Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

TOO 2010-2011 Daily Hunting Log

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Good luck with Crazy Rack and good luck to all over the weekend! I want to get back out after the one on opening morning trail cam pics soooo bad right now. Unfortunately, work is calling. I am working on my invoices tonight for September, back on a end of season landscape maintenance job in the early a.m. then heading off to sell tree stands in the afternoon tomorrow. Won't be back until Sunday night. Not sure about phone reception, but will try to check in to see what you fellas stack up this weekend. I am rooting for you all. Hopefully some karma will float my way for being responsible and working this weekend.

formerbowhunter1023

Now Posts as Jesse..
SE Ohio
Good luck this morning fellas. I'm guiding all weekend. Taking my little cousin out this morning, along with bloodynock for his first hunt in Ohio. Should be a good morning. Stay safe!

formerbowhunter1023

Now Posts as Jesse..
SE Ohio
Jury is still out on this mornings hunt. Figured I'd update this while I continue to freeze...

1023's Season Tally

AM Hunts: 1
PM Hunts: 2
All day sits: 0
Total Hunts: 7
Skunked Hunts: 0
Hours on Stand: 15
Average time of hunt: 2 hours 15 minutes

Does seen: 15
Different bucks seen: 1
Shooters bucks seen: 1
Total buck sightings: 2
Total deer sightings: 17
Deer seen per hour on stand: 1.13

Stands hunted: 4
Properties hunted: 3

Deer killed: 0
Bow killed squirrels: 0
Dumbass mistakes: 1.5

badger

*Supporting Member*
Jury is still out on this mornings hunt. Figured I'd update this while I continue to freeze...

1023's Season Tally

AM Hunts: 1
PM Hunts: 2
Total Hunts: 7
Hours on Stand: 15

Does seen: 15
Total deer sightings: 17
Deer seen per hour on stand: 1.13

Stands hunted: 4

1.5 dumbass mistakes? Hoe can you make half a mistake?

dante322

*Supporting Member*
Crawford county
got out after work for a couple hours last night. had a doe with twin fawns come through around 7:15, and heard more movement a little later, but lost daylight.

have been getting a ton of activity in front of one of my cams over the last couple days. mostly in the morning and evening during legal light. I was in that stand last night but since i went right after work I'm sure that doe caught my scent.
I wanted to go this morning but I have been nursing a bad cold the last couple days and decided to stay in bed this morning. I plan on getting descented and hitting it this evening though.

Hoytmania

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Gods Country
Took the wife out this morning for her first hunt. We sat in the blind till about 10 all the while only seeing one doe. She seemed to have enjoyed herself though. As we where packing up to get out of there she said "I never understood why you would go hunting in the morning come home and want to back out after a few hours. Now I understand because I wish we could get back out for the evening." Unfortunately she has a previous engagement this evening at 6.

It sure sounds like she has gotten bit by the bug. :smiley_breakdance:

formerbowhunter1023

Now Posts as Jesse..
SE Ohio
1.5 dumbass mistakes? Hoe can you make half a mistake?

The first encounter with Crazy Rack counts as a half because I'm not sure I could have done anything differently to change the outcome, but you never know. Since I spooked him trying to make him stand at last light, I'll take half and he gets half for being a lazy fuck and laying down in my shooting lane!!!

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
Headed out this evening and just as I got the the property it starts raining lol. I said the hell with it and me and dante headed back to the woods with our climbers anyway lol. We sat until 6:30 and I wasn't seeing anything move from the stand so got down and headed for the field just to see if anything was wandering around. I looked across the cut bean field to the south and seen 3 deer standing out there. I sat on the field edge watching them and seen 2 more go from our woods and run south across that same bean field to another section of woods. I couldn't do anything with those deer since I don't have permission for that field or the woods where they was headed. I went north through the corn field and changed out SD cards from my cam over the apples at my hang on stand. Collected dante from his stand and start heading out of the woods. We looked across the north cut bean field and seen a deer crossing that field as well but it was just about legal shooting light to run out. We get to a spot where we have to cut through a fence row to another field edge and see two deer standing just on the other side of the thin woods heading right toward us. No light to do anything and we got pinned down in those woods for about 10-15 min. before I popped up and the doe and her fawn took off running back the way they had come lol. Not bad seeing 8 deer in the neighborhood this evening despite the rain.
Now I have to go back out in the morning just to see if they want to move after the rain stopped :D.

badger

*Supporting Member*
The first encounter with Crazy Rack counts as a half because I'm not sure I could have done anything differently to change the outcome, but you never know. Since I spooked him trying to make him stand at last light, I'll take half and he gets half for being a lazy fuck and laying down in my shooting lane!!!

Sounds reasonable to me.

--------------------------------

Bought some new straps for a few hangons & climbing sticks today. I think I have enough strength back in my arm to safely climb and get off the ground. Had some good times with my boy, but this ground stuff in Ohio isn't for me. I can do it all day long in Texas brush country but not here.

Can't wait to get some stands up tomorrow!

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
After spending about 6 hrs. in the rain yesterday evening I thought today was going to be better since the radar showed no rain overhead. Got all ready and headed outside..Fuggin rain !!! I turned around and headed right back into the house lol. With a NNW wind and a windchill of 36-37 and rain...nah I don't thinks so. Now turn that rain into snow and that's a whole different ballgame lol.

Try it again this afternoon :D.

Ohiobowhunter1

Columbus
I hunted in Athens Sunday morning and stayed with my original plan to hunt a double trunk tree that sits in the middle of a thicket. I arrowed a small doe from it a couple years ago and wanted to see what was going on in the area. With the wet leaves I was able to get in and set up quietly. As I was sitting there waiting for daylight a pack of coyotes sounded off on the opposite ridge, my hair was standing up but hoped one would come over as the day lightened up. At around 7am I heard walking and caught a small buck he managed to sneak behind me through the pinch and I watched him walk off. So far so good I thought, I had turkeys fly down from the roost and pick around. Then around 8am I heard a deep long grunt which sounded like it was just 30 yds but couldnt see any deer. About 20 minutes later I caught movement coming from my left, it was a small 1.5 yr old 7 point and I watched him walk through my wind and pass the stand at 25 yds(thank god for the smoker!). As I watched him walk through behind him was a bigger 8 point maybe 2.5 yr old and he followed the same trail. I watched these two move by as I caught more movement coming and I saw tree shaking back and forth and there he was. I saw the tall tines and bigger body of a 3.5 year old and glassed him quickly because if he followed I would get a shot. I decided if he presented a shot I would take it. He actually came closer on another trail, as I came to full draw he moved into a lane and I grunted and hit the release drilling him dead in the shoulder but penetrated deeply, he mule kicked and bounced about 15 yds where I watched him wobble and finally stand on his hind legs and fall over backwards and he was down. What a day it was, I acutally saw about 6 different bucks in all and I am very pleased with him. My Dad took photos so as soon as I get them I will post them up for yall.

formerbowhunter1023

Now Posts as Jesse..
SE Ohio
I hunted in Athens Sunday morning and stayed with my original plan to hunt a double trunk tree that sits in the middle of a thicket. I arrowed a small doe from it a couple years ago and wanted to see what was going on in the area. With the wet leaves I was able to get in and set up quietly. As I was sitting there waiting for daylight a pack of coyotes sounded off on the opposite ridge, my hair was standing up but hoped one would come over as the day lightened up. At around 7am I heard walking and caught a small buck he managed to sneak behind me through the pinch and I watched him walk off. So far so good I thought, I had turkeys fly down from the roost and pick around. Then around 8am I heard a deep long grunt which sounded like it was just 30 yds but couldnt see any deer. About 20 minutes later I caught movement coming from my left, it was a small 1.5 yr old 7 point and I watched him walk through my wind and pass the stand at 25 yds(thank god for the smoker!). As I watched him walk through behind him was a bigger 8 point maybe 2.5 yr old and he followed the same trail. I watched these two move by as I caught more movement coming and I saw tree shaking back and forth and there he was. I saw the tall tines and bigger body of a 3.5 year old and glassed him quickly because if he followed I would get a shot. I decided if he presented a shot I would take it. He actually came closer on another trail, as I came to full draw he moved into a lane and I grunted and hit the release drilling him dead in the shoulder but penetrated deeply, he mule kicked and bounced about 15 yds where I watched him wobble and finally stand on his hind legs and fall over backwards and he was down. What a day it was, I acutally saw about 6 different bucks in all and I am very pleased with him. My Dad took photos so as soon as I get them I will post them up for yall.

Congrats! Can't wait for the pics!!!

formerbowhunter1023

Now Posts as Jesse..
SE Ohio
Decent weekend, although I should have hunted yesterday. I still enjoyed sleeping in, scouting, hanging cams, and dog training. Some good recliner time in front of the 55" Samsung too. Always fun!

1023's Season Tally

AM Hunts: 2
PM Hunts: 7
Total Hunts: 9
Hours on Stand: 20

Anterless deer seen: 19
Total deer sightings: 21
Deer seen per hour on stand: 1

Stands hunted: 5

DJK Frank 16

Supporting Member
Hardin County

Congratulations man, sounds like an awesome hunt with tons of action!! Looking forward to the pics!

DJK Frank 16

Supporting Member
Hardin County
Had some drywalling to do on Friday, swimming pool to close on Saturday, and was a LAZY ASS all day yesterday. Hitting the woods this evening, planning on hunting every night this week, hoping to alteast bag a doe for the freezer in the next week or two so I can focus on a buck during the rut.