Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

chew, snuff, chaw, dip, etc

Jamie

Ohio
There are fates worse than death. oral or throat cancer doesn't always kill you, but it will ALWAYS fuck you up real bad.

no virtue in inviting all the potential health problems that are tied to tobacco use that may not kill you. the less chemicals we ingest, the better off we are. I quit this summer after being a slave to the can for 30 years. I did quit for five years just after I turned 30. like an idiot, I started again about 10 years ago. after the Tony Gwynn story, I decided I just don't need it any longer. took me about a month to wean myself, had my last rub 4 weeks ago. good bye Grizzly long cut straight, see you in Hell.

I figure with all that money I'm saving I can afford that Cooper rifle I've always wanted. :smiley_clap:

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Joe I sorta agree with everything you wrote. But on the other hand I see no reason to speed it up on purpose when it can be avoided.

Lots of things can do that. Eating processed foods with preservatives and chemicals, red meat, sugar, artificial sweeteners. Everything we eat is killing us. It's just more profitable to run anti tobacco than anti farming and anti processed food campaigns.

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
Guys, our life expectancy has increased by approximately 32 years! In 1900 it was 46 and today it's 78.

at1010

*Supporting Member*
This thread has brought up some amazing points. I am not trying to say Dip/chew/etc is not bad for you but I think there are some great points here.

1. Joe I knew you would have a great input
2. Hicks, I have also heard that. On average about 33% of men get mouth cancer, studies have not shown a direct corralation between men who chew or dont chew getting mouth cancer
3. My dentist has even told me that men who use mouth washes more frequently are higher risk because Alcohol can lead mouth cancer as well.

All of this brings up a larger issue and makes one think what really know about our bodies. My grandpa is 92 years old, ww2 vet, coal miner, semi pro baseball player, and is still around. He dips every day and never had 1 problem! My great uncle joe is about the same age, and literally eats meals with dip in his mouth, never had a problem. My uncle joe did have another form of cancer and has lived with if for 20 years. I still dont want to rely on a substance if I dont have too. However, just makes you wonder if these doctors even know whats up/down half the time.

Ricer2231

When I quit a little over a year ago, after rubbing for 33 years, my biggest fear was not that it would kill me but that it would "maim" me to the point that life wouldn't be worth living. I've seen just about all of the videos that are out there to try to help you stop and they even worked for a week or two or maybe a month. Nothing hit home for me though like two examples. One was the pictures that my coworker brought to work and showed me of his dad that had his entire cheek, lower jaw, and part of his upper jaw hacked away in an attempt to stop the cancer. The cancer was stopped for now but he lives on Ensure supplement drinks that are poured into a tube connected to his stomach. He tries to eat but the chemo has made it so he really doesn't taste anything he says it just tastes like cotton. The second case was a maintenance man at my work that went for a routine check up and was diagnosed with stage four throat cancer and was given 3-4 months to live. He died 2 weeks after the doctors told him that. I quit the day they announced his passing at work and haven't picked up a can since. It was one of the hardest things I ever did and I still miss it to this day. Some days I really miss it, I mean really, but not a grain since June of last year. I want to enjoy the remainder of my years on this Rock and if leaving the snuff in the can will help me to do that then in the can it will stay. Anybody can quit and yes it may be the hardest thing you have ever done but you can't doubt for a minute that it's not the right thing to do. You'll be as cranky as a bear with a sore ass but it will be worth it in the long run. To those that have quit, GOOD JOB and don't look back. To those trying to quit or contemplating quitting, YOU CAN DO THIS!!!! Lean on friends and family and just tell them you need their support and sorry for being a crab ass but that will get better and you'll be here long after that goes away. Sorry to get so long winded but this is a very "close to the heart" subject for me and if my rant can help just one person stop using then that's all that matters.

Boarhead

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
My dad will be 80 this year and chewed Red Man and Levi Garrett for 60 of those years and finally gave it up about 5 yrs ago and has never had a problem other than having dentures now. Of course at his age if he really enjoyed it might as well keep at it.LOL

Joel

Centerburg, Ohio
I dip now and have for the last 8 months or so. I was a heavy smoker for 17 years and that was the only way I could find to quit that worked for me. When I smoked, I was buying 2 packs a day and one for my wife or around $4,500 a year. I couldn't walk up a hill without taking a break, everything was coated in nicotine, at the gas station every day buying smokes, truck smelled like an ashtray and on and on. I just got sick of it. I haven't had a cigarette in 8 months now. Wife quit also by using the patch for a few months and has been off all tobacco/nicotine since.

Now, I use about a half can of Skoal every day. A can of Skoal Mint Extra is about 2 bucks. So, I went from a $8.50/day habit (for just myself) to a $1/day habit. At some point I would like to quit the Skoal too but I feel like I'm better off at the moment.

Joe you make some great points also. We are all gonna die eventually from something and that is guaranteed.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Yes. Have off and on since I was 18. Quit for 14 months and started again in March with all the stress from baseball. I drive so much it makes it real tough to not have a vice of some sort.

at1010

*Supporting Member*
Yes. Have off and on since I was 18. Quit for 14 months and started again in March with all the stress from baseball. I drive so much it makes it real tough to not have a vice of some sort.

I am the exact same with dip. When I went through that rough time last year of depression and all, I dipped like a mother. Since I have just been using off and on but fairly steady. I have seen my old man battle that and Jesse I pray you can quit.

Not trying to say 1 is better or worse than another. Just smoking is so visible, smells, etc. I remember hearing how bad it was for you so much when I was a kid, and watching my daddy smoke used to make me sick. I mean as a young child, I still knew it was so bad for him. My sister used to cry about it all the time. Its a hell of an addiction!

I know you can quit it man, I am going to Academy this weekend and buying a bucket of seeds! Gunna keep them in my car and chew those!

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I quit chewing Levi Garret cold turkey the day after Gwynn died. He was a player I looked up to and often referenced now that I coach. That, and out of respect of my mom who has beat cancer twice even though she never drank or smoked.

Yes, some guys always have a dip or chew in and nothing happens. They live to be 90. Some people get cancer even though they never do anything "bad". It's the hand we are dealt I suppose.

I'm not gonna get on a soap box and say everyone should quit. I just don't wanna tempt fate or risk some crazy surgery that'll cause me to lose my tongue, jaw, etc...

I miss it greatly! I'm not sure how I'll handle the tree stand without it. I know cutting grass sucks. I know any outside work sucks. I wasn't one who sat on the couch or drove down the road with one in. It was if I was hunting, coaching baseball, working outside, fishing, riding quads, etc... That kind of thing.

Rode my quad last weekend. I fell off the wagon. I stopped to get gas and like a dumbass I bought a bag of chew just for the ride. I put two in throughout the day. Was pissed at myself after. Threw the rest away.

So, since Gwynn died I've had two chews in one day. Pretty good I guess, but my will power let me down that day.

Then curt schilling. I don't feel bad for Schilling or Gwynn. I hate to hear news like this, but I don't feel bad. That big warning should be enough right? Your kids or wife should be enough, right?

The casual user? I think you're probably safe. If you live most of each day with one in? I hope you have good genes and don't become a statistic.

Why does all the enjoyable stuff have to be bad for you? Damn!!!

Where's my chew?

Last edited:

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
When I quit a little over a year ago, after rubbing for 33 years, my biggest fear was not that it would kill me but that it would "maim" me to the point that life wouldn't be worth living.

Cotty-
I'm not gonna get on a soap box and say everyone should quit. I just don't wanna tempt fate or risk some crazy surgery that'll cause me to lose my tongue, jaw, etc...

Definitely a fear. I like to eat. I like to talk to people. Y'all think I type a lot? Yeah, I talk a lot too. I know "Shocker." lmao

I miss it greatly! I'm not sure how I'll handle the tree stand without it. I know cutting grass sucks. I know any outside work sucks.

I live my life outside, work and play.

Albert- take it from someone who would LOVE to quit: Stop now while it isn't a horrible habit. There are many great examples on here of guys who have quit. I need to suck up the positive energy from them and do it. It is a motha to quit after 20+years.

Jamie

Ohio
the hardest part for me was not chewing while I work. I work outside, play outside most days, too. really, it wasn't that bad, though. after the first week or so, it got easier everyday. two months later, I can't say that I miss it much. I like sunflower seeds, and they actually have some redeeming nutritional value. I still get to spit, my wife is happy, my mother is happy, I feel better.

I always told my wife that I could quit any time I want. I kicked the habit once already and I could do it again. summoning the courage to make the decision and stick to it is the biggest difficulty. once you commit, it is simply a matter of discipline. you won't ever quit until you want to. I used to be one of you young guys that though "that can't happen to me". as you get older you begin to realize your own mortality in ways that you cannot imagine when you are 25 or even 35 years old. take good care of yourselves today and you'll be glad you did when age 50 is sneaking up on you.

Fullbore

South Eastern Ohio
Lots of words of wisdom here Albert.
As my Bro stated, he and I dipped for 34 years and we quit almost 9 months ago. Hardest thing that I ever had to do, but not impossible. Will power is the most important ingredient.

Now where did I put my can? Lol

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
the hardest part for me was not chewing while I work. I work outside, play outside most days, too. really, it wasn't that bad, though. after the first week or so, it got easier everyday. two months later, I can't say that I miss it much. I like sunflower seeds, and they actually have some redeeming nutritional value. I still get to spit, my wife is happy, my mother is happy, I feel better.

I always told my wife that I could quit any time I want. I kicked the habit once already and I could do it again. summoning the courage to make the decision and stick to it is the biggest difficulty. once you commit, it is simply a matter of discipline. you won't ever quit until you want to. I used to be one of you young guys that though "that can't happen to me". as you get older you begin to realize your own mortality in ways that you cannot imagine when you are 25 or even 35 years old. take good care of yourselves today and you'll be glad you did when age 50 is sneaking up on you.

Great post!

I have a body that has been tobacco and alcohol free since birth. Never had the desire to try either one in my 62 years of life. I've always been active and never a couch potato. Still had a heart attack at 58 and triple bypass three days later. Joe, is right, we will all die from something.

lung buster

hocking county
I quit dip 70 days ago after 20+ yrs. It really sucked in the beginning but gets better each day! My #1 trigger starts Sept 1st but I will get past it! I highly recommend anybody that is thinking about quitting to check out the kill the can site! There is a ton of info there!

Hoytmania

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Gods Country
My dentist told me there is no actual link between chew and cancer. Told me to move it around. Make sure I rinse my mouth or brush my teeth after whenever possible. I honestly believe we all have cancer in our bodies. Some people trigger it and others never get it activated. My great grandmother rolled her own smokes for years with tobacco she grew. Dipped snuff as well. Lived until she was 2wks shy of 95. Did quit smoking later on in life but in the 1980's she had her first heart issues. She was in the hospital demanding her smokes. lol On the contrary, I watched a 39yr old classmate of mine get buried last week. To my knowledge she did not smoke or chew. Cancer is evil and unpredictable. I am not so sure the chew causes the cancer but I think if you keep chewing when you have sores in your mouth from it. . . probably doesn't help. I hesitantly type this because most of you that have seen me have seen me with a chew in nearly all the time. I am not proud of it. Stopped several times for a month or so. Quit for a year at one point. Seems every time i quit and took it up again, it was harder to quit. If you can casually chew and don't feel like it is a problem to quit, I would recommend quitting. It is an ugly, disgusting, and expensive habit. Whether it hurts your health or not? Who knows. Maybe it isn't the tobacco, but all the other crap the mix in there. Wish I could quit. Probably need some desire to quit in order to start quitting. That is not a good thing on my part.

Phil find your desire in your family, especially Garret. If I had to guess with your statements above you wouldn't want your son starting out and developing a habit of snuff. I guess you need to ask yourself if you want to be able to tell him not to do it while having a dip in your mouth.

This is ultimately what help push my decision to quit smoking. I knew I didn't want my kids smoking and wanted to be able to tell them without them asking " Well why are you still smoking"

As for the rest of you that are quitting great job and keep it up!