Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

"J"'s 2016/17 Rabbit Adventures

Fletch

Supporting Member
"J" Sounds like you've been getting out a lot chasing bunnies.. Good for you... But you have beers left over from the super bowl??? Bet your biting at the bit for fishing season to start...

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
"J" Sounds like you've been getting out a lot chasing bunnies.. Good for you... But you have beers left over from the super bowl??? Bet your biting at the bit for fishing season to start...

The guy I was hunting with yesterday fishes a Wednesday night tournament that I fish throughout the summer and we were both commenting how this spring the temps would have is on the water lol...
Looking forward too getting back out on the boat but in the meantime I'm spending as much time outdoors as I can lol...

Too easy to get caught up in that cabin fever BS....

Renovator

I enjoy reading your updates. What area are you from. Sounds like your not to far from me. I'm jealous of your multi outings. I'm raising a family now coaching the kids in baseball and football. It's going fast.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
I enjoy reading your updates. What area are you from. Sounds like your not to far from me. I'm jealous of your multi outings. I'm raising a family now coaching the kids in baseball and football. It's going fast.

I spent years coaching, cheering them on and being the mass transit for sporting events lol.... Making up for it now lol...

Columbiana county (northern) about 30 minutes from Youngstown....

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Wow what a retirement

You as well as a lot on here know what the deployment life is like.... I spent a decade and a half deploying off and on not counting the 2 decades before that with skirmishes that flared up.... We go thru the not so great times so we can enjoy much better times.....

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Spent 3.5 hours out today with a retired buddy and his two dogs.... They've been packing up pretty good the last few times out and am very pleased with them.... Dicks two males are the same ages as my two females and have been out 5 times so far....

Had a half dozen runs this afternoon and the first 3 holed up fairly quickly which kind of surprised me but they are rabbits.... The next two were good long runs that were taken by Dick and we're both males.... The last one slipped by us twice (went in between us) and didn't want too play the third time.... They lost it and we had too call it quits as Dick had to go pick up his better half....

I'm heading down to Bolivar again tomorrow and should have a good day according too Zach lol.... I'll update after I get back, if I'm still able too lmao.... Last time I was wore the hell out lol.... Stay tuned...

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Ive been off for awhile. So ive missed a few updates. Gonna wear them old girls out with all that runnin. Seems like the season just started

They're down about 6 pounds from the beginning of the season.... March will weight gain and healing up... Sarah had 3 thorns in her right front paw yesterday.... Bled pretty bad but after removing them and cleaning it up it wasn't as bad and she didn't seem too gimpy... Taking today off and checking her tomorrow morning....

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Went down to Bolivar area again yesterday with my buddy Dick and hunted with Zach and his buddy Brett.... Had some good runs and got 3 or 4 but had as many runs that holed up, we had 4 dogs and they did a good Jon after the frost melted off.... Had to grab Sarah and remove thorns outta her right front paw 3 different times throughout the day....
When we got home I noticed she was still favoring her front paw and when I rolled her over too inspect it I noticed a good about of blood coming from it... Got it cleaned off and saw the remnants of another thorn I missed and it was broke off almost flush, with my buddy Mike holding her down I got that one out but she was still favoring it when I left....

Went up to check on Sarah today and she was still walking around on 3 legs and left her in the kennel and took Candy out for a solo run.... Hit a spot for a quick drop and hopefully get a run or two in.... Jumped one after about 15 minutes and Candy brought it around 3.5 times and it ran by me within shooting distance all 3 times....
I let her run it till it holed up and she was done working the hole... 40 minutes run time was a good one so we headed too the truck and back too the kennel... She did good and I needed to get home and shower and make dinner...

Called the vet and Sarah goes in Friday, hopefully it's nothing to awe fully bad... Just hoping it's the effect of the thorns that we're in there.... Fingers crossed at she's up and at em in a week or so before seasons out....

Renovator

'J' You have been working those girls. Seasons coming to end, soon they will have time to rest. Sounds like there getting more minutes than LBJ

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Sarah's vet appt showed an inflamed right outside toe, not really sore too the touch but with pressure would make her whine.... Antibiotics for 10 days and see how it's then.... She's still showing a little issue with it but was walking on it it yesterday with no limp....

Friday, I grabbed Candy and we hit a few places. I was just going to try and get her an hour or so workout but ended up at almost 4 hours lol.... First spot is thick growled over pasture with fence completely around it and hit more for shed hunting then rabbits ....

100 yards into it I jumped one and she saw it and took off on it.... I walked another 20 yards and sat/leaned against a lay down... it was comfortable as I was there for almost 2 hours lol.... That rabbit came by at least 6 times and got further out each loop lol.... she finally lost it or it holed up, either way she got a workout lol.... We finished walking the circumference of the pasture checking for shed and nada..... Consistency is the name of the game lol.... And I consistently don't find them lol.....
We left there and drove too another property that's much smaller and over the last few years he's cut out most of the thickets.... Used to be a rabbit Mecca in there but these days it's more like hope for a run.... We didn't kick up any, so off too the kennel we went....

We used to hunt a property years ago about 2 miles down the road from my buddy, and there was property/family issues and we didn't want to get drawn into any BS so we just stopped hunting it.... I was driving by it and figured WTF, give it a shot.... Stopped by the farm house and knocked on the door and what do you know, he remembered me lol.... Talked for a few and I can come over anytime for a rabbit hunt.... [emoji1303]

Dropped the tailgate and let Candy out and we hadn't gone 50 yards and saw a dozen cats.... Damn.... Not cool.... Well at least for what I was wanting to do.... We headed to a couple thickets and nothing was there.... Headed to the back of the property and jumped one and Candy brought it around 2.5 times in a little over a half hour before losing it...

All in all not a bad day, weather was warm dry and breezy but she did good, and I was glad too be there see it.....