Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Who's shooting? Tuning? Tinkering?

OhioWhiteTails

Supporting Member
Flatlands
Hunter and I took Kayla to a local 3D course. This is her first compound so we have a lot to work on. Overall she shot great, but more importantly, she had a blast.
20210710_115209.jpg
20210710_102517.jpg
20210710_102509.jpg
20210710_102410.jpg
20210710_101001.jpg

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Hanging out in the garage. A dozen arrows with 0.6 grains of variance across 12 arrows. 6 of them are his standard arrow at 435 grains and 8% FOC. The other are a 4-fletch on TOO wraps at 498 grains and 10.5% FOC. He was skeptical about diverting from the norm, but I'm certain the heavier ones will out perform the others. We'll see if I'm right in short order!

20210715_191448.jpg

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
804E92DA-CE02-472D-8EF8-0D9FB42BD9E8.jpeg

I’ve been screwing around a little. I’ve been shooting 500’s with 125 grain heads. They weigh about 430 grain total. Today I shot a few 400’s w 175 grain heads, weighing 485. This is the first grouping of the two using the same point of aim at 30 yards out of my Black Widow. Not a great deal of difference in the trajectory at that distance but at 40 it is very noticeable. Both shoot well so I haven’t made any determination as to what I’ll be hunting with this fall. If I were hunting elk I’d certainly go with the heavier shaft and head.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
View attachment 131140
I’ve been screwing around a little. I’ve been shooting 500’s with 125 grain heads. They weigh about 430 grain total. Today I shot a few 400’s w 175 grain heads, weighing 485. This is the first grouping of the two using the same point of aim at 30 yards out of my Black Widow. Not a great deal of difference in the trajectory at that distance but at 40 it is very noticeable. Both shoot well so I haven’t made any determination as to what I’ll be hunting with this fall. If I were hunting elk I’d certainly go with the heavier shaft and head.
What’s your draw weight with that bow? Have you noticed any significant difference in noise at the shot? I think Black Widow recommends at least 9-11 grains per pound, so I’m curious if you’ve noticed any negative effect shooting the lighter arrows. Two great groups regardless!

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
It’s listed as 45@27”. My guess is I’m drawing 48#ish. I have not seen any downside from shooting the lighter arrows. The bow is not noticeably quieter with the heavier arrow. The if I’m shooting 48#, the 500s would be right at 9gr/lb

Reactions: jagermeister

MoonLab

Where we’re going, we don’t need roads.
Supporting Member
Tooville
I’m going to be looking around for new arrows soon. I’ve bought a dozen of Beman ICS hunter Pro awhile ago and Loved it…. I have very few left. I’m debating if I want to buy another dozen of em or find something else. What you guys have?

Tipmoose

Supporting Member
Grove City
I’m going to be looking around for new arrows soon. I’ve bought a dozen of Beman ICS hunter Pro awhile ago and Loved it…. I have very few left. I’m debating if I want to buy another dozen of em or find something else. What you guys have?

Those are what I shoot.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Easton Axis until I die. 🤘

I'll have some different arrows with me this weekend for guys to try out. You're welcome to shoot my Axis' and see what you think. After killing well more than a dozen deer with them, including 5 mature bucks, I can speak comfortably to their durability and performance. Is there a "better" arrow out there? Maybe. But it'll take some serious convincing with undeniable data to prove to me that there's one that's exponentially better. Especially when it comes to tolerances on the technical specs (GPI/weight/straightness) of the arrow shaft and components. Easton's scale and industry experience is first-class and their products carry that forward. Literally.

Tipmoose

Supporting Member
Grove City
Easton Axis until I die. 🤘

I'll have some different arrows with me this weekend for guys to try out. You're welcome to shoot my Axis' and see what you think. After killing well more than a dozen deer with them, including 5 mature bucks, I can speak comfortably to their durability and performance. Is there a "better" arrow out there? Maybe. But it'll take some serious convincing with undeniable data to prove to me that there's one that's exponentially better. Especially when it comes to tolerances on the technical specs (GPI/weight/straightness) of the arrow shaft and components. Easton's scale and industry experience is first-class and their products carry that forward. Literally.

Didn't Easton buy Beman several years ago? I think they're all the same company now.

Isaacorps

Columbus
Although I haven’t had a chance to try these on a live target, they’ve been really durable and I’m overall pleased with them while practicing. I’ve shot them hundreds of times into the block target. I picked them up after watching a YouTube review/comparison video by Samuel White. Granted I’m a complete newcomer to this world but they seem to be a great value for the money. They carry the store brand name but are made by Victory. I can say that I much prefer them to the Black Eagles I started out with.