Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Brock/Mason 2020

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Saw a couple deer as soon as I climbed in tonight. Wound up seeing 8. Three young bucks. They put on a good show.

Mason was hunting the next farm over. He saw three. Two small bucks. One of them got shot by a nonresident who was hunting from a ground blind that does not belong to him. Mason apparently got part of it on video. The guy bumped the deer when he went to track it down. Hope they get it.

I’m probably heading back to Fayette in the morning. Gonna be a slob show up there eventually.
65A8FEDD-D3FC-4417-A500-C62D9EB168E7.png

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I went to Fayette this morning. Saw six, nothing big. Mason hunted closer to the house where he saw a shooter yesterday. Today he saw just two fawns.
This afternoon we did a little bank fishing at Paint Creek. About an hour yielded enough fat crappies for a fry. It was a beautiful afternoon on the lakeshore.
DA9B4A4C-14B5-4FEF-9148-356DE17E19CA.jpeg

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
After enjoying a beautiful spring morning in the woods, complete with gobbling turkeys and zero deer seen, I had a hard decision to make. Should I be productive around the house? Should I take care of things like an adult? Should I go try to kill a heat-exhausted rut-crazed whitetail? What’s a man to do ... so I did this, like any logical redneck would. Could have easily packed home a limit. The ones I kept were big and I did not keep an accurate count as I tossed them in the bucket, so I came home with 20-something. I’m certain I landed well over 100 fish this afternoon. This is my kind of rut... I’ll never complain about 75-80 degrees this time of year!
3D54ADC3-3EEE-4EEF-BAF4-E4CB25430A85.jpeg

Geezer II

Bountiful Hunting Grounds Beyond.
portage county oh
After enjoying a beautiful spring morning in the woods, complete with gobbling turkeys and zero deer seen, I had a hard decision to make. Should I be productive around the house? Should I take care of things like an adult? Should I go try to kill a heat-exhausted rut-crazed whitetail? What’s a man to do ... so I did this, like any logical redneck would. Could have easily packed home a limit. The ones I kept were big and I did not keep an accurate count as I tossed them in the bucket, so I came home with 20-something. I’m certain I landed well over 100 fish this afternoon. This is my kind of rut... I’ll never complain about 75-80 degrees this time of year!View attachment 113467

Sounds fishey ta me

Reactions: brock ratcliff

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
A tough choice was made again today. In fact I invited Haleybrock to leave the over heated woods to join me at the lake today. Mason joined us for the last hour or so and we put on a clinic. Absolutely hammered the crappies along with one bonus saugeye. We did a poor job of counting again. Kept nothing under ten inches. After our bucket began to overflow we threw back some giant slabs too... lots and lots of them. Every cast type of a thing. A great way to suffer through a hot rut. Enjoyed the visit with Steve and Mason enjoyed shooting Steve’s new Hoyt. A good evening.
DEF2D77B-0AE3-46D5-974D-A390ABFD5077.jpeg
D5EB9B9F-FB79-44A1-8E19-9A13D159B5BC.jpeg
6989BBBC-0E85-40A2-910D-757905F19E13.jpeg

TinyTucky

The Flatlands
A tough choice was made again today. In fact I invited Haleybrock to leave the over heated woods to join me at the lake today. Mason joined us for the last hour or so and we put on a clinic. Absolutely hammered the crappies along with one bonus saugeye. We did a poor job of counting again. Kept nothing under ten inches. After our bucket began to overflow we threw back some giant slabs too... lots and lots of them. Every cast type of a thing. A great way to suffer through a hot rut. Enjoyed the visit with Steve and Mason enjoyed shooting Steve’s new Hoyt. A good evening. View attachment 113549View attachment 113550View attachment 113551
How’d I do setting up Steve’s new bow, Brock? He was pretty jacked after it was all said and done. Crappie look tasty too 😋

Reactions: brock ratcliff

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
How’d I do setting up Steve’s new bow, Brock? He was pretty jacked after it was all said and done. Crappie look tasty too 😋

He busted that thing out after we finished cleaning fish. Well past dark. Steve is pretty proud of that bow and wanted to see someone else shoot it. Mason was willing, of course. As it turns out it fit Mason well and after a few close range shots, Mason dialed the sight to 70 yards and started sending ‘em. Lol. It’s a very quiet bow. I didn’t shoot it but Mason really liked it and he ahot it pretty well. I would say you must have done a pretty good job putting it together!

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Went to Fayette today. Haven’t been hunting in seemingly months. Pretty slow until the last half hour. Saw 16 total. Four bucks, best rack was about 120” 8 point. Checked a camera on the way out. The giant half rack went by about 530 tonight. He has busted off the goofy stuff on his left side. He’s been on camera several times lately. Got another big goofy buck and several that need a year on the camera this week.
I’ll probably go up for a couple hour hunt in the morning. I’ve got a plan to try sneaking in the back door on em. Really I’m hoping to drive my truck really close, cross a creek and take a seat because this knee is still an issue.
B3CEE0BD-200A-4E3D-A654-EDE5EF99F229.jpeg
47990F89-1D09-4536-AE4F-94912725918F.jpeg
49AA7EF2-D21E-493C-A11F-131FF8CF0590.jpeg
EA236424-E000-4A81-A8DA-789F1C6D07DC.jpeg
2631B17F-A6AD-42B3-8A11-D90A765E3C76.jpeg