Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Whiskey

5Cent

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
North Central Ohio

Cracked it Friday evening. Its an acquired taste, and I need to continue to work to acquire lol. My first sip took me back immediately to OU and double fisting rum and cokes when the Bacardi girls were at the Pig Skin....not a pleasant flashback lmao. I stayed with it and was the only alcohol I drank Friday.

Tried it neat, tried it with a couple drops of water, tried it with whiskey cubes, tried it over the rocks.

I couldn't believe the taste change between neat and a couple drops of water. That little bit of water really took the taste over the top, so much so that I added more for a quick shot to get to the next one lol.

It'll be nice to have on hand for an alternate, but its got a long way to go to replace beer. I leaned into one last night with the beer after working outside. I was in it to win it and the rig was rolling after 8. I dont see how whiskey can replace that thirst quenching satisfaction a cold beer on a warm/hot day of sweat n work. And if it finally does, I am not sure I have the discipline to not let it get out of control.

All that said, the finish on the Woodford is nice, but come on, i bet anything in this thread finishes better than Jack or Bacardi lol.

Isaacorps

Columbus
Cracked it Friday evening. Its an acquired taste, and I need to continue to work to acquire lol. My first sip took me back immediately to OU and double fisting rum and cokes when the Bacardi girls were at the Pig Skin....not a pleasant flashback lmao. I stayed with it and was the only alcohol I drank Friday.

Tried it neat, tried it with a couple drops of water, tried it with whiskey cubes, tried it over the rocks.

I couldn't believe the taste change between neat and a couple drops of water. That little bit of water really took the taste over the top, so much so that I added more for a quick shot to get to the next one lol.

It'll be nice to have on hand for an alternate, but its got a long way to go to replace beer. I leaned into one last night with the beer after working outside. I was in it to win it and the rig was rolling after 8. I dont see how whiskey can replace that thirst quenching satisfaction a cold beer on a warm/hot day of sweat n work. And if it finally does, I am not sure I have the discipline to not let it get out of control.

All that said, the finish on the Woodford is nice, but come on, i bet anything in this thread finishes better than Jack or Bacardi lol.
Oh yeah, certainly doesn’t have the “pound-ability” of beer lol. Nothing like a cold beer on a hot day. Or a cold day. Or a cloudy, well, you get the point. Whiskey is more akin to wine for me. A nice sipper. It’s crazy how much the taste changes with the addition of water, ice, etc. I enjoy it neat but my favorite way to drink it is over an ice ball. Each sip is distinctly different form start to finish as the ice melts. And Jack and Bacardi are more suited to stripping industrial floor wax 😝

Sgt Fury

Sgt. Spellchecker
Oh yeah, certainly doesn’t have the “pound-ability” of beer lol. Nothing like a cold beer on a hot day. Or a cold day. Or a cloudy, well, you get the point. Whiskey is more akin to wine for me. A nice sipper. It’s crazy how much the taste changes with the addition of water, ice, etc. I enjoy it neat but my favorite way to drink it is over an ice ball. Each sip is distinctly different form start to finish as the ice melts. And Jack and Bacardi are more suited to stripping industrial floor wax 😝
You guys ever try Gentlemen Jack? It’s not bad.👍

Reactions: 5Cent

Isaacorps

Columbus
I have a strong hankering for some ice cold IPAs today lol.
1616372661957.gif

Reactions: 5Cent

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio

I definitely drink more bourbon in the fall and winter than I do in the summer. There’s just something about ice cold beer that is darn right refreshing on a hot day. Bourbon hits better in the colder weather and shorter days for me.

Give it some time... The more bourbon you drink the more you’ll start to appreciate it.

And don’t ever mention Jack or Bacardi in this thread again. 😅

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Our ice maker showed up today. Bourbon travels well when camping, so I usually do a whiskey one night, beer the other. We go through a lot of ice and while the whiskey stones are nice, they're best for neat beverages, not mixes.
For my taste, I prefer one big chunk of ice over multiple small ones. I use a yeti lowball tumbler as well. Bourbon gets cold, but not too watered down, and the ice lasts longer. I take one of my son’s plastic 6-ounce kid cups and fill it with water, then throw it in the freezer. Boom, one big chunk of ice. Last night’s chunk sat in my tumbler all night, and this morning was still the size of a golf ball. It’s remarkable.