Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

TOO Turkey Report '18

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Once again, could have shot the old truck bird off the limb. He never said a word and eventually flew down in the creek. I may just wait for that skinny bearded guy in the creek tomorrow

Reactions: Bigslam51

huntn2

Hudson, OH
Not much can match the beauty of a spring morning...

Attachments

• E196CC9C-3B5F-4249-9DA1-B000DE1256C1.jpeg
    E196CC9C-3B5F-4249-9DA1-B000DE1256C1.jpeg
    990 KB · Views: 289

huntn2

Hudson, OH
Awesome man! Congrats. Tell us the story.

Went back out where I had a great hunt 2 weeks ago. Hadn’t been able to make it out over that time due to moving.

Setup to cut off birds based on what they did 2 weeks ago. One finally sounded off in the same area they were roosted last time out so things were looking promising. He skirted me 80 yards to my south and got behind me. When I called he would hammer, but wouldn’t commit. I finally was able to move trees based on where he had wondered off to.

I watched him strutting again across a little dip before he headed off to the south. No matter what I threw at him, he would gobble but not commit. He went over a ridge to the south and I pulled out my Sasquatch walnut slate and Tuskyriver striker. I’m not great with friction calls so it was my last resort.

I hit the slate and could tell it turned him. I stuck with it and now he was on a mission, headed my way. Down across the suttle draw and to the decoys he strutted. Once he got to about 30 yards, I let the 3.5” Winchester Supreme fly. Down he went.

Good to end my drought.

Hoytmania

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Gods Country
Congrats Ryan. Had another start gobbling around 8:45. He shut up and ce on in. Was right over a ridge top. So when I saw him he saw me. He was at 15 yds. Pulled off a shot but no such luck cause he was already turning and taking off.

Guess I'll go back out in the morning and try and even the score.

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
Congrats Ryan. Had another start gobbling around 8:45. He shut up and ce on in. Was right over a ridge top. So when I saw him he saw me. He was at 15 yds. Pulled off a shot but no such luck cause he was already turning and taking off.

Guess I'll go back out in the morning and try and even the score.
Didn't have yourself blended in good enough?

Buddy and me went down to camp on Friday evening. We heard a couple of birds but they were across on the other mountain and didn't have enough time to make a move on them. Went out this morning and heard a couple of birds on the roost, but they were across the mountain as well. When they come off they shut-up. We moved on out the ridge and had one answer us. We set up and he was on his way in. Gobbled pretty good and got to about 80 yards but wouldn't come up over to us. After that we heard a couple of birds but they weren't in the mood to play. All in all it was a pretty good morning.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Buddy and me went down to camp on Friday evening. We heard a couple of birds but they were across on the other mountain and didn't have enough time to make a move on them. Went out this morning and heard a couple of birds on the roost, but they were across the mountain as well. When they come off they shut-up. We moved on out the ridge and had one answer us. We set up and he was on his way in. Gobbled pretty good and got to about 80 yards but wouldn't come up over to us. After that we heard a couple of birds but they weren't in the mood to play. All in all it was a pretty good morning.

I hate it when birds hang up like that. In the past I have left the shooter in position and walked back away from the bird, sometimes it has worked and sometimes not but its always worth a shot.

Reactions: Bigslam51 and cspot

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County

I hate it when birds hang up like that. In the past I have left the shooter in position and walked back away from the bird, sometimes it has worked and sometimes not but its always worth a shot.
Good tactic to use

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County

The ghost blind blew over, as soon as it fell I saw a turkey in the field. It was a hen, and I don't know why she didn't spook but she fed for another 20 minutes before she left and I could set it back up. If that would of been a longbeard I would of been pissed!

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Tight lipped birds today. Set up on one that only gobbled twice on the roost. One to the north about 400 yards away only gobbled twice. Then one to the south was hammering about 20 times. After flydown we left the silent birds and headed for the loudmouth from earlier. Could not get him to gobble. As we snuck to the edge of a field we could see him out there. We called and he would half strut or strut for a second but never gobble. While we were messing with him there was one further south about 500 yards in the woods just hammering. After the field bird went off in the woods with his hens we hit the loudmouth bird. 15 minutes ago he was gobbling his head off, now nothing.

Last edited: