Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I know… it’s a little late for this post… but I just didn’t get a chance to write it up sooner.

I’m a believer in the terminal performance of solid copper sabot slugs and this post is to offer some evidence to support my beliefs. I did some obligatory shooting the day after thanksgiving to make sure my gun was still dialed in. Shooting into a heavy clay backstop allowed me to recover several of the slugs. It also allowed me to compare them to a Remington Accutip, which I am not a big fan of at all. In the first pics below, you can see the very obvious difference in expansion and retention. Accutip on top, Federal Trophy Copper on the bottom.

1669683077510.jpeg

1669683123049.jpeg

1669683195301.jpeg

Here’s the undisturbed impact of one of the Trophy Coppers. I didn’t touch this at all before taking this picture. The way it blew that clay open was pretty impressive. In the same pic, although completely unnoticeable, are two impacts of the Remington Accutips just below and slightly to the left of the Federal. The difference in energy transfer appears to be significant. And it confirms what I always suspected… that the knockdown power (rather, a lack thereof) of the Accutips left a lot to be desired. Granted, I am slightly comparing apples to oranges here… a 3” Federal round versus a 2.75”, and slightly lighter, Remington round. But hey, this ain’t Mythbusters here.
Anecdotal is my middle name.

1669683469812.jpeg

Here’s a 3-shot group of the Federals from 100 yards. My gun of choice was a Savage 220I believe it could have been better, but my rest was less than perfect and my trigger discipline was even worse. I tend to get a little flinchy when shooting slugs.

1669683569031.jpeg

Take that for what it is and do with it what you like, or don’t. But if you haven’t tried an all copper, expander-type sabot or bullet, I think it is worth your time and money to do so.

1669683803468.jpeg

1669683902977.jpeg

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Awesome review. The last ones I shot were the Remmington copper solids. I shot two deer with them and both of them came apart inside the deer. Both passthrough but I found a lot of copper in both deer. Glad to see there is a solid copper slug that holds up to its weight retention claims.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Awesome review. The last ones I shot were the Remmington copper solids. I shot two deer with them and both of them came apart inside the deer. Both passthrough but I found a lot of copper in both deer. Glad to see there is a solid copper slug that holds up to its weight retention claims.
This was my primary reason for not buying these was my experience with the Remington Copper Solids. Got tired of eating copper after shooting a deer and expected the same from these.

Reactions: Jackalope

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio

This was my primary reason for not buying these was my experience with the Remington Copper Solids. Got tired of eating copper after shooting a deer and expected the same from these.
And I will also add, I do have several slugs that I have recovered from actual deer… and they all show the same performance. Great expansion and retention. My only dislike is that you can’t find them without a plastic ballistic tip. Sometimes you can find that in the carcass floating around, but it’s rare. The hollow points that Barnes used to sell never had that issue.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Enjoyed the read and found it very informative. Side note- start doing some shoulder shrugs and lat raises so that gun dont beat you up and you stop flinching 😂
Lol! Wish I could argue that… But you’re 100% right. I need to get back in the gym in the worst way ever.

Reactions: Left field