Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Extra weekend Day ONe!

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Gonna put it out there buddy because I know you can take it. You ain't a bad dad, but you did have a bit of head up ass IMO. Considering he has never killed a buck and he wanted to shoot that one, I think you should have let him. My first buck was a 5-point and its a hunt I'll never forget. That 3-point would have created a special memory for both of you and it could have lit a serious flame in Klay.

That being said, I understand why you didn't want him to shoot it and it is a good lesson. You are his dad and a damn good one at that, so ultimately it is your call. He'll be pissed for a few days, but I imagine he'll be begging you to take him out come muzzleloader. Don't kick yourself man, he'll come around.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I don't think it makes you a bad dad, but I'd have let my kid shoot whatever he wanted. Seriously, any deer. My son killed his first deer last year. It was a doe, and he shot it on a farm I havent shot a doe off of in years. There aren't many deer there, and I value them highly...but it was his first deer. If he would have wanted to shoot one there this year, I'd have let him again. Then again, maybe I just have a lack of discipline.

dante322

*Supporting Member*
Crawford county
got out around noon, all i saw was another hunter. dumbass parked right behind me and walked right on in on me. bout 4:00 I heard talking behind me on the opposite side of a winter wheat field, turned to see 4 guys getting set up to do a drive. A few minutes later the shooting started back in the woods. the drivers were using guns to move the deer, in 45 minutes I counted 35 shots, some from a pistol. But nothing moved. which is good, because if they ran into that field i would have been in the line of fire. I say it again, you should have to get a special permit to do drives. just so the DOW can make sure things are being done safely and legally.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Thanks guys for the opinions... trust me, I was mad at myself too. Damned if i do, damned if I don't. If it was anywhere else I would've let him. I just hate taking a buck like that off this property. I prob fugged up. Dang...

Mike as you know hindsight is always 20/20 you did what you thought was right..... we're not perfect and will make mistakes.... learn and move on too the next lesson....

twireman

Kingston, OH
Had him at my stand ten minutes before I got there this morning (trail cam)......

He's been coming to another feed site every evening this week just too late..around 6pm. I'm hoping he will come out earlier eventually as the winter moves along. I'll keep pumpin' corn till a arrow or sabot runs through him!!!

8point.jpg

Curran

Supporting Member
Central Ohio
Scouted for geese late this afternoon & didn't see a single bird. Did see tons of deer out feeding in the fields though. One farm that just recently took off the corn had 15+ deer out there eating up the waste grain. Only saw one spec of hunter orange hunter along all the miles I covered today.

Gonna hit it tomorrow afternoon and see if I can get lucky

Schu72

Streetsboro
Cotty, Did he know about the 6 point rule? If so, I think you did the right thing. Personally I don't see the difference between a 3 point and a 6 point, as they are both immature deer, but if that's the rule you agreed on giving in would have set a bad precedent.

rgecko23

*Supporting Member*
Massillon, Ohio
Dad and I didn't see jack! Total waste of a day. Gonna try a different spot tomorrow evening. Pretty dissapointed. How does everything just dissapear? Im talking total waste land of nothing. We walked the entire property and didn't see one deer. We heard 3 shots the whole day and when we went to lunch we saw orange everywhere.....Totally Insane!

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Cotty, Did he know about the 6 point rule? If so, I think you did the right thing. Personally I don't see the difference between a 3 point and a 6 point, as they are both immature deer, but if that's the rule you agreed on giving in would have set a bad precedent.

He did know. I think he's ok now. He said he's gonna keep trying.

By the way, the landowner just texted me, "let him shoot!".
Lol

huntn2

Hudson, OH
Heard a couple shots this evening. Bumped a couple on the way in but didn't see what they were. Haven't seen a deer from a stand in the last 5 hunts.....

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I almost feel guilty posting. I killed one today. Sorry you guys aren't seeing any. Finally got the monkey off my back and spilled some blood with the TC muzzle loader I bought last year. Felt pretty dang good too! In just behind the shoulder on near side, and exited straight thru the shoulder on the offside. 30yds like a bull dozer and she was done.

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
I almost feel guilty posting. I killed one today. Sorry you guys aren't seeing any. Finally got the monkey off my back and spilled some blood with the TC muzzle loader I bought last year. Felt pretty dang good too! In just behind the shoulder on near side, and exited straight thru the shoulder on the offside. 30yds like a bull dozer and she was done.

-Outstanding Hicks!
Lot heaver than a 12 gage to carry, aint they!

But they sure do the job!.
Carried mine 2 season before getting it blood TOO.

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.

Well SCREW YOU!!!

:smiley_coolpeace:
What I really meant to say was good job!!

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
Our day was a total waste.......Soon as daylight hit and the heart started pumping good.....I can hear someone yelling for one in our party (who is a Grandson of one of the owners)....I go to see what is going on and find out that a "Short Bus" Yes, it was a converted short bus with 12 guys came in on us and said one of the landowners gave permission. She was called and verified it was a lie. Short bus left in a hurry.... 15 minutes later, 8 guys came marching through from another direction and another altercation started......Had to go and fetch the map to prove our boundary's. Tried to organize a couple drives and one of the fellas wanted to run around acting like a Tazmanian Devil on Crack.....Said he didn't need to know where the standers were.....OK time for me to go..............Had never hunted with him before and will not ever again. He was a friend of a friend and still is. If you can't do it safely, don't do it at all. No wonder I'd rather bow hunt......a lot less idiots! Left Coshocton to sit in a stand at Diane's.....Just before I got there a group of Tresspassers were dropped off and they went up the powerlines and she said it sounded like a war broke out there were so many shots. I went up to the stand for about 2 hrs anyhow and no trace of a deer anywhere....finally thought...Fugg It...I've Got Beer At Home! I did see a Nice Buck in a field on the way home and like 20 doe total........Staying in bed tomorrow.....

Glad to hear you got one Mike! Good Job My Friend!

Good to hear you got one TOO Hicks......Don't feel bad for posting...We are glad for you!

Last edited:

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
If it makes you guys feel any better, it was dead after 830am. I headed home to warm my toes, eat lunch, and meet with Buckrun for a minute. Nice to see him although I think it might have been early for him since he works seconds. Drove around to see where the other hunters were only to find none. Headed back to the farm I had hunted up to 11. Got in there again at roughly 2pm. Dead until maybe 4pm. I had seen 6 in the morning, and 4 in the evening. Not bad although no good bucks. I did see a half racked spike with a massive body on him.

Sam- I was really hoping to see you spill some blood with the beautiful piece you were carrying today. I have been thinking about that gun since you mentioned you were hunting with it. I love that thing! Good luck tomorrow. Oh, and screw you too!:smiley_crocodile: