Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

TOO Turkey Chronicles - 2014 Edition

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I had my first hunt this morning. Had a great hunt as far as seeing and hearing birds but had no shot opportunities though. Ended up seeing 4 hens(2 came within 25-30 yds) and 2 jakes and 1 Tom out at about 130 yards. They stopped when I did a few light yelps but continued on. They might have watched me relocate to that spot from a distant tree line but I'm not sure.

The first set which was 200 yards away I had 2-3 birds gobbling like crazy from 6-6:45 when another hunter who apparently was right under them or nearby after fly down smacked one of em in the face. The blast somewhate startled me as I had no idea someone else was hunting across the creek from me this morning. The thrashing his bird made after the shot sounded like it was about 100 yards away just across the creek. Oh well, congrats to the hunter! It was a beautiful morning to be in the timber!

Congrats to those who killed today!

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I bet it "somewhat startled you"...hehe Change your britches? Glad you got out Ric.

I had a pretty good hunt this morning. I arrived at the farm a little later than I like, but it was early enough. I climbed the first hill where I intended to wait for gobbles. As soon as I sat down, the bird I was hoping to hear let loose about 150 yards to the north of me. Just as I'd hoped! Saturday, this bird moved down the hill he was roosted on so I knew I needed to slip around him. I did that pretty quick, and slid into the timber on the opposite side. As soon as I sat down, I noticed three of his hens roosted about 60 yards from me, but they didn't seem to mind me being there... The boss pitched down and landed about 30 yards to my left. She proceeded to run through every call a turkey hunter would ever practice. It was impressive. She eased on into a cut cornfield, the other hens went up the ridge to meet the gobbler. He strutted and gobbled for a time on the opposite ridge, and then circled into the ravine that separated us. He continued on to the cornfield (which was behind me), so I repositioned about 50 yards so that he would not be able to see me (or I him) until he was within gun range. He gobbled, the hens ran off at the mouth, pheasants cackled, deer walked by (4)....just an awesome morning! The old boss hen and I had quite a conversation with the gobbler interrupting everything we had to say until 845 when the hen finally crested the hill, gobbler in tow. I let her pass, watched him gobble a couple more times, and put him to sleep. It was a very exciting morning in my little part of the turkey woods. Days like today make me happy turkey season doesn't last all year - I never would get any sleep!

He is a two year old, I think. 22lbs, 3/4" spurs or so, and 101/2" beard. Nice young bird, as old as he'll ever be.

Attachments

• Buckskin-20140423-01446.jpg
    Buckskin-20140423-01446.jpg
    276.6 KB · Views: 134

Kaiser878

ohio
It was a good day for a lot of folks today.

I shot.one at 650 this morning.
uploadfromtaptalk1398290559531.jpg

Much to my surprise I didn't look at his beard when I shot.him. he was in full strut and I saw he.had.a full fan and kaboom. Well his beard was.about 4 inches....it did have 4 strands left from original length. Which woulda been 9.5 inches. He has 1 inch spurs. Didn't weigh him. Id assume somewhere around the 20lb mark

LonewolfNopack

The woods
I bet it "somewhat startled you"...hehe Change your britches? Glad you got out Ric.

I had a pretty good hunt this morning. I arrived at the farm a little later than I like, but it was early enough. I climbed the first hill where I intended to wait for gobbles. As soon as I sat down, the bird I was hoping to hear let loose about 150 yards to the north of me. Just as I'd hoped! Saturday, this bird moved down the hill he was roosted on so I knew I needed to slip around him. I did that pretty quick, and slid into the timber on the opposite side. As soon as I sat down, I noticed three of his hens roosted about 60 yards from me, but they didn't seem to mind me being there... The boss pitched down and landed about 30 yards to my left. She proceeded to run through every call a turkey hunter would ever practice. It was impressive. She eased on into a cut cornfield, the other hens went up the ridge to meet the gobbler. He strutted and gobbled for a time on the opposite ridge, and then circled into the ravine that separated us. He continued on to the cornfield (which was behind me), so I repositioned about 50 yards so that he would not be able to see me (or I him) until he was within gun range. He gobbled, the hens ran off at the mouth, pheasants cackled, deer walked by (4)....just an awesome morning! The old boss hen and I had quite a conversation with the gobbler interrupting everything we had to say until 845 when the hen finally crested the hill, gobbler in tow. I let her pass, watched him gobble a couple more times, and put him to sleep. It was a very exciting morning in my little part of the turkey woods. Days like today make me happy turkey season doesn't last all year - I never would get any sleep!

He is a two year old, I think. 22lbs, 3/4" spurs or so, and 101/2" beard. Nice young bird, as old as he'll ever be.

Brock,

Awesome hunt? Was this the Alfalfa field bird by chance?

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
No Seth it was not. I drove by the alfalfa field on my way home. He was out there. It was about 930 or so, and there he was, same place as Monday evening. I still haven't heard back from the guy that owns that field regarding helping out his friend. That bird is begging to be shot! Maybe Townzen will take you over there this weekend. He used to hunt there. That landowner thinks a lot of him...and I don't know why. :)

Diablo54

Outside
I killed a little jake this morning they came running up the hollar to me. After the last couple of days of no action I figured I better.