Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Hicks hunting log

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
Hate to tell you this.....Hawk-eye Diane just spotted a 135-140 9pt. He was across the street headding W-E about 150 yds out.........Got the Bino's on him, but he got behind the hill before I could get zoomed-in for a pic.......... He is now in front of the stand you were in last night........

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Doubt I ever find that arrow but I am willing to sling one a little out of my effective range on a pair of coyotes. If nothing else, they aren't milling around to scare the deer. Heck, they might bump some my way as they run south along the finger.

Diane

*Supporting Member*
Newark
Keep the updates coming!

All this action has me thinking about taking you up on the gun season offer Rick.

I would love that!

Doubt I ever find that arrow but I am willing to sling one a little out of my effective range on a pair of coyotes.

Kill 'em all, we'll replace your arrows! :smiley_coolpeace:

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
WOW! Keep an eye on that "hole" in the thicket....... But don't forget the other area's around you TOO.

Without a doubt. BB popped back into hayfield to my west. Keeps looking in thicket but not entering. Hope that is a sign. And no, the coyotes went SE. I don't think it is them.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Forty/spike has been hanging out when out of same pocket appears a good one. At least 5 on the left side. 65yds is all he would give me. I wanna scream! Came out from west and once in the open stepped up to a trot. I stopped him 3 times with can call, then grunt, finally tried rattle bag. This was the third stop but he was headed to the corn and u couldn't bring him in. Forky came in. Little puke buck. Why didn't big boy? Argh.

Wind is picking up. Maybe he will loop back or another was one will.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Great updates guys! At this time of the season, they can show back up anytime Phil! Good luck!

That is what I am hoping. I could smell musky buck pee off and on this morning. With steady wind now maybe my Tinks will bring him back. I just freshened the Stink Stick.

Sorry Diane. Your grey ditch tiger walked under me while messing with Tinks. Never drew back.

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
That cornfield isn't all THAT big.......Good chance he will cruise it and the woods....Then come back down that finger in front of you. My thicket is like the "Home Base" (Going for pumpkin's @ 9:30..(1/2 mile)..use the cell number)

Diane

*Supporting Member*
Newark
Sorry Diane. Your grey ditch tiger walked under me while messing with Tinks. Never drew back.

:tantrum: Now you definitely owe me a big buck! He was suppose to be first on the hit list. :smiley_boos:

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
:tantrum: Now you definitely owe me a big buck! He was suppose to be first on the hit list. :smiley_boos:

Guess I should kept that to myself. Lmao

One sandwich and a granola bar gone
Kicking myself again om pants chosen. Should have gone fleece. Im a dummy. Activity is stagnant. Time to eat some more. Stupid tapeworm. Stupid "I know something" threads. Lol

And there you have my random thoughts. I do hear a squirrel giving a warning. Maybe luck will change.

Last edited:

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Food is gone. Deer must be staying home to watch the ballgames or something. They sure aren't out on the town. I should be pumped up and anticipating the next action. I am sorta yawning though. Not a complaint
It just is what it is. I think it is the intensity of the moment and extreme focus for long durations that drain me

Just keep thinking at any moment this place can be a hot bed of activity!

Diane

*Supporting Member*
Newark
I'm hunting tonight, Hicks. We'll place wagers and have a lil competition between us! Might make for some good luck!

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Z is the man. He cracks me up. I am going to rub the antlers on his 15pt buck before i head back out. Shoot, I might rub Rick and Diane's bucks as well. I have seen them all in person now and i am stoked! The deer are here. Twice now in 2 days I have been within 100yds of shooters. Too bad it wasn't muzzle loader season. lmao

Warming up. Changing gear to some warmer stuff. Heading back out. Just got to put my time in the stand. I think it could happen at any moment right now. Just need to limit my down time and get back in the stand ASAP.