Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Boarhead's Coyote Snaring 2014

Boarhead

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
That road where your tire tracks are just screams dirt hole set.hahahaha
Yes it does Zach.Good luck digging out a trap bed.Hard as concrete right now.Me and my buddy used to do a lot of trapping but now it is nice snaring these yotes as you don't have to worry about the weather too much.Freezing rain is not good but they thaw out fast when the sun pops out.

yotehunter

spencerville oh
Keep at it. I know a guy that drives his 4 wheeler in the snow from woods to woods and sets them right off the back of it in the tracks and does really we'll on them. They will take the easiest path. Especially in this deep of snow. Glad too see the dead ones.

Boarhead

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
No I don't worry about my tracks I actually walk and make my trails in the snow and have yotes follow right in them.Havn't had an problems not catching them yet.In the thicker areas I like to make paths in the snow that's how I caught that one yesterday I followed his tracks in the path I made right up to him.

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
No I don't worry about my tracks I actually walk and make my trails in the snow and have yotes follow right in them.Havn't had an problems not catching them yet.In the thicker areas I like to make paths in the snow that's how I caught that one yesterday I followed his tracks in the path I made right up to him.

I've been making trails to my snares in the snow also.

Makes complete sense when it comes to snaring them to make paths like that. When I was setting traps before I was probably overly concerned and had a couple of pine boughs I would bring along to help brush snow over my tracks to make them less visible. Often wondered if that had anything to do with not catching any yotes when I was trying.

Boarhead

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
securedownload[2] (28).jpgsecuredownload[1] (53).jpgHad one get out today he stripped the split ring that connected my stake to the snare had to be a big yote.I set a couple back in this area and this time I put two split rings on the snare and stake that should help, Guess from now on I will double them up when setting more.This was in the area where Don and I set some when he was up. That would have made # 17 if not for this and a few chewouts.Stuck on #13 hope that is not an unlucky number.LOL

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Dang! He must have gained some leverage just through shear luck. I hope you get that one!

My 4 wheeler is done and waiting to be picked up. My truck will be finished tomorrow. I'll be setting snares soon, hoping to do as well as you've done so far this season! Now that I'm ready to get busy, I'm sure the snow will melt off and we will be done with it for the year. All of you that have been hoping for an early spring can thank me. :)

Boarhead

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Yea guys from the look of his tracks in the snow he was a big one . Hey Brock I hope you catch a bunch of them and I feel like I have really helped my deer herd on our farms by taking out the ones I have so far. Going to keep after it for awhile longer and hope to catch a few more. And Rick you are right I hope I fugged up his whole week LOL, Hope he gets hung up somewhere. Amazing how tough these bastards really are breaking split rings and chewing through that snare cable they sure have a will to survive.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I have NO doubt you're helping your deer! I've noticed a huge difference in our's the last couple of years and I attribute that solely to timely coyote killing. I'll get after em from now through March.

Boarhead

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
securedownload[1] (54).jpgsecuredownload[2] (29).jpgNo yotes today but did see several tracks and also saw the tracks of the one that got loose yesterday as you could see the snare mark in the snow following along beside him. LOL I think we will call him necktie and he came close to getting in another snare today.Followed his tracks a ways and you could see where he was digging for mice by the CRP field.Hope to see him soon.

yotehunter

spencerville oh
View attachment 19645View attachment 19646No yotes today but did see several tracks and also saw the tracks of the one that got loose yesterday as you could see the snare mark in the snow following along beside him. LOL I think we will call him necktie and he came close to getting in another snare today.Followed his tracks a ways and you could see where he was digging for mice by the CRP field.Hope to see him soon.
you will get him hard to believe he hasn't snagged the snare yet. Hope you get him.

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
View attachment 19645View attachment 19646No yotes today but did see several tracks and also saw the tracks of the one that got loose yesterday as you could see the snare mark in the snow following along beside him. LOL I think we will call him necktie and he came close to getting in another snare today.Followed his tracks a ways and you could see where he was digging for mice by the CRP field.Hope to see him soon.

That would be Awesome Brian! I hope you get him! Nothing like sweet revenge!