Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

2019 Turkey Season

Carpn

*Supporting Member*
Wooster
Came close this morning . Actually should of killed one . Just tough with a kid m I had him between my legs and watched the turkey come for a ways . I had him lined up but he kept pulling his head off the gun , and taking his hand down as I was steadying the shooting sticks . I kept telling him to stay ready until I could tell what it was but he was all off the gun when it got to 30 yards and I could see it was a Jake . By then he as was completely off the gun . After a minute it turned and walked back dowhill to rejoin the flock.

Moved to another spot , saw a longbeard and hen crossing a field. Got to where they like going . Called , gobble , called back immediately . Gobbling . Sat for a half hr and never heard nothing again.

Got home at 11 .

We're back out now hoping to intercept the birds from this morning going to roost .

Kai had fun exploring a waterfall this morning .

IMG_20190505_094919301.jpg

lung buster

hocking county
Neither kid wanted to get up this am, which i get...lol. i went to where drew and i heard the one yesterday. Not a single gobble heard until 8:00 when my old buddy let loose on the next ridge. Same bird that got me twice this week. Long story short he got me again when i flipping missed him after working him for a half hr or so. Ive had a bad habbit of using drews little 1187 20 ga when he doesn't go. I should of got out my 12 ga this am i guess as he may of been a little far...may or may not go tomorrow. Been bummed all day. Will have my 1187 if i do, lol.

Sgt Fury

Sgt. Spellchecker
Heard zero gobbles on the roost. About an hour after shooting light I had gobbles a couple hundred yards to the east on land I don’t have permission to hunt. Steep ravine between and I couldn’t get them to come my way. Did have a doe and a young buck (3” antlers starting to split) come by at 15 yards and never seen me...guess the camo passed the test. Then had gobbles from my neighbors field to my west. Walked to a hilltop and could see a gobbler in full strut and a hen preening herself. Watched them go over a hill and tried to intercept but they were moving fast and when I got there, they were already passed. A hen lagging behind spotted me and took to the air, taking the others with her. Back to the hotel to pick up my hunting partner “sleeping beauty” and going back out.

lung buster

hocking county
Another fun morning but no bird rode home with me. He was roosted in a different spot this am and i actually walked by him in the dark when i went to set up where he was yesterday. Not as much gobbling today as yesterday but i did hear a couple of others. He was still gobbling when i left but i had to take drew to school. I think ill take one of the kids tomorrow, they know how to make stuff dead and im thinking i have forgot how to....

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Third morning in a row I heard nothing. Just came back in the house because I thought I had to work this morning. As it turns out, I don’t. Think I’ll take a nap. May start getting the boat ready for the year when I wake up.

Reactions: teenbowhunter

Sgt Fury

Sgt. Spellchecker
Me and my buddy split up to cover more ground.....then I hear my first close gobble...I run down the hillside to my pond, then travel up a grassy median to my neighbors fence. I setup on my side of the fence up on the hill looking down on the field. I am breathing heavy because I am fat, I’m a flat lander, and I just covered 400 yards of steep terrain. I call...he gobbles. 200 yards...150....100...80....BOOM! My “buddy” heard the bird and came down the hill from the other side. He was directly between me and the bird. I called him, no answer. I figured one single shot is a very good sign and he must be on his way back up the hill to the fence line. I call once more just to make sure the gobbler is done. No response. I sit a couple more minutes then get up and go back up the hill to the truck. I see my friend walking up the field with no bird. I ask him what happened and he said he almost killed himself...when he put the barrel on his gun this morning, he didn’t turn the knob hardly at all..when he shot, the end piece came off of his gun along with the spring. At least that is his story!😂 I guess we’ll try again tomorrow.

triple_duece

Ragin Cajun.
Usually w my limited experience, if I can get one to gobble at my call after 9am, good chance he will get a ride back to the house. Gobbling on the roost is a crap shoot and most times if you kill one it’s a two year old and not the boss. The boss has plenty hens to pitch down to and not coming to one hen when he has plenty under him. Now he will return around 10 or so after his hens leave him and he comes back looking for that sweet poohnanny that didn’t come to him earlier.

Boss gobblers usually don’t gobble much as the get harassed by jakes and draw unwanted attention like coyotes. He will however come in silent or gobble a couple times as he’s perched on that high vantage point looking for leftover ladies.

I can’t believe most of y’all give up shortly after fly down. Most of the birds I have killed have been after 9 till after lunch.

Well my son is having a rough go of it this year. Call another longbeard in perfectly this morning before school and work and it was another swing and miss. This one was pretty much a textbook hunt as we were setup about 100 yards or so from him on the roost. He flew down and came straight to us. Didn't run but he was at a quick walk. Gobbled like crazy which I don't think helped the boys nerves. LOL. Going to try again in the morning if it isn't raining.

Been a good year so far for us. I think only one morning that I have not heard a gobbler and that was this past Sunday in Ohio. Of course it rained all morning so that didn't help.