Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Official TOO Catch Thread

triple_duece

Ragin Cajun.

Reactions: Sgt Fury

OO2

In the Uplands
Hope you guys aren’t getting tired of my pics haha. Managed to hook a snook before dinner tonight.

A693B047-780E-4953-BFA3-670C41A2114C.jpeg

Lost a real fighter of a fish too. Fought it for 30s and gave it a couple good jerks to set the hook (I thought). Almost seems like the fish runs with it and then drops it all of a sudden. I am not sure what could be happening as I have lost a couple fish like this. But have had decent hook placement on the others I have caught. Any thoughts?

Sgt Fury

Sgt. Spellchecker
Hope you guys aren’t getting tired of my pics haha. Managed to hook a snook before dinner tonight.

View attachment 81253

Lost a real fighter of a fish too. Fought it for 30s and gave it a couple good jerks to set the hook (I thought). Almost seems like the fish runs with it and then drops it all of a sudden. I am not sure what could be happening as I have lost a couple fish like this. But have had decent hook placement on the others I have caught. Any thoughts?
Try circle hooks.😊

Sgt Fury

Sgt. Spellchecker
I agree circle hooks would be ideal. Unfortunately I am throwing artificial swim bait Texas rigged with a weighted hook. Not sure if they make circle hook for that use? If they did that’d be great
B64D5226-0FD1-43C7-A480-E7300FA759B1.jpeg
222B848D-D1D6-4018-8576-EB709C264489.jpeg
25932C05-D02F-40EF-AAE4-8F44FAAB36F3.jpeg

They make ‘em....I replace the treble hooks on most of my lures with circle hooks. Much easier to remove the hook and get the fish back in the water.😊

triple_duece

Ragin Cajun.
Wife is trying to talk me into to going to destin next week. I hate sand and hot weather. Did you need a fishing license to fish off the beach? I think if I’m gonna fish, just as well get on a head charter boat and catch some small snapper. It’s looking like 5 days of drinking and enjoying a sun burn in my future.

OO2

In the Uplands
Wife is trying to talk me into to going to destin next week. I hate sand and hot weather. Did you need a fishing license to fish off the beach? I think if I’m gonna fish, just as well get on a head charter boat and catch some small snapper. It’s looking like 5 days of drinking and enjoying a sun burn in my future.

Yes I needed a fishing license. Not too bad, around $30

Reactions: triple_duece

Creamer

Athens
Working in Athens, when the Hocking is in good shape (hasn't been much since 2017), I sometimes take a quick trip over to fish for 45 minutes at lunch. Usually I'll pick up some crappies, maybe a bass or two. I had popped 3 crappies in a little side eddy against the bank on a weighted gold/white fly today when something considerably larger took a swipe.

I figured it was a big cat...or a state record smallie..but probably a cat. I've caught plenty of channel cats on the fly but never a flathead. It was a solid 5+ minutes before I ever even saw it, but when I did I saw a square tail and knew it was no channel cat. Shit got hairy when it dove into an undercut bank, but I got him out of there on my little 3wt glass fly rod. Somehow.

OO2

In the Uplands
Working in Athens, when the Hocking is in good shape (hasn't been much since 2017), I sometimes take a quick trip over to fish for 45 minutes at lunch. Usually I'll pick up some crappies, maybe a bass or two. I had popped 3 crappies in a little side eddy against the bank on a weighted gold/white fly today when something considerably larger took a swipe.

I figured it was a big cat...or a state record smallie..but probably a cat. I've caught plenty of channel cats on the fly but never a flathead. It was a solid 5+ minutes before I ever even saw it, but when I did I saw a square tail and knew it was no channel cat. Shit got hairy when it dove into an undercut bank, but I got him out of there on my little 3wt glass fly rod. Somehow.

Thats awesome, congratulations. I never figured there’d be fish in the hocking when I’m driving over the Richland Ave bridge to class during school. Always looks muddy or real shallow.

Reactions: Creamer