Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Live from Louisiana

triple_duece

Ragin Cajun.
What species of rattler is that Nick? Canebrake? Been meaning to ask ya when you posted it but kept forgetting till I saw it again in the harvest thread. Lol
Yes canebrake rattle snake. They are one of the most docile snakes I’ve been around. Now I’m not saying go handle a live one, but they are not aggressive and I’ve walked up to plenty and never heard one rattle until I hit it w a stick. Never seen one strike. I’m sure I’ve walked passed many and never knew it.

Reactions: finelyshedded

triple_duece

Ragin Cajun.
Got home at almost 5pm. Front cane in around 5:30. Hunter is at the camp hunting and I’m outside for an hour and a half cleaning and putting up meat from his deer. I’m not doing this right! 🤷🏼‍♂️
Now two deer were deboned and cleaned before we left and one was quartered up. Yesterday we wrapped roast, inner loins, hearts and back straps. Got to work tomorrow and headed to the camp tomorrow evening. Next week my vacation will start but not run all the way through the end of the year as I’ve used some on the Midwest trip. No ducks down currently so probably just deer watch this weekend. Hunter sat a stand and seen 6 does. Dj will start hunting next week also. We will all hunt the either sex weekend in the wma.

triple_duece

Ragin Cajun.
Made a hunt with layne and his friend. Went after wood ducks this morning. Not a bad hunt but not the limit.
44C9E77D-07F3-4C35-BF66-CE30B7189939.jpeg

triple_duece

Ragin Cajun.
It’s been tough hunting here for the thanksgiving weekend. Between 15 of us hunting only two does were killed. The weather has been awesome and I’ve been cold both mornings. Even the campground has only brought 3 deer total as of yesterday. That’s about 40+ hunters.

triple_duece

Ragin Cajun.
Hunted yesterday evening w me seeing two doe and dj seeing 3. Rained all last night and still sprinkling now at almost 8. We got back in the stand this morning at 7 gonna sit a while. Maybe something good will show up. Hunter went duck hunting in the rain and shot two woodies. Trying to get him to come sit on the property.

Reactions: Big_Holla and giles

triple_duece

Ragin Cajun.
Well my hunting season has hit an all time low. No deer, no ducks and on vacation.
came home yesterday evening, wanting to duck hunt this morning but opted out. Pearl woke me up at 4:30 by jumping in the bed standing over me whining…no shit. Woke up around 7, farted around and called Barry to see if he wanted to go scout and fish. Met him at the house and we pulled his Skeeter bass boat to the launch. Unhooked and he said we not going anywhere. Said there is no plug and the threads were gone also. Off the the boat ship to buy a new setup and installed it. Got back to the launch and put in. Tide wasn’t moving so we drove around the river looking for birds. Not many seen except for a few teal. We started fishing some drains up to ponds and picked up two reds and around 15 bass. We gonna try to kill some ducks in the morning.
F273AC2F-DE82-490B-A10E-0DB7338291EC.jpeg

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Well my hunting season has hit an all time low. No deer, no ducks and on vacation.
came home yesterday evening, wanting to duck hunt this morning but opted out. Pearl woke me up at 4:30 by jumping in the bed standing over me whining…no shit. Woke up around 7, farted around and called Barry to see if he wanted to go scout and fish. Met him at the house and we pulled his Skeeter bass boat to the launch. Unhooked and he said we not going anywhere. Said there is no plug and the threads were gone also. Off the the boat ship to buy a new setup and installed it. Got back to the launch and put in. Tide wasn’t moving so we drove around the river looking for birds. Not many seen except for a few teal. We started fishing some drains up to ponds and picked up two reds and around 15 bass. We gonna try to kill some ducks in the morning. View attachment 141279

If it's not one thing it's another. What the hell stripped the plug out?

triple_duece

Ragin Cajun.
Pearl woke me up at 4:30, had my alarm set for quarter till. My buddy backed out and I laid there not feeling like getting up. Laid there for 30 minutes and said fuck it I’m going. Got settled in before shooting time. At daybreak I heard a few shots and could hear them squealing as they flew through the woods. Only one bird flew over but no shot.
After day broke and sun was rising in the trees, I slowly slipped down the bayou in the woods listening for the wood ducks talking to each other. Every bend in the bayou I snuck to the bank to scan and jump shoot. Got one drake and pearl busted on me as the others didn’t know what was going on. She swam across and got the bird. Went down further and same thing, shot another drake and bird was returned to hand. Walked down further but couldn’t make it happen. Turned back for the direction of the truck and continued the process. Some of the ducks flew back so I figured I’d get another chance. Went down about 500 yards and peeked out, was fixing to leave when I seen a drake 60 yards away. He didn’t see me and for some strange reason turned and started swimming down stream towards me. Couple minutes pass and I see ripples closer to me. He was 30 yards as I eased on my knees around a tree and shot him. He was wounded and swimming w just his beak in the water. I hurried down the bayou to get another shot when he popped up. Boom and he went under again swimming into a big downfall in the bayou. I sent pearl for it as the top was covering all of the water. Sat there as she worked and finally caught him another 40 yards upstream. Finished him w another shot and sent pearl for the retrieve. Took pics and was soaking up the hunt. It’s been tough for me this year.
7422001C-37F9-4EC7-ADFA-0BE04646383C.jpeg
F8792510-F20E-4043-9EB7-6BAC776D155B.jpeg