Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Ohio Turkey Hunting Report

aholdren

Supporting Member
South East Ohio
No birds road home with me today but still had one of my most enjoyable hunts. Beautiful crisp morning. Had one gobbling. 2 coyotes foiled that when they popped out between the bird and I. One was a really pretty blonde coat that I would have been happy to take to the taxi had they come closer. They drove the Tom to the other end of the field. Had 6 deer work through with 2 of them at about 5 yards.

Just a fun morning to enjoy nature.

That is truly a great hunt Ryan, congrats on an awesome morning chasing birds

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
uploadfromtaptalk1461549941487.jpg

When this fog was just starting to roll in there was 3 gobblers in full strut on the crest of the hill in the field. I slowly watched them disappear in the thickness of the fog and it was one of the coolest things I've seen while hunting!

Carpn

*Supporting Member*
Wooster
Btw. Lesson learned. I've always heard "wait until he comes out of strut". Always thought it was BS. It's 35 yards and he's about to get a face full of lead, nothing can survive that. I was doing a little research earlier. When strutting their neck is pulled in and forms an S shape. Out of strut their neck is a straight line, or at least a lot longer. The S shape reduces the kill zone by around 2/3. A long line neck bisecting a circle of shot will catch far more pellets up and down the neck increasing the odds of one being fatal. . It's like a baseball batter squatting in the box. Really hard to pitch a strike. Apparently shooting at a turkey while in strut at 35 yards is numerically like shooting at one at 70 yards when not in strut.

Yeah , definitely a smaller target . At 25 yds it's not a big deal . Farther away it becomes one tho . Good luck on your next encounter

rsmith

View attachment 43790

When this fog was just starting to roll in there was 3 gobblers in full strut on the crest of the hill in the field. I slowly watched them disappear in the thickness of the fog and it was one of the coolest things I've seen while hunting!
Thats a awesome pic and probally a memorable moment that you saw! Good luck everyone!

rsmith

Btw. Lesson learned. I've always heard "wait until he comes out of strut". Always thought it was BS. It's 35 yards and he's about to get a face full of lead, nothing can survive that. I was doing a little research earlier. When strutting their neck is pulled in and forms an S shape. Out of strut their neck is a straight line, or at least a lot longer. The S shape reduces the kill zone by around 2/3. A long line neck bisecting a circle of shot will catch far more pellets up and down the neck increasing the odds of one being fatal. . It's like a baseball batter squatting in the box. Really hard to pitch a strike. Apparently shooting at a turkey while in strut at 35 yards is numerically like shooting at one at 70 yards when not in strut.

Here is a nice diagram for everyone. If you have a broadside shot it would be a great shot cause it is all in a nice area to hit but straight on it would be pretty hard.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Yep. He was strutted up facing right at me. I don't think I missed him as much as I just didn't kill him. You need all the pellets you can get in the killz one. When that killz one is 1/3rd it's regular size you're gonna have a bad day.

Spencie

Constitution Ohio
Finished up nights and headed to the farm near the house. A guy bypassed me on a 4 wheeler as I was walking in. So, I went out on the ridge which I have had much success. At daylight, many lit up along the fields where the 4w went. 45 minutes later I had one of those birds inside of 70 yards in full strut. Not sure if he could see the decoy or not but he would not commit. I had no desire to hunt in torrential rains without sleep (or much sleep...chem ops know what I mean) so I'm home and headed to bed.

Boarhead

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Didn't get out till 9 this morning and worked on brushing my homemade blind in a little better so i can draw the bow without them seeing me.
Got settled in and had some deer come by,at 10:30 had one gobble behind me after cutting on my mouth call.
Finally had 4 jakes come by at 20 yds and the longbeard had 2 hens with him and stayed back at 40 yds.
So far my tally is 1 miss but got some feathers lol and have had 4 other birds in range but just no shots,this recurve huntin is gonna be tough but it sure is fun.

Attachments

• 0427160953a.jpg
    0427160953a.jpg
    257.7 KB · Views: 114
  • 0427160952b.jpg
    0427160952b.jpg
    256.1 KB · Views: 113
  • 0427161003.jpg
    0427161003.jpg
    254.8 KB · Views: 110
  • 0427161011-1.jpg
    0427161011-1.jpg
    172.7 KB · Views: 115

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Looking good Brian! It's just a matter of time buddy! You have the time,property,shooting ability and DRIVE! Keep at it!!! This will be a heck of an accomplishment!!!!Good luck!!!

rsmith

Went out this morning and didn't hear a thing. Idk what's going on this year for me. I haven't seen a single tom or Jake since season started and have only seen 1 hen and last year I had 5 hens and 2 toms and 3 jakes around this time. I know that NE ohio is about 2 weeks behind southern ohio as far as turkey behavior due to weather that's why next year my season is from May 1st through the 31st. But I just find it odd. Oh well.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Your determination is impressive Brian. I struggle to find motivation to get up early to hunt turkeys with my shotgun. Partially because there aren't many around here. Partially because my work schedule is crazy right now.

Last edited:

rsmith

Nice setup, Brian. That is one awesome looking bow you carry.

Are they changing the dates for next year Ryan?
Yes the season is for NE Ohio, I forget what counties probally Lake, Geauga, Ashtabula, and Trumbell but I saw a map floating around somewhere. I'll look and see if I can find it again.

rsmith

Nice setup, Brian. That is one awesome looking bow you carry.

Are they changing the dates for next year Ryan?

Found it, can't figure out what counties it is for sure but this is what I found. Hopefully this will help us out up north a little more with being able to bag some birds. I would really like to take my girlfriends dad out again and have him and his father double up cause his father have never turkey hunted and it would be a awesome memory to be a part of cause his father has never been turkey hunting he has only deer hunted his entire life.

huntn2

Hudson, OH
Hit it hard this morning. Had one on neighbors property gobbling from the roost. I set up with hopes of pulling him over the line but 2 guys chopped me 60 yards away on the neighbors. I ended up waking and calling on 4 properties. Never heard another gobble....

Last edited:

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
Hit it hard this morning. Has one on neighbors property gobbling from the roost. I set up with hopes of pulling him over the line but 2 guys chopped me 60 yards away on the neighbors. I ended up waking and calling on 4 properties. Never heard another gobble....
Are you in Pennsylvania now?