Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

TOO Turkey Chronicles - 2014 Edition

aholdren

Supporting Member
South East Ohio
It's great to be able to watch the spring woods come to life. I cashed in around 6:45, he only gobbled twice but that was enough to put me in range to work him. He's a three year old with a 9 3/8 beard and 1 1/8 and 1 inch spurs. He weighed. 20#. image.jpg

Last edited:

Diablo54

Outside
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1398347288.674411.jpg

I heard a good bird gobbling on the hill with me so I sat down and started mouth calling lightly. He wouldn't cut me off or gobble right back at me but if I kept my mouth shut too long he would gobble. He started working to my right rather than right at me. So I moved right and 75 yards closer and called lightly. He gobbled a few times but of course was not wanting to commit. Then 2 more gobbled on my left that I hadn't heard all morning. I made a few purrs and shut up. I heard them fly across the ravine. Then I could hear them coming in the leaves. They would gobble every few minutes. They came up to the top of the hill with me at 30 yards. Both of them were jakes but they tried there best to put on a show. I almost didn't shoot but with how things have been all week and people asking me to take them hunting but all of them said I needed to kill one first I figured I better. I cut and yelped just to make them gobble a few times and them put the bead on one and shot. He flopped and the other ran to him and kicked the crap out of him. I got up and got him and the other jake wouldn't leave. He just ran around like an idiot. He is no big long beard but it was fun and he will taste good. That's why we have 2 tags any way!
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1398347756.089839.jpg

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
Listening for birds at the in-laws this evening. Have not had a chance to make it out here until tonight. Damn crop sprayer just hit the field behind me, 4 passes on about an 8 acre field and he was done. Those things are huge.

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
Had a tom stroll by my scouting spot at 8:20. I didn't hear him fly up cause he went over the hill, but he ain't far if he was out running that late. Hopefully he's still around on Saturday morning.

bigten05

*Supporting Member*
knox county ohio
I went out last night to a usual hot spot to roost some birds. Nothing. I couldn't beleave it. First time I've never seen birds in there. Its not looking good for me.