Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

TOO Weight Loss - Biggest Loser Edition

Quantum673

Black Hat Cajun
Supporting Member
Well after several months of not paying attention to my food intake or really anything my weight has skyrocketed. I am currently the heaviest I have ever been.

Sunday I made the decision that enough is enough. It is time to get serious about getting back to a healthy weight. I spent a couple hours on Sunday putting a plan together. Monday started the Keto eating. I am using Car manager app to track everything. I am allowed 23g of carbs daily and approximately 1800 calories.

I was hesitant as hell to try keto. The main reason is because I grew up having some type of bread with every meal. Not to mention as most of you know I really like my beer. I knew that was going to be the toughest challenge for me. Happy to say that so far it hasn't been bad at all. Obviously we are extremely early in the process. Carb Manager has a ton of keto dishes on their website so it keeps the variety.

I am also adding some exercise to the regiment. Nothing crazy to start. I am doing at least 30 minutes on the treadmill a day. Mainly walking briskly but adding some jogging in. Plan is to be jogging the 30 minutes by end of November. I will also have wrestling practice starting back in a few weeks so I will get another workout in at least one day a week.

My ultimate goal is to lose almost 30lbs. I think I can do it by mid January. I will fit in a cheat day every couple weeks where I can have a few beers for sanity sake.

OhioWhiteTails

Supporting Member
Flatlands
Jon, I'm no fitness guru but I can tell you that carbs mean nothing as long as you're in a calorie deficit. While dropping weight earlier this year I was eating rice like it was going out of style and still dropped without doing any extensive cardio. Remember, carbs are the source of energy so they are needed. Not trying to derail your diet or anything, because i think it's great your making a change for the better.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Jon, I'm no fitness guru but I can tell you that carbs mean nothing as long as you're in a calorie deficit. While dropping weight earlier this year I was eating rice like it was going out of style and still dropped without doing any extensive cardio. Remember, carbs are the source of energy so they are needed. Not trying to derail your diet or anything, because i think it's great your making a change for the better.

I'll challenge this a bit, but do agree with your statement on the caloric deficit being a key driver to weight loss. I lost 60#s in 6 months on keto doing 25g per day or less of carbs. The whole point of keto is to exhaust blood and liver glycogen, which is driven by carb intake, in order to "flip" to burning fat for fuel. I felt the best I ever felt on keto and was able to increase my net carb intake to 75g after the 6 months and was still getting into ketosis with time-restricted eating and regular 20-24 fasts. By restricting carbs, you burn more fat than you will with 100-150+g of carbs, even if you are in a caloric deficit. The extreme restriction of carbs optimizes the weight cut because you burn through blood and liver glycogen faster, thereby flipping to fat for fuel faster.

It boils down to your body type, goals, and honestly, what kind of discipline you have, but you can survive without carbs and still have gas in the take. The carnivore diet is an extreme example of this and given the right physiology, it's a great method for achieving a healthy body and mind, and achieving optimal performance.

Good luck, Jon! My GERD/heartburn is going to force me to get my shit straight very soon. I've been considering 28 days of carnivore eating only deer, fish, seafood, drinking bone broth, and eating eggs. Treat it as a "cleanse" and reset of my body.

OhioWhiteTails

Supporting Member
Flatlands
I'll challenge this a bit, but do agree with your statement on the caloric deficit being a key driver to weight loss. I lost 60#s in 6 months on keto doing 25g per day or less of carbs. The whole point of keto is to exhaust blood and liver glycogen, which is driven by carb intake, in order to "flip" to burning fat for fuel. I felt the best I ever felt on keto and was able to increase my net carb intake to 75g after the 6 months and was still getting into ketosis with time-restricted eating and regular 20-24 fasts. By restricting carbs, you burn more fat than you will with 100-150+g of carbs, even if you are in a caloric deficit. The extreme restriction of carbs optimizes the weight cut because you burn through blood and liver glycogen faster, thereby flipping to fat for fuel faster.

It boils down to your body type, goals, and honestly, what kind of discipline you have, but you can survive without carbs and still have gas in the take. The carnivore diet is an extreme example of this and given the right physiology, it's a great method for achieving a healthy body and mind, and achieving optimal performance.

Good luck, Jon! My GERD/heartburn is going to force me to get my shit straight very soon. I've been considering 28 days of carnivore eating only deer, fish, seafood, drinking bone broth, and eating eggs. Treat it as a "cleanse" and reset of my body.
Wholeheartedly agree, Jesse. My statement was to give Jon some potential buffer room for "cheating" on some meals.

Quantum673

Black Hat Cajun
Supporting Member
Great explanation Jesse.

So far 23g has been no issue. I feel like I am eating good and not really ever hungry. The meals are extremely tasty so I am happy. When you can eat meals like Pan seared Venison with broccoli and mushrooms in a parmesan cheese sauce it makes it easy. This may all change in the next couple days as my body makes the necessary adjustments.

There may be some adjustments to the total net Carbs daily as I go.

My wife is a doctor and setup our easy weight loss/life changing plan. We had 2 kids, 14 months apart, and she gained pregnancy weight and I gained sympathy weight. My healthy weight has always been around 195. I played pro soccer 20 years ago and weighed 200. I’m now 39 and 195 fits me well. I ballooned up to 233 during and after the pregnancies.

We literally did just a simple calorie counting diet. Nothing fancy. No carb counting. No keto. No “magic” crap. Calories in and that’s it. I ate 2000 calories a day and my wife did 1800 because she was breastfeeding. I stopped drinking beer at night and chose gin and tonic if I wanted a drink here and there. I gave up all soda and sweet tea. We still ate anything we wanted, but just in smaller quantities. I lost 40 pounds in 6 months and have kept it off for the last 4 months. I’m at 193 today. My wife lost 49 pounds to date and weighs less than when we got married. She looks and feels fantastic. I feel fantastic.

The key is doing it together and being accountable. The best purchase we ever made was to buy the Renpho scale. It has an app for your phone and is Bluetooth enabled. Each morning we weigh ourselves and our weight is tracked in each other’s phone. We can see each other’s weight and progress and hold ourselves accountable to each other. It was also somewhat of a competition and we had little fun bets about it. There’s no magic about any of it. Calories in, calories burned. I’ve actually increased to 2400 calories a day because I’m more active with the kids and sports, and maintain my weight. I’ve never been higher than 200 and was actually at 189 one day. Best of luck!!

Quantum673

Black Hat Cajun
Supporting Member
I am down almost 10lbs as of this morning. Hit 179.2lbs. I had almost a week at 180.6 so it was good to see that I finally started moving in the right direction again. If I can keep losing at this rate I will make my goal by mid January. I expect the weight loss rate will slow down some as I go.

So far the keto eating hasn't been bad. I have averaged one cheat meal each week.