Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

TOO Turkey Chronicles - 2014 Edition

Hoytmania

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Gods Country
Haven heard a gobble yet. Been on two different properties for a total of three hunts. All I've seen is a few hens that wouldn't make a sound.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
It's been a weird year so far it seems. Some folks aren't seeing much, or hearing any gobbling, others are covered up. Monday was about as poor a day as I've ever had turkey hunting, Wednesday I was in 'em. I talked to a couple of people today that didn't hear a thing, and then got a text from a buddy that shot a tom in Pike Co...He had three of 'em gobbling their heads off all on the way in. He shot the first to show. Just never know from day to day what you'll find.

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
I just talked to some people that say they haven't been hearing much gobbling around here. They sure were fired up in Guernsey county this morning, I just couldn't kill one lol

bonemonger

kinsman ohio
had another great hunt today, went by myself first thing this morning and got to hear a awesome display of turkey vocalization. birds were gobbling, hens were yelping and cutting right in front of me. had 3 hens feeding in front of me when the first gobbler strutted past me. he got by me without a shot somehow, the next gobbler wasn't so lucky! texted my buddy and went and met him and his nephew. called a jake in where they were hunting. switched spots and called two longbeards in and my buddy killed one, the other bird walked 30 yards from his nephew and he didn't shoot because he thought there was too much brush in front of him. tried one last spot and had a bird coming and he just shut up. going to try and get his nephew a bird tomorrow.

Kaiser878

ohio
I really have no reason to complain. I have been very fortunate with sightings. I should be done. But I blew it today. I have seen birds everytime out. I have always said.I ain't the best turkey hunter. I do love to hunt them though. I will admit...this.morning when.I saw that tail fan.coming.over the break in the hill my heart was going about 90 mph .....then I whiffed. Ha but hey atleast I can.keep hunting. But that image will haunt menof that bird flying away

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
had another great hunt today, went by myself first thing this morning and got to hear a awesome display of turkey vocalization. birds were gobbling, hens were yelping and cutting right in front of me. had 3 hens feeding in front of me when the first gobbler strutted past me. he got by me without a shot somehow, the next gobbler wasn't so lucky! texted my buddy and went and met him and his nephew. called a jake in where they were hunting. switched spots and called two longbeards in and my buddy killed one, the other bird walked 30 yards from his nephew and he didn't shoot because he thought there was too much brush in front of him. tried one last spot and had a bird coming and he just shut up. going to try and get his nephew a bird tomorrow.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1398555255.281204.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1398555255.281204.jpg
    158.2 KB · Views: 109
Last edited:

Diablo54

Outside

You are the man.. That's all I have!

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Congratulations again slayers! Good luck tomorrow to whomever is going out! I think I'll go have a listen but don't think I'm going to hunt.

bonemonger

kinsman ohio
took my buddys nephew out this morning, set up on a big bird but he didn't want to leave his hens. tried a different woods with no birds heard. went to the third woods and fired a bird up right away, 5 minutes later two jakes came in and only one left. relocated in the woods and tried to get my buddy his second bird but all that came in was 5 jakes. wont hunt again till Saturday in pa.

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
Heard a couple different birds this morning but they weren't close enough. They logged the woods that the birds roosted in so that fugged everything up. Then we had a trespasser yelping on a pot call. I've got shit luck with these turkeys.

Boarhead

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Got rained on yesterday most of the morning saw one strutting with hens and he never gobbled once and this morning called 4 jakes in and they wouldn't shut up but gave them a pass just don't want to shoot a teenager. LOL

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
took my buddys nephew out this morning, set up on a big bird but he didn't want to leave his hens. tried a different woods with no birds heard. went to the third woods and fired a bird up right away, 5 minutes later two jakes came in and only one left. relocated in the woods and tried to get my buddy his second bird but all that came in was 5 jakes. wont hunt again till Saturday in pa.

Bob, your making this turkey killing look easy lol... Congrats too your buddy's nephew.....

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1398620299.489152.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1398620299.489152.jpg
    158.2 KB · Views: 107
Last edited:

Boarhead

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Shot one this morning had 2 inch spurs but his beard froze off this winter only had about 4 inches left but man was he a limbhanger.Will post pics later have to head to hospital for my moms surgery this afternoon.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Hate to hear that cotty. It happens A LOT with turkeys. If they are not hit squarely in the tiny kill zone, they are gone. Hope you can stumble onto him...