Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Official TOO Catch Thread

Creamer

Athens
I like to push the boundaries on what is truly fly fishing. I have seen "fly rod spinnerbaits" before in a book, but I wanted to take a different run at it. I used some different materials and constructed the "fly" differently.

It's been pretty productive on the river crappies.

Saturday, a friend and I hit a small stream for smallmouth. The bite was really slow, fish were deep and not real aggressive. I caught a few but it was far from a banner day. I caught all of mine on a purple crayfish fly I tie.

Creamer

Athens
I took a day trip to WV yesterday. That meant a 2:30AM alarm, on the road by 3AM, drove through nasty rain 90% of the way, and was on the water fishing before 7AM. I fished until about 5PM and drove home. It makes for a long day but I can cram a lot of fishing into one day if I get started early enough.

I snuck up to a big rock like a ninja and dropped my dry fly into the side current. This brookie ate 6' from my face.

I mostly fish the small streams for the wild fish, but there's a larger stocked river with a C&R only stretch where I like to fish big meat flies looking for a bigger bite. I had a tank rainbow chase and nip at a large streamer twice, never got the hook. My consolation prize was my first ever tiger trout. They are a brown/brook trout hybrid.

Sgt Fury

Sgt. Spellchecker
D6B4F00B-C1D7-4009-9346-8931CED575D5.jpeg
45A262D0-2502-4F00-A032-1A7B87859A3D.jpeg
B78E0ED7-604D-491E-A26E-2E8CE73B469C.jpeg
F954921D-D769-480E-8B5A-65377B1791C8.jpeg

Went stripped bass fishing today at Fortescue beach. Horseshoe crabs are starting to move in...once they get here in force, fishing is over. They will F with your bait and tangle your lines. Black gnats were so thick as the day wore on that they forced me to retreat....literally thousands of them swarming around me. Might go white perch fishing tomorrow on the Mullica river...no gnats there. This time next week I’ll be in Potter county Pennsylvania doing a little trout fishing and drinking at night around a camp fire.👍