off to be blasted and painted. Put $100 bucks in it and I bet you could at a minimum double it.

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
MVC-010F.JPGMVC-011F.JPGMVC-012F.JPGMVC-013F.JPGMVC-017F.JPGMVC-018F.JPGMVC-019F.JPG

"Many years ago..."

I was walking the property we had along the Ashtabula river. In most places the river bed of shale rock sits between 3 and 6 foot below the earthen bank or shoreline. At one point where the river makes a slight bend, on the outside bank was 6 feet of rock and earth. Trees the diameter of 5 gallon buckets grow directly above. Sticking out of the bank, exposed from the spring thaw were half a dozen large logs with points cut by man on the ends. They looked like a old fort wall knocked over.

Baker's map of 1856 show's a structure was established up stream. Apparently, at some point between then and 1876, (Nunan Map) a 100 year storm happened. It would appear that a mass of stone and rock washed down the river flood plane and left a 6 foot layer. Trees took root and began to grow. I don't know what it really is but the area does not look like it was a bridge.

Pardon the pictures. They were taken with a "floppy disk" camera.

Last edited:

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
Thanks guys!
Get off the back roads and keep your eyes open.
Never know what you'll see!