Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Doggone good dog thread

Pike is really coming along. He helped me trim hooves for the winter today. He is truly a one in one thousand border collie as far as working ability goes. Very few six month old dogs are this advanced in training. He has a wonderful temperament and the right ingredents to be an outstanding working dog. Which is why he got to stay.

IMG_20181212_173537_657.jpg
20181212_193214.jpg

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Nice addition to the thread Buckkillr.

Glad to hear the collie is working well Tom.

Hank is back to 100%. If you heard my story and saw him today (36hrs later) you would call me a liar. I cannot believe how quickly he went downhill AND recovered. I won't complain. Very thankful. He is eating, drinking, and really perked back up. For a 10yr old dog, he is pretty spry. At 10, one never knows. Vet said blood work looked great for a dog his age. I'll take it.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Good update Phil, glad he’s back too normal...

Tom, good looking pup, that’s pretty damn good for a pup that age too show that potential.....

I’ve come too the conclusion this pup of mine will have this incision split for a while. The glue didn’t last 24 hours. She’s just an energetic pup and twists and turns too much. No discharge this time and it still looks good so we’ll just keep and eye on it and make sure it doesn’t get infected....

Lundy

We lost out Golden a few months ago at almost 10 years old. He was acting somewhat normal that night and the next morning was in obvious distress. He had a large inter cyst rupture on his liver and he was bleeding to death internally. There was no remedy and he was put down just a couple of hours later. Hes at the vet every 6 months is entire life and there was never a diagnosis for what was coming from the vet but maybe we should have know ourselves. It wasn't until after this event and doing some reading about the disease that killed him that I found out that 60% of all Goldens die of cancer in the US, along with labs and German Sheppards.

"About 60 percent of all Golden Retrievers will die from cancer – 57 percent of females and 66 percent of males. The two most common types of cancer in this breed are hemangiosarcoma and lymphoma."

This was a devastating event for our family especially my wife, the two of them where together constantly all day every day on our property while she would be outside gardening or doing whatever. He was a very important emotional support to her.

We have always had a dog in the family for nearly all of the 45 years we have been married, certainly the last 35 years straight. After we lost Charlie there was no discussion of getting another dog, My wife and my granddaughters, they live with us said no more dogs, it hurts too much when you lose them, I didn't disagree at all, I still tear up thinking about him.

So to my surprise 7 weeks ago my wife comes to me and says she wants to get another dog, another Golden, but wants it to be different looking than Charlie. So we are getting an English Creme Golden. The mother just arrived in the US from Austria 8 weeks ago, already pregnant and had her 8 puppies 3 weeks ago. We have the 2nd pick of the males and will be picking our our future family member at the end of December and bringing him home in mid Jan.
281.JPG
image001.jpg

I learned a lot about Golden's after we lost Charlie and reading about his cancer. The breed originated in Scotland. The English Creme is almost white. The cancer rate occurrence rate of the European bloodlines is half the rate of the US bloodline Goldens. So we have a new baby coming home and we are happy to do it all over again with a new member of the family.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Lundy you pulled tears and smiles out on that one. Sorry to hear about Charlie. Enjoy the new pup. Thanks for the education. I learned a bit.

triple_duece

Ragin Cajun.
Sorry to hear this but our dogs will come and go as we live longer than their life span. Losing a love one is very painful, but think about your life without them and the decision to get another is easy. I think your wife made a good choice. Without a dog in my life there would be a huge hole in it. You will soon have that hole filled w love, enjoyment and fulfillment.

Everything has an end...even us, hold on, embrace the ride and live a fulfilled life.... we only get one chance.

Last edited:

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Kim, sorry for your families loss, and like Phil said. Tears one minute and smiles when the pup pictures were posted.... Good luck with your new journey....

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Stopped at my buddy's this morning on the way to work. Lulu appears to be ripe for impregnating and it didn't take Ben long to mount her for several good pumps. Leaving her until tomorrow, then crossing our fingers!

View attachment 65645

Left her 72 hours, but it wasn't enough or it wasn't well timed in her cycle as it appears she did not take. We're well beyond the typical gestation period for a dog and she shows zero sign of being pregnant. Pretty bummed, but we'll try again. In the meantime, I'm starting to shop for a fox red lab. I miss training a dog and I miss having a working dog. We have 270 acres where I work and with the topper on my truck and my flexible schedule, I have all I need to train regularly on a daily basis. Dog can crate train in the truck, work on obedience at lunch and stop by the river or lake on the way home. Ideally, I have a started pup ready for field experience by this time next year.