Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

TOO Summer Gathering - June 11-12th?

Cast your vote for the 1st ever TOO Summer Gathering...

• Hocking Hills

Votes: 5 38.5%
  • Woodbury Wildlife Area

Votes: 7 53.8%
  • Dillon State Park and Wildlife Area

Votes: 1 7.7%
  • Other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I'd like to get something together the weekend of June 11-12th at a generally central location to most TOOzers. The date is negotiable, but I've found over the years it works best to set a date in advance and hope people can make it work. This weekend is the weekend before Father's Day, so you fathers could use that as a negotiating tool! :smiley_chinrub: The kids should be out of school by then and generally speaking, it's a good time of year to plan a weekend get-away.

First thought on location is Hocking Hills State Park in Hocking County. They have group camp site that we can cover with TOO kitty money. There is a 5 target practice range and 22 target 3D range we can shoot. Rose Lake (Hocking Hills Reservoir) is a 17-acre lake located adjacent to the campground and archery range. From what I have been reading, it's one hell of a lake for large mouth, cats, and stocked trout. Unfortunately, boating won't be much of an option around here. And there is always Old Mans Caves and Cantwell Cliffs to visit. IMO, it offers us a pretty good selection of things to do.

http://www.dnr.state.oh.us/parks/parks/hocking/tabid/743/Default.aspx

The other option, and the best one for us IMO is Woodbury Wildlife Area in Coshocton County. There is a small, first come, first serve primitive camp site located at the end of a dead end township road with a pond less than a half mile away. There are over 100 ponds in the area total, so there is plenty of fishing to be had. About 5 miles from the camp ground is a Class A, C, and D shooting ranges. A is the supervised rifle/pistol range; C is the unsupervised trap range; and D is the unsupervised 20 target archery range. And there is 19,000 acres of public hunting we could scout and shed hunt. The weak link is the camping area, but Woodbury offers a ton of options for a bunch of rednecks! Plus, it’s off the beaten trail and that might be a good thing with this group!

http://www.dnr.state.oh.us/Home/wil...WoodburyWildlifeArea/tabid/19897/Default.aspx

The third option I am eyeballing is staying at Dillon State Park in Muskingum County, and then using Dillon Wildlife Area to keep us occupied. There is also Class A, C, and D ranges available here, but not a 3D range from what I can tell. There is disc golf, plenty of fishing, and hiking trails. There is also no horsepower restriction on the 1,500+ acre lake, so that opens some things up. There is also an area to play volleyball and lighted basketball courts which could provide some serious comic relief! The major hang up here, is paying the money for camp sites and there is no group camping area, so that could be an issue.

http://www.dnr.state.oh.us/parks/dillon/tabid/730/Default.aspx

http://www.dnr.state.oh.us/Home/wil...s/DillonWildlifeArea/tabid/19700/Default.aspx

So there you have it fellas. Let’s get some discussion going on this and I’ll add a poll on which area sounds the most appealing. If the date proves to be a major pain in the ass for everyone, we can make some changes. But I’m casting my vote for this weekend and for Woodbury. I’d like to scout Woodbury and come back for an early season TOO bowhunt and squirrel hunting competition this fall. Plus, I like how it’s off the beaten path…

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Sounds like a good idea Jesse. Yall pick the weekend and I'll be there.

I have been told of a spot in WNF with a pond that makes for awesome camping. mischeif.gif

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Red plastic cups my friend!!! :smiley_adfundum:

Q. Are alcoholic beverages allowed in the park?

A. Alcoholic beverages are prohibited in public areas in every state park. The only exceptions are resort lodge restaurants and lounges, which provide complete beverage service. In addition, the golf course pro shops at Deer Creek, Hueston Woods, Maumee Bay, Punderson, and Salt Fork offer limited beverage service. The State of Ohio legal age for possession or consumption of alcoholic beverages is 21 years of age.

I've always been told to keep your drinks in a plastic cup and don't bring glass bottles. If we go to Woodbury, we'll have zero problems. Not sure how things work at the others, but you know people are drinking in the camp grounds there and that's the easy way to get around it...

DJK Frank 16

Supporting Member
Hardin County
What's the story with alcohol at these places? Hope I don't sound like a drunk.....

It's frowned upon in any state park, but if you keep it to yourself and in coolie cups and not get rowdy you are usually OK. But with the crew that could possibly assemble at this event, I would go somewhere that getting rowdy is not frowned upon! lmao

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
What's the story with alcohol at these places? Hope I don't sound like a drunk.....

I don't care what they think.. We'll just claim it's a religious practice. lmao

There's drunk joe standing in the road with the park ranger..

Awww come on man.. Dis heres a religious event.. I know my rights! lmao

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
It's frowned upon in any state park, but if you keep it to yourself and in coolie cups and not get rowdy you are usually OK. But with the crew that could possibly assemble at this event, I would go somewhere that getting rowdy is not frowned upon! lmao

That's why Woodbury look the most appealing. Here's the camp ground. Looks inviting for a group such as this!!! LOL!

Attachments

• untitled.jpg
    untitled.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 199

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
Damn you guys! First I can't make the fishing outing because the wife (Mothers Day Weekend) and now this. I will be leaving for my vacation on the 9th and be back the 19th. Have fun! I will be meeting Hornwilly and maybe Badger for some fishing that week in Florida.

I will be at the shoot at the Cardinal Center.

Beentown

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
The 11-12th weekend will be my only weekend available that month so it works for me.

As far as place...I don't care as long as I get out of the house and have a good time with some friends :smiley_clap:

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
If anything... We gonna eat till we pop, then eat some more. !! I went out this evening and hung 35 limb lines for catfish. Depending on the fishing, should take long to work up enough fillets. W gonna need Bacon too. LOTS of bacon..

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
My schedule is pretty booked with 2 birthday parties here at my house for my daughters and Mothers Day in between them! Dang it! Still keeping an eye on the TOO get together though, if I can make it, I'll try! Been wanting TOO meet alot of you guys. I just got alot on my plate. Been wanting TOO hook up with Dan sometime but my plate keeps getting refilled and I'm already STUFFED!