Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Official TOO Catch Thread

Sgt Fury

Sgt. Spellchecker
I will send you a special pic. [emoji50]
1EA5D711-0605-4CA6-91F8-88CC71F95365.gif

Reactions: triple_duece

Redhunter1012

Supporting Member
Got to go fishing with a great guy today. Rick was my Dad's best friend. They hunted a fished together almost as much as Dad and I, maybe more once I got my own family. Since Dad passed, Rick pretty much quit it all. Finally this year he drug his boat out and started fishing again. We were finally able to hook up and fish. Although we had maybe my slowest day for keepers all year, we caught tons of fish and just caught up. Ended the day with 6 keeper eyes and a crappie. We did boat the biggest eye of the year for the boat, a 24.5" toad. That's a big big saugeye. We laughed alot and remembered old stories nearly forgotten. Just a great way to end my Indian Lake season
20190706_141720.jpg

Had a freaking blast saturday night. Took my wife and daughter to run some jugs on Clark Hill and had a great night. We rolled up on the annual firework show which the little one loved. Little over 3 hour soak and we boated 19 cats and 2 gar. Great mess of fish for a short night. Blueback herring was the bait of choice. Had a cookout for the family, smoked some for dip, and froze 15 lbs of fillets. All in all a wonderful night of making memories.
F4Zd74xq-19507816.jpg
D3h3KrZ4-19501453.jpg
ah1Rw0ii-19514432.jpg
yKO9vYMY-19521232.jpg
ChzKRJ9X-19525761.jpg
qviIsMIF-19531567.jpg

Creamer

Athens
A friend of mine has been telling me for a while about a pond close to him with supersized sunfish. Mostly the green/bluegill hybrids. I'm a sucker for a big sunfish and finally got to fish the place with him on Saturday morning. It didn't disappoint.

I was fishing this fly a lot, sort of a large dragonfly nymph pattern I came up with. I caught several big tank sunfish on it, saw a sunfish take a bug off the surface and made a long cast towards it with this fly. I could see the fly, gave it a couple little strips, and this guy came up and took a swipe.

Creamer

Athens
Makes sense. I have been fishing longer than any other outdoor activity and only recently have I heard the term. But, step south of the Mason Dixon and people call bluegill, brim...looked at that fella like wtf u say?

I know a guy in Florida where they call bluegill "bream," hybrid stripers are "sunshine bass," and crappie are "speckled perch." I think they call redears "shellcrackers," too.

5Cent

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
North Central Ohio
I don't know Dave. Maybe poppa bass told the smaller bass to bite, therefore he didn't volunteer, he did as he was told.🤔

I also think bass fishing is a type of fishing, therefore you can't just be bass fishing without fishing......the things that make ya go hmmmmmm

Reactions: the Lackster