Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Baseball Journal

Schu72

Streetsboro
My boys had a stellar night at the ballfield. They did not make an out the entire game. Ethan had 1 walk 2 doubles and a triple. Micah had a walk, 2 doubles and a single. The team had one bad inning in the field and then put the screws to them. It was 6-6 after 3 and ended up 18-7. They are now 10-2 with 2 games to go in the regular season.

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio
Scored some tickets for the Reds/Indians game June 20th. My boy loves the Reds and is pretty excited to see them play in Cleveland.

That should be fun Aaron! I've played ball all my life, but have never been to a pro game. Maybe some day I will!

Two buddies here at work went to Cincinnati to watch Wednesday and Thursday's games. Pete Rose was staying at the same hotel as they were and they had a chance to meet him in the hotel restaurant Wednesday. They said he was a real friendly fella!

RRJJ

Removed by Request.
We beat Washington 1 14-3 I think it was. Your sons have a very good team. They were the only team to beat us and it looks like we will maybe meet again Sat in the championship. Were you the ump the night that we played?

That was a great game that night! One of the best that I had the privilege to ump this season. Amanda 1 plays Pickaway 2 tonight - these two teams have not played each other this year, so we'll see what happens tonight. I'm not sure what to expect. Last night was a great evening of ball at the park. The game between the Orioles and Amanda 2 was outstanding. I'm just happy to be able to see the number of games I've seen this year, and I'm looking forward to helping out in Kingston on Saturday.

aholdren

Supporting Member
South East Ohio
Thanks for asking dick... :smiley_crocodile:

Hey Jackwagon I'd invite you but I got invited myself. PS, Im sorry if your feeling left out right now, so just close your eyes and wrap your arms around yourself and give a little squeeze and just tell yourself this is a hug from aholdren everything is going to be fine!!!! rotflmao

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
We beat Washington 1 14-3 I think it was. Your sons have a very good team. They were the only team to beat us and it looks like we will maybe meet again Sat in the championship. Were you the ump the night that we played?

That would have never happened when I was a little-leaguer at Washington!

:)

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I miss the smell of hotdogs, horsecrap, distant cigarette smoke, and knocking kids in the dirt at home plate.... Good times at Wasington!

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
We used to beat Laurelville so badly they would shut down the dairy shed when we rolled into town.

Josh Kellner played for Laurelville. I remember as a kid when Josh was at the plate, he would jump up and down and scream trying to intimidate the pitcher. We thought he was a mental case. Once we became friends in HS, I found out he really is! :)

lung buster

hocking county
My sons team lost in the semi-finals yesterday to Amanda 4. I think it was 15-13. They probably played the worst game of the season and they would have had to be hitting on all cylinders to beat that team. Congrats to Amanda 1 (JJ's) team for beating Amanda 4 and winning the SEOYL championship!
I did get to meet JJ after the game. Very nice guy and a great ump too!

They play again on Weds in the Kingston only tourny. A win would put them in the championship game Sat but who knows. They peaked about 3 games ago and it's been kinda down hill since I think.

Last edited:

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Klay's team finished the regulate season as the number one seed in the OVYBL. He had 2 hits yesterday and pitched pretty well. He did give up a gopher ball though. Lol! It was a bomb.

He then played up on Kody's team in the afternoon. He grounded out 3 times but at least he put it in play.

Kody on the other hand sucked ass yesterday. He struck out 3 times. Good lord...
He did a good job catching if that's any consolation.

Klay also was picked for the all star team in his division. He's fired up.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
We played one hell of a game this weekend and it was timely to say the least! The league has had 5 teams in it every year I have played. Well this year, we dissolved one of the old teams and added two new teams. Both the new teams are pretty decent and one, the team from Ravenswood, put together a team that can win it all. Going in to the weekend, they were in first place with a 4-0 record and had won all 4 games by 10 running their opponent. For me, this was a game where the defending champs needed to send a message and boy did we ever!!!

We managed to sneak in a run in the top half of the first thanks to a throwing error, then I went down on strikes as I looked at a for sure ball 4. When I went out the next inning, I told the ump: "You know you missed ball 4 on me, but I won't give you shit if we get that call today." The ump just laughed and it turned out to be a good thing I know how to work them later in the game!!!

Our pitcher was on his A game Saturday and managed to strike out 8 of his first 9 outs. He did give up a run in the bottom of the 3rd thanks to a fluke triple and a seeing eye single on a great pitch. He continued to pitch well keeping us in a 1-1 game until the top of the 6th. Our lead off hitter that inning is 42 and runs like he has a car tied to him. He swung at strike 3, the catcher misses it, then throws it wild and somehow, Chris beats out all the commotion to get on! The next batter strikes out, so we have 1 down with a runner on first and the top of the order coming up. Our lead off guy walks, then our #2 hittter (the pitcher) goes down swinging on 3 straight pitches. Runners on first and second, two outs and I'm coming to the plate. First pitch is an inside fastball that I nearly tore the cover off, foul ball. I knew he was going to throw me a breaker and he did, but he hung it and I hit it to left center for a double. We are up 2-1!

We shut them down in the bottom of 6, then stole an unearned run from them in the 7th after a double from my SS, then an over throw as he stole 3rd on a passed ball. That run came in huge in the bottom of 7 as the lead off hitter tripled, then a sac fly brought him in to score. However, my pitcher buckled down to get strike outs 11 and 12 to seal the deal! The final pitch was his 6th backwards K and it was on the same pitch I got rung up on in the first inning. All told, of the 6 backwards K's, 4 were on pitches low and away. I hate to strike out looking, but if it means my pitcher gets that same call all day, then I'll take it!!!

Season Stats

PA: 14
AB: 9
H: 5
2B: 2
HR: 1
RBI: 5
Runs Scored: 5

K: 3
BB: 4
HBP: 1

BA: .555
OBP: .714
Slugging: 1.11

Runners attempting to steal: 2
Runners thrown out stealing: 1

Team Record: 3-1

Runs Scored: 24
Runs Scored Against:16

matt hougan

Dayton area
This past weekend my son had a tournament in Columbus. They sucked. My daughter on the other hand had a softball tournament in Greenville. They ended up taking third place. I think we could have done better but it was a lomg weekend. Saturday night they had a great game. Down a couple of runs they battled back in the last inning to pull ahead by three runs. It was great to see them play with such intense emotion. It was easliy the most exciting sporting event I have ever watched. Very proud of them.

lung buster

hocking county
My sons team won their tourney game last night. They play in the championship game tonight. That game was moved from Sat am to tonight and it's going to be smoking hot! I'm not sure if they have enough left in the tank to get it done but I sure hope so. After tonight it's over and I'm glad. They have been at it for 6 months and I'm just as burnt out as most of the kids at this point,lol.

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
The story of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde that emulates Kody's season continued yesterday. His first at bat he got caught looking. I pulled him off to the side and gave him great advice... "swing the fucking bat!" (please, hold my father of the year nominations).
The next at bat he drove a double down the RF line and the third at bat he tripled over the CF's head. It's amazing what you can do when you're pissed off at dad. His last at bat he walked. They must've been afraid of him. LMAO!