Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Doggone good dog thread

Smawgunner2

Athens County
ASPCA rescued this dog from a hoarding case in Scioto county along with 40+ other dogs, all living in cars and a trailer. He's a mental basket case but such an appreciative dog. 1 1/2 years old then, 8 years old now.
6D6F39EA-92A8-4385-9E25-472B2EA36768.jpeg
952B1EA7-C34A-4B98-B822-FE3FDACAB53D.jpeg

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
My son and I slipped out back Sunday morning to try to jump-shoot some wood ducks from the creek. Our second pass worked out well, as we flushed a pair in an ideal spot for shooting, and I was fortunate to make a good shot on the drake. It fell on the opposite side and the creek is too deep to cross without waders, so I went up to the house to get a dog. Got Betty into position, lined her up, gave the “dead bird… back” command, and off she went. Across the creek, up the hill, through the brush, and returned with said wood duck about 90 seconds later. Just like she always does. Just like she always has done. So it was a good day!

This bird is special because it’s the first duck I’ve killed at my home property. I made up my mind to get it mounted as soon as I picked it up. It’s also special for another reason, a major milestone. Coincidentally, later that night I was cleaning up some of my Google Drive documents and opened up one where I keep a tally of retrieves. I’ve documented every hunting-related retrieve that Betty has ever made for me and my buddies. Last season was basically a wash because she had a litter of puppies. But I added this wood duck for 2021 and guess what… it was exactly her 700th retrieve. Pretty cool I thought. Definitely one of the more memorable ones now.
073E4F79-FD72-43C6-BB37-EB3596DDC2D5.jpeg
E5A3ABA6-9AEE-4E55-B3B7-EFC4413C5794.jpeg

Last edited:

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Awaiting another boxer. I've posted some others. We've talked off and on about another dog. Currently there is a one year old male who is in need of a new home. We will see if he finds his way to our home or not. The rescue recently took him in due to a house fire for his previous owners. They lost everything and couldn't keep him. I guess he is a traumatized mess and traveling to a dog trainer/whisperer tomorrow. The rescue contacted us and said we sounded like a good fit for him.

Boxers don't like change. They need security. They don't do well in kennels, boarders, and don't do well if removed from their family. Not sure the dog guru or what he will do to work with this boxer. Sticking a dog like this in a forever home is "usually" best. Let them decompress. Let them settle in and adjust. In this case, the dog seems to relax immediately when he sees another dog. I think a laid back big brother, like Otis, would be good for a pup in distress. If it is meant to be, it will be.