Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Truck Leveling

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I'm at the dentist office now with Klay. Have 4wd a try on the way here. Road through town and only got up to 45mph. The truck wobbled but only when starting out at a red light. Once I got going it was ok. Of course, the dry pavement may have contributed a little, but it was a pretty good wobble.
I read where guys get wobbling when on a highway running 4wd at higher speeds. I guess time will tell.

In 2wd it runs jut as smooth as before.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Only time I am in 4wd on dry pavement is taking off with a MAJOR load on the trailer. I have done this to avoid wheel hop, although it is generally not an issue unless the pavement is slightly wet or you are starting off going uphill.

High speed and 4wd is also a no-go for me. When are you ever going to be going over 45mph in 4wd? Don't most truck manufacturers have a recommendation of not to exceed xxmph in 4wd? Usually around 45-55mph I think. Sounds like you will be okay. Going to be rare occasions where you would ever duplicate the conditions you got the wobble.

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Exactly what I was thinking. I mean, I've been on the highway in slightly slushy conditions going 50mph or so and had 4WD in before just to make sure that back end wouldn't swing around in my old Tacoma.

But, on dry pavement, trucks in 4wd don't act right anyway. I figure in the mud, snow, etc... it'll feel normal. I guess time will tell. 95% of the time the truck is in 2wd anyway.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Exactly what I was thinking. I mean, I've been on the highway in slightly slushy conditions going 50mph or so and had 4WD in before just to make sure that back end wouldn't swing around in my old Tacoma.

But, on dry pavement, trucks in 4wd don't act right anyway. I figure in the mud, snow, etc... it'll feel normal. I guess time will tell. 95% of the time the truck is in 2wd anyway.

Yup. I even plow snow in 2wd better than 75% of the time. You get stuck in 2wd. . .put it in 4wd. Get stuck in 4wd. . . you are screwed.

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Need more advice from our resident monkey wrenches! I'm now contemplating the next step in customizing my Dodge. I want to go from this...
DodgeBefore.jpg

To this...
DodgeAfter.JPG

I have been researching the Bushwhacker fenders. I think I'm good on that end. My question now is what else do I need to do to get this look besides a lift? I don't think I'm going to do a lift. Do I need to do anything to the wheels? Offset rims (which i dont wanna do)? Obviously, the tires are better. I still have the factory ones on and will until at least the fall. Or, can I just add the fenders and it will look good? I'm worried the wheels will be sitting too far in for the fenders to look right.

Fill me in on your thoughts.

Last edited:

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio
Just take your truck and trade it in on that one! Problem solved!!!

I can tell you from experience that you definitely don't want your tires sticking out further than the fender flares, especially if you are doing any off-roading. You will never keep that truck clean if you do that. If you plan on changing the stock wheels, I would start with the fender flares, then maybe buy a wheel with an offset to give you a wider stance, but still inside the fender.

Looks like you would need a little lift as well.

aholdren

Supporting Member
South East Ohio
You need to find out how wide a tire will fit on your rims now, are they 8"? If you can fit a 11.5" wide tire you definitely wont be inside the flares to much. I think if you can get a 33X11.5X20 on their now you will be as close a look to the other truck you can get with out 6" lift. JMO.

Call Wheeling Tire and they will tell you what you need.

Ricer2231

I put a 2" level in my 2006 Dodge a couple years ago. I used the spacer that replaces the strut bracket, basically a new strut bracket with a 2" spacer welded into it. As far as the wobble goes, I haven't experienced that at all. And as far as my tire width was concerned it wasn't so much an issue of them sticking out on the stock rims it was a matter of the wider tire rubbing the upper control arm on the inside. I have a couple before and after pics on my home computer that I can post later today. One thing I would recommend you stay away from is wheel spacers. I couldn't bring myself to trust even the best billet aluminum ones. TOO many horror stories.

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
You need to find out how wide a tire will fit on your rims now, are they 8"? If you can fit a 11.5" wide tire you definitely wont be inside the flares to much. I think if you can get a 33X11.5X20 on their now you will be as close a look to the other truck you can get with out 6" lift. JMO.

Call Wheeling Tire and they will tell you what you need.

Wheeling Tire is who put on my leveling kit. I might just have to take a run down there one day and have them look at what I want to do.

5Cent

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
North Central Ohio
Looks like a 3-4" suspension lift, new wheels, new tires, flares, and completely different trim package (front/rear painted bumpers, painted mirrors)

In conclusion....trade it in and buy a Rock River Dodge pre built, and warrantied off the lot.

Huckleberry Finn

Looks like a 3-4" suspension lift, new wheels, new tires, flares, and completely different trim package (front/rear painted bumpers, painted mirrors)

In conclusion....trade it in and buy a Rock River Dodge pre built, and warrantied off the lot.

Damn, figured you would at least tell him to trade it in for a GMC or Chevy!

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member

Damn it, Adam! You're not telling me what I wanna hear. Trying to get me divorced and shit. Lol

As much as I'd like a lift I can't afford it right now. I guess my main question was if those bushwhacker fenders would look right with my existing wheels. I'm due for new tires before winter, but they're still good for the summer.
Or would I need offset rims to make t look right?

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio
Damn it, Adam! You're not telling me what I wanna hear. Trying to get me divorced and shit. Lol

As much as I'd like a lift I can't afford it right now. I guess my main question was if those bushwhacker fenders would look right with my existing wheels. I'm due for new tires before winter, but they're still good for the summer.

Got a view from the rear looking down one side?

5Cent

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
North Central Ohio

IMO, no, the whackers are going to look out of place w/o atleast a larger tire to bring it together. It would remind me of guys who had the monster trucks and stick the skinny/OEM tires on there for the trailer, then throw on the mudders when they get to the trail head.

Just my $.05 Mike, carry on :)

5Cent

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
North Central Ohio
Damn, figured you would at least tell him to trade it in for a GMC or Chevy!

LOL Huck, I have found that the Dodge Ram 1500 owners are a dense headed group. They are a special breed of their own. If it had a Cummins under the hood, then I would lighten up, but the 1500 Rams owners live in a world all of their own. A world I just can not understand.... :smiley_boxing: