Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Turkeys spring 23'

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Here’s the story for anyone interested:
Mason and I went out to the gar hole farm. We haven’t been out there to listen for a couple years. Mason took a buddy out there to kill a bird in 2020. He and I haven’t shot one there since 2018. Prior to that I think we had shot a few too many out there and the population showed it. There just weren’t many around for a number of years.
Having not been there to listen this year, I decided to have Mason drop me off on the east side while he drove around to the west side to see if he could hear a bird. He did, but I already had a couple going across the township road from our place. Over the years I’ve probably called a half dozen birds across the road, across a creek and up a hill to my gun. I thought today would be the same so I told Mason to join me. The bird did just as many of his predecessors had done and I shot him at about 20 yards or so.
We had to drive back across the farm so we stopped to see if we could strike up another bird. We did and since it was still early we looked for them and found two longbeards strutting for a lone hen. We fooled with them for a while. We even drove the truck within 40 yards of them, making them gobble the entire time. It was a lot of fun this morning but I could not help but think I could have set up and killed a bird out there with my recurve. Maybe next year. 😁

jkraftjr

Here’s the story for anyone interested:
Mason and I went out to the gar hole farm. We haven’t been out there to listen for a couple years. Mason took a buddy out there to kill a bird in 2020. He and I haven’t shot one there since 2018. Prior to that I think we had shot a few too many out there and the population showed it. There just weren’t many around for a number of years.
Having not been there to listen this year, I decided to have Mason drop me off on the east side while he drove around to the west side to see if he could hear a bird. He did, but I already had a couple going across the township road from our place. Over the years I’ve probably called a half dozen birds across the road, across a creek and up a hill to my gun. I thought today would be the same so I told Mason to join me. The bird did just as many of his predecessors had done and I shot him at about 20 yards or so.
We had to drive back across the farm so we stopped to see if we could strike up another bird. We did and since it was still early we looked for them and found two longbeards strutting for a lone hen. We fooled with them for a while. We even drove the truck within 40 yards of them, making them gobble the entire time. It was a lot of fun this morning but I could not help but think I could have set up and killed a bird out there with my recurve. Maybe next year. 😁
Congrats on a successful hunt and a nice bird!

Reactions: brock ratcliff

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
You guys make it looks easy. But I know how hard you worked to make this happen. Congrats. Now go feed the mice🤣
Didn’t even bother this time. Mason actually saved his fan and mounted it on a nice plaque one of his friends made. Mine on the other hand is already gone. Someone just the other day asked why we don’t save them and my reply was pretty simple… where would I have put 40 fans? They are pretty, but one or two is enough. 😊

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
🤣 gar hole huh? Far from it unless I’m there. It’s my luck, seems like nothing comes easy for me but that’s what makes it soo rewarding. Congrats big guy!
No I actually took you to a gar hole. 😁. This is our farm but not the one where we set up the blind. Mason is taking a friend over to the gar hole I took you to in the morning. I just showed him the video of you getting ready to kill that fellas decoy. Honestly it’s scary to watch. If you were the type to throw up a gun and shoot quick, that could have gone bad very easily.

triple_duece

Ragin Cajun.
No I actually took you to a gar hole. 😁. This is our farm but not the one where we set up the blind. Mason is taking a friend over to the gar hole I took you to in the morning. I just showed him the video of you getting ready to kill that fellas decoy. Honestly it’s scary to watch. If you were the type to throw up a gun and shoot quick, that could have gone bad very easily.
Seen enough bad shit in my life to know better than to shoot something Im not sure of. I was worried about you when we got up and you was looking to investigate. That’s why I kinda hollered at you to walk away long the fence. TAKE NO CHANCES!