Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

What's your choice of handgun for close range coyote hunting?

I've hunted nearly everything with a handgun and would like to take on the challenge of hunting coyotes. I'm staying away from revolvers, due to how much louder they are vs. a semi-auto action. I'm leaning towards a 1911 style 10mm or a Beretta style 9mm...with a holographic sight. This weapon choice is lighter than my shotgun and has the same effective range. I'm getting away from carrying in a rifle for long range shots AND a shotgun for close range shots.

What's your choice of caliber and type of action in a handgun, for coyote hunting?

Thank you, Bowhunter57

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
I don't know that there's anyone here who's ever purposely yote hunted with a pistol. Why are you straying away from a revolver because of how loud they are?

Gordo

Athens County
Aren't there break action style single shot, high power pistols. Scope and all?

Shit, just saw the 'close range' part....

Any handgun should do the trick if it's close range combat.

Last edited:

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Same range and same "effective" range are two different things. I don't see how any pistol could be as effective as a shotgun on coyotes, especially running coyotes. But, that being said, kudos to you for wanting to try something different. I think the 10mm has a lot of fans, but I've never shot one. Good luck.

And let us know when it's for sale. [emoji41]

Reactions: Gern186

GoetsTalon

Supporting Member
Walbridge oh
1911 is my all time favorite firearm but if I was going 10mm I would be all over the Glock 40 MOS! Plus it has a six inch barrel so could get used for deer also.

Reactions: Bowhunter57

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
IMG_0639.JPG

My go too....

Why are you straying away from a revolver because of how loud they are?

Yep. I owned a Ruger Super Redhawk in 44 Mag with a 9 1/2" barrel and it was super accurate....but it was super loud too. I love the accuracy that I've had with all of the revolvers that I've owned, but the breech blast between the cylinder and barrel, will tear your ears off. I've shot several semi-autos without hearing protection, while hunting and not experienced the same harsh "blast".

I've had a couple of called coyotes bounce within 10 feet from me, trying to circle the e-caller and motion decoy, that was sitting 40+ yards in front of my position. If I'd had a pistol laying close by, I could've dumped them quickly.

A Beretta or Taurus in a model 92, in 9mm would work well. Easy to control, accurate and a 147 gr. JHP would get the job done. However, a Rock Island Armory in 10mm or a Glock 40 in 10mm would also have plenty of punch and would fold up a coyote nicely.

Bowhunter57

Last edited:

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
Yep. I owned a Ruger Super Redhawk in 44 Mag with a 9 1/2" barrel and it was super accurate....but it was super loud too. I love the accuracy that I've had with all of the revolvers that I've owned, but the breech blast between the cylinder and barrel, will tear your ears off. I've shot several semi-autos without hearing protection, while hunting and not experienced the same harsh "blast".

I've had a couple of called coyotes bounce within 10 feet from me, trying to circle the e-caller and motion decoy, that was sitting 40+ yards in front of my position. If I'd had a pistol laying close by, I could've dumped them quickly.

A Beretta or Taurus in a model 92, in 9mm would work well. Easy to control, accurate and a 147 gr. JHP would get the job done. However, a Rock Island Armory in 10mm or a Glock 41 in 10mm would also have plenty of punch and would fold up a coyote nicely.

Bowhunter57
Can't remember the guys name, but he hunts a lot of big game with a 10mm. Probably work pretty good on a yote😁

Thunderflight

Dignitary Member
Shermans Dale, PA
I never thought about using a pistol for close range situations. I'll have to give that a try for sure. I'll be using my Glock G20 Gen 4 10mm. It's a great gun; light, recoil isn't bad, and very accurate.

Reactions: Bowhunter57