Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Turkey Season LIVE! - 2022 Edition

Bighoun52

In the woods
F9C02FB4-074E-4FBB-BED6-1B727D176FD7.jpeg

Brother in law smacked one in the face this morning. Fun fun hunt. Lots of gobbling. Big boys had the hens and this one came in hard and fast

Sgt Fury

Sgt. Spellchecker
Worst start so far…one lone gobbler at the very far end of the swamp this morning…so far that I could barely hear him. Came in to the woods during a downpour and didn’t have my raincoat in the truck…got soaked. Temps were in the mid to upper 40’s so I froze my butt off for a few hours. Had a small buck twenty yards from the blind. That’s the only excitement so far. May call it a day in another hour or so.
F9B68680-F80B-43C9-8A70-EA6F9F329849.jpeg
5DFC7EB4-B796-4C4E-8A53-88C7AD35924A.jpeg

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
049D673F-39D7-49F8-A572-6DF8CC288F7E.jpeg
93D48A8A-10FD-4BFA-A313-69A4CEE1710A.jpeg

I had a little buddy in the blind this morning. I suppose he was glad to have a dry spot with the storms we had yesterday. He stayed with me all morning.
Once again, could have killed a gobbler if I took a gun instead of this stupid recurve. That is 8 or 9 now in six hunts. I’m sure I’m seeing the same birds repeatedly. And I’m sure I hate decoys. When they work they are amazing. Unfortunately, 9 times out of ten, the birds will skirt around them as is shown in the attached picture. This dude was coming on a string, until he saw the decoys.
Back at it w the bow in the morning. I’m heading down to hunt with Mason on Saturday. He will be coming home for the summer when we are done hunting.

Sgt Fury

Sgt. Spellchecker
I have buzzard luck! Had the Tom gobbling 100 yards behind me since daybreak. Hen comes in and is very vocal. We chat and the Tom is going nuts. He gets about 40-50 yards behind me and I’m thinking “he has to be able to see the strutting Tom decoy by now”. I was right…he must’ve seen it because the pussy left the area. Next gobble I hear is about 150 yards away. Tomorrow is the last day for my permit and I’m not going to use a single decoy!🤬

Sgt Fury

Sgt. Spellchecker
Just heard him again…200 yards and it’s possible he crossed the creek. He has a very distinctive gobble so I know it’s the same one that’s been screwing me all week. I’ve never seen a Tom that was so decoy shy. Going to an auction this afternoon so I may call it quits for today. Don’t want to waste any more time. Hopefully he roosts the usual spot and tomorrow I’ll try to ambush him. Cock sucker!🖕🤬

I have buzzard luck! Had the Tom gobbling 100 yards behind me since daybreak. Hen comes in and is very vocal. We chat and the Tom is going nuts. He gets about 40-50 yards behind me and I’m thinking “he has to be able to see the strutting Tom decoy by now”. I was right…he must’ve seen it because the pussy left the area. Next gobble I hear is about 150 yards away. Tomorrow is the last day for my permit and I’m not going to use a single decoy!🤬

Perhaps try a call you haven’t used yet on him tomorrow. That or just scratch leaves and cluck/purr once in a while. Give him something he hasn’t experienced in the last several days. Including silence if need be.

Spencie

Constitution Ohio
Just heard him again…200 yards and it’s possible he crossed the creek. He has a very distinctive gobble so I know it’s the same one that’s been screwing me all week. I’ve never seen a Tom that was so decoy shy. Going to an auction this afternoon so I may call it quits for today. Don’t want to waste any more time. Hopefully he roosts the usual spot and tomorrow I’ll try to ambush him. Cock sucker!🖕🤬
Can you set up somewhere other than the blind? Get where he wants to be not where you want him to be.

Sgt Fury

Sgt. Spellchecker
The blind is in a spot that they normally travel to get from the roosting spot to the fields…it’s in a pinch point between a nasty green briar thicket and a swamp. They will go through the swamp if they see something that they don’t like. Tomorrow I’m going to set up without any decoys and not call unless that talkative hen comes back….otherwise, I’ll just sit and wait for him to walk by.