Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Anyone have advice on how to set yourself up for a first year alone hunter?

Ohiohunter95

Rest In Peace Zach
Finally hit the age of 16, and I'd like to set up my own stand, spots, and independently put some meat in the freezer. But, was wondering what tips people could give on how to do things right so I don't end up messing it by spooking a biggin' out of the area while setting up or down right blowing it when opportune comes.

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
Start by scouting the area your going to hunt, make your best guestament and get the stands hung as soon as possible then stay out. You may have to move them later on after you spend some time in the tree. (if so, no big deal. just move em.) While your waiting the_______ days, (RedCloud-insert days left here) read everything you can on this forum and practice, practice PRACTICE. KNOW YOUR LIMITS! There are years and years of hunting knowledge here if you just read.
I would not try to go for the ball dragger but some times beginners luck smiles upon new hunters.

Best of luck this season!

Buckslayer

*Supporting Member*
Jackson County
I would start out trying to bag a couple doe....set up on trails or near oaks that are raining acorns. I have been bowhunting for about 6 years and I am still learning everyday. Pre season scouting can really pay off. Good Luck and like Diablo says, reading books and magazine articles really can help.

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
Start by scouting the area your going to hunt, make your best guestament and get the stands hung as soon as possible then stay out. You may have to move them later on after you spend some time in the tree. (if so, no big deal. just move em.) While your waiting the__50_____ days, (RedCloud-insert days left here) read everything you can on this forum and practice, practice PRACTICE. KNOW YOUR LIMITS! There are years and years of hunting knowledge here if you just read.
I would not try to go for the ball dragger but some times beginners luck smiles upon new hunters.

Best of luck this season!

There ya go lol.

Hoytmania

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Gods Country
First off I would like to say hello and Welcome as I have not seen any of your other post. Some back ground would be great.

1. How many years have you hunted so far?
2. Have you harvested any deer yet?
3. How many stands do you have to work with?
4. What kind of scent control do you use?

These are the first questions that come to mind. We can all throw out general advice as there has already been some great advice given. But the more specific you can become the better the advice the group can offer, if that makes sense. Either way best of luck TOO you on your first solo season.

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
The best thing I did when starting was to start the season in an observation stand. This type of stand is a good deal away from the action but where you can still see for a good distance. Keep a journal of what time, what deer, what direction they came from, what direction was the wind, etc... Write down as much detail as you can and then sit down and formulate a plan. I still do this today on any new spots.

My best advice,

Beentown

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio
First and most important is you need to get out and practice with your archery equipment. You owe it to the animal to make the cleanest, most ethical kill you possibly can when presented with an opportunity. You can't just sight a bow in and forget about it. There are so many variables that into play when shooting a bow, that you need to practice and get that muscle memory going. That way, when a deer presents you with a shot, your body takes over and helps you remember what you need to do to make that perfect shot.

Second factor is scent control and paying attention to the wind. These two will help you out tremendously when trying to get close to a deer. Wash your clothes in scent free detergent and take a shower with scent free soap. Keep your clothes in a sealed container or plastic bag to keep them scent free. When hunting or preparing for a hunt, pay attention to wind direction and hunt from a stand where you expect deer to come in unwind from you.

Third, observe. If you can get out early before the season and scout, you can find the places where the deer travel. If you have a place where you can observe from a distance without disturbing your hunting area, this can be very effective in patterning deer.

Really, Bowhunting is all trail and error. But you can shift the odds in your favor by following the guidelines above.

Ohiohunter95

Rest In Peace Zach
Fluteman, I have to take that bow advice double to heart because i shoot recurve, so it's a matter oh honing instincts too for me lol and thanks for the stand observation advice Beentown. We have two stands out in the woods between me and Badger as it is at the moment so I'll have to get out in them soon as possible.
@hoytmania, nice meeting you too, name's Zach and I'm badger's kid. i can answer those questions: 1. I've been hunting three years now with badger but it's my first year to legal hunt on my own. 2: I've shot two deer so far, both does under 150lbs., but both were gun kills with my mossberg. 3:Like I said earlier two stands to work with and a blind as well, although the blind has a pole that needs replaced and it's not exactly usable right now lol lastly we use some sort of off-brand stuff that doesn't really have a specific name.
We do have a bunch of pin and white oak throughout our woods so I'll stick to watching those for sign.
question though Diablo, do you know any good sites where I could order a quality book from?
Thanks for all the input guys, I'm keeping good mental note of all this and I'll make sure to get a picture up of a nice smiling deer if this can pay off!

dante322

*Supporting Member*
Crawford county
although the blind has a pole that needs replaced and it's not exactly usable right now

coleman makes a tentpole replacement kit. just fixed mine a couple weeks ago. camping section at walmart, about $7.00.

do you know any good sites where I could order a quality book from?

not sure about a site, but "Strategies for Whitetails" by Charels J. Alsheimer. Would be the first book I would recommend to anyone, Very good read. Not just hunting tips, but it full of insites into why deer do what they do, and when to expect them to do it.

Good luck.

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
The first year alone is going to be a huge learning curve for you. I know it was for myself. I spent a few years tagging along with my father and an uncle that deer hunted and I learned some things along the way that came in very handy. I wish I would have paid more attention while hunting with them because that first year was a huge eye opener to say the least lol. It was a lot of trial and error in my hunting that's for sure. Here is the best I can do for ya.

Even though your able to hunt alone don't be afraid to tag along with your dad and ask lots of questions or even take a question back home to him or anybody on this forum. Your dad is a very knowledgeable guy and will be more then happy to explain things to you and if he is busy with work just jump on here and ask away. The more you hunt alone things you forgot about will be seen and refresh your memory as well as things you didn't realize you even knew.

Get out to the woods and spend as much time as you can looking and observing and learning along the way. Most importantly have FUN and savor every minute you can in the outdoors.

Hoytmania

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Gods Country
H95, knowing that you are badgers son is a good thing I am sure he has been teaching you right. Utilize as many of the stands as you can. One of the first mistakes I made when I first started hunting was that I over hunted the same area. I would go weeks without even spotting a deer. Switch it around so that they can't pattern you. If you hunt a certain stand on a saturday morning and another in the evening. next weekend switch them around, hunt the one you hunted in the evening the prior week in the morning, and the one you hunted in the morning the week before in the evening. Being limited TOO only 3 spots you will be fighting the wind also.

Congrats on the 2 doe harvest. At least you have some under your belt. Best of luck this season, you already have a load of respect from me for going out there trad style.

There is always 3 rivers archery to look for education. I know they have a butt load of books that deal with hunting traditional.
http://www.3riversarchery.com/Books+DVD's_c42_s0_p0_cat.html

Ohiohunter95

Rest In Peace Zach
coleman makes a tentpole replacement kit. just fixed mine a couple weeks ago. camping section at walmart, about $7.00.
We have a place to get a pole from, it's just a matter of getting up and actually doing it lol Also soon as i have 15$ that book will b on my order list. and thanks for the dvd suggestions! You guys just reminded me we have a bunch of ol' hunting vhs tapes, I'll have to break them out and fix up the vcr.

@redcloud, I have a few years of watching him hunt too, so I'm hoping that'll come in handy.. and I'll make sure to pop any questions I have hear to you guys or him, I know either way I'll get a good response

and thanks hoyt! we use 3rivers for our bow upkeep needs so that'll be nifty to just go straight to them if I find something. btw, is there a section or thread soomewhere of stories from hunts and days out in the woods?

Diablo54

Outside
Give me your adress and ill be sure to send you three of the best recurve/bowhunting books one could lay hands on. That is if your willing to send them back sometime. haha.

Gern186

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NW Ohio Tundra
If you use trail cameras, don't check them every other day.....give it a couple weeks between checks during the off season and once a week during the season.