Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

What's For Dinner?

Bowkills

Nw oh
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Grilling in the living room tonight.

She made us some good crispy wings in the air fryer last night and boy were they good. Dusted with my chicken dry rub, cooked crispy, and tossed in a sweet mustard bbq sauce. Oh yea, and while they were cooking she went the extra mile and cooked us some semi keto cheese sticks that were awesome. Dredged and rolled in her mix of seasoning, ground pork rinds, parmesan, and just a hint of flour. Cooked on broil and paired with a homeade marinara sauce. The texture was perfect. Crunch on the outside and nice and stringy on the inside!! Big hit!
Screenshot_20210117-112234_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20210117-112239_Gallery.jpg

Hedgelj

Supporting Member
Mohicanish
Hmmmm

I grilled a turkey breast the other night.

Made 2lbs of sausage gravy, biscuits and fried eggs for breakfast.

I've got 2 quarts of stock, 3/4 cup pearled barley, noodles, package of frozen mixed veggies, some seasoning and about half of that grilled turkey breast chopped up simmering away in the dutch oven i got for Christmas.

Sgt Fury

Sgt. Spellchecker
Hmmmm

I grilled a turkey breast the other night.

Made 2lbs of sausage gravy, biscuits and fried eggs for breakfast.

I've got 2 quarts of stock, 3/4 cup pearled barley, noodles, package of frozen mixed veggies, some seasoning and about half of that grilled turkey breast chopped up simmering away in the dutch oven i got for Christmas.

Wife started a roast yesterday afternoon, just had a plate, Fuckin yummy
Pics or it didn’t happen!😂

Reactions: the Lackster

Stressless

Keene, OH
We delayed our Xmas dinner until my Mrs. best friend got cleared to come over from Germany. So here's the recipe and couple pics...

Christmas Dinner Venison Backstrap with reduced Portobello mushroom sauce over Spätzle

1 Backstrap 4-6 pounds or 10 oz per person fat and tendon removed
2 tbls bacon grease
24 oz whole baby portobellas sliced
Spätzle fresh or boxed ~ 6oz cooked per person (Bavarian Kitchen | German Recipes | Spaetzle - German Home-Made Noodles)
1 ½ cup full body dry red wine
1 ½ cup water
1 tsp each - Better than bouillon – Mushroon and Roasted Beef
EVOO
2 Tbls unsalted butter
2 Tbls cornstarch
2 Tbls water
Ground Salt
Ground Pepper

Backstrap:

Let backstrap warm to room temperature after trimming, cut into lengths just under the width of the skillet used to brown it in. Grind fresh salt and pepper on all sides of backstrap, skillet should be at med-high with the bacon grease (just under smoking) - add backstrap cuts to skillet and turn at 30-45secs or when nicely browned, brown all sides. Remove to 9"x13" baking dish that has been wiped with EVOO repeat for all backstrap cuts. Oven should be at 325 convection or 350 conventional add backstrap lengths in baking dish uncovered; set timer for 12 mins. Check with meat thermometer when timer is done should be about 120F. (Note: Check a AVERAGE diameter piece - some will be more done 'thinner' some will be less done 'thicker') check every 3 mins I find 137F-1425F makes everyone happy. Some will be rare some med-well. Remove and let stand NOT LESS then 5 mins. Pour baking pan drippings into simmering mushrooms. Cut at slight diagonal about 1", 3 cuts is plenty for most folks each will be about 3-4oz each. Sort to guest preference.

Mushroom Sauce:

Add water, Mushroom and Beef bouillon and red wine to skillet increase to high - rub drippings off bottom while boiling reduce by 1/3. Add cornstarch and water together in measuring cup stir, set aside. Reduce heat to med high add mushrooms stir, after baking pan drippings are added from the roasted backstraps, turn heat to high and bring to boil - as soon as it boils, stir cornstarch mix(it will have settled) and add to sauce pan stirring mushroom mixture throughout. Reduce heat to simmer as soon as mixture thickens to your desired consistency.

Spätzle:

Add spätzle to correct amount of boiling salted water for # of guests. Cook per recipe.

Spoon spätzle onto plate with venison and add mushroom sauce to spätzle and across venison portions. Have a good red wine poured, sit down and enjoy one of the finest meals in the world. An animal that gave it's life to sustain you and those around your table, felled by your skill and you all are prepared to rejoice it's life.

Key to the Mushroom sauce is heavy browning of the backstrap.
20210121_184040d.jpg

20210122_100220.jpg

Last edited:
We delayed our Xmas dinner until my Mrs. best friend got cleared to come over from Germany. So here's the recipe and couple pics...

Christmas Dinner Venison Backstrap with reduced Portobello mushroom sauce over Spätzle

1 Backstrap 4-6 pounds or 10 oz per person fat and tendon removed
2 tbls bacon grease
24 oz whole baby portobellas sliced
Spätzle fresh or boxed ~ 6oz cooked per person (Bavarian Kitchen | German Recipes | Spaetzle - German Home-Made Noodles)
1 ½ cup full body dry red wine
1 ½ cup water
1 tsp each - Better than bouillon – Mushroon and Roasted Beef
EVOO
2 Tbls unsalted butter
2 Tbls cornstarch
2 Tbls water
Ground Salt
Ground Pepper

Backstrap:

Let backstrap warm to room temperature after trimming, cut into lengths just under the width of the skillet used to brown it in. Grind fresh salt and pepper on all sides of backstrap, skillet should be at med-high with the bacon grease (just under smoking) - add backstrap cuts to skillet and turn at 30-45secs or when nicely browned, brown all sides. Remove to 9"x13" baking dish that has been wiped with EVOO repeat for all backstrap cuts. Oven should be at 325 convection or 350 conventional add backstrap lengths in baking dish uncovered; set timer for 12 mins. Check with meat thermometer when timer is done should be about 120F. (Note: Check a AVERAGE diameter piece - some will be more done 'thinner' some will be less done 'thicker') check every 3 mins I find 137F-1425F makes everyone happy. Some will be rare some med-well. Remove and let stand NOT LESS then 5 mins. Pour baking pan drippings into simmering mushrooms. Cut at slight diagonal about 1", 3 cuts is plenty for most folks each will be about 3-4oz each. Sort to guest preference.

Mushroom Sauce:

Add water, Mushroom and Beef bouillon and red wine to skillet increase to high - rub drippings off bottom while boiling reduce by 1/3. Add cornstarch and water together in measuring cup stir, set aside. Reduce heat to med high add mushrooms stir, after baking pan drippings are added from the roasted backstraps, turn heat to high and bring to boil - as soon as it boils, stir cornstarch mix(it will have settled) and add to sauce pan stirring mushroom mixture throughout. Reduce heat to simmer as soon as mixture thickens to your desired consistency.

Spätzle:

Add spätzle to correct amount of boiling salted water for # of guests. Cook per recipe.

Spoon spätzle onto plate with venison and add mushroom sauce to spätzle and across venison portions. Have a good red wine poured, sit down and enjoy one of the finest meals in the world. An animal that gave it's life to sustain you and those around your table, felled by your skill and you all are prepared to rejoice it's life.

Key to the Mushroom sauce is heavy browning of the backstrap.
View attachment 119524

View attachment 119525
very nice!!