Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Post your Vintage Outdoors pictures here!!

Curran

Supporting Member
Central Ohio
The family went back to NE Ohio this past weekend for a short visit & I was able to pick up one of my Grandpa's old photo albums. We spent sometime on Saturday afternoon sitting at the kitchen table looking through lots of older pictures and telling stories. I've heard many of them over the years, but to me they never get old. I could sit there and listen to him for hours on end. Here's the first buck that he shot in 1954...

I have lots more to come, but in the meantime I thought it would be cool to have an ongoing thread with vintage outdoors pictures. It can be camping, fishing, hunting, what ever, just as long as they're outdoors pictures. So with that said, post 'em up here, and if you'd like tell us a little story to go along...

swantucky

The Crew
Swanton, Ohio
Can't wait to see more. I only have a couple I need to get scanned in, I'm not sure how old they are. Everyone was long dead that knew the stories behind them before I got them.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
You'll have to give me some time to get down to our deer cabin and pull some pics off the wall. Probably be a good idea to scan them in anyways because I doubt there are copies anywhere. Great idea for a thread JB!!!

Reactions: Stressless

Curran

Supporting Member
Central Ohio
Here's that same buck with my Mom and Uncle Chuck posing for the camera...

Although my family is all from around the Brookfield Ohio area, they hunted quite a bit over in PA, and that's where this buck was taken. Our family has had a cabin over in Elk Co. since the late 30's or early 40's (I can't remember). My great Grandpa bought the place after the factory in the area exploded. They sold off all the factory worker's homes for a few thousand bucks (still a good amount of money back then). As the years have gone by, the cabin has exchanged hands, but has always remained in the family, and has always been sold for the original purchase price. My Mom owns it today.

Last edited:

Curran

Supporting Member
Central Ohio
Probably be a good idea to scan them in anyways because I doubt there are copies anywhere.

That's what got me thinking about doing this. A few weeks back my sister and I were talking about how life as we know it today is completely different compared to the times when Grandpa was close to our age. A phone conversation with my Uncle Chuck reinforced those same thoughts when he was talking about all of the WWII vets he has had the honor of knowing, and how future generations probably won't know their story. Well, my Grandpa is the lone survivor in our immediate family at this point. My Grandma passed away last fall, and his brothers have all passed within the last few years as well. So, I'm trying to preserve the pictures & history that goes along with them to share with my kids, nephews, and nieces as time goes on.

Curran

Supporting Member
Central Ohio
Couple more I got scanned in...

All the kids with my Great Grandpa getting ready to clean some squirrels...

I think we all know that deer hunting wasn't always the main pursuit that hunter's focused on with a year round passion like it has become today. Small game hunting was much more prominent in year's past, and squirrel hunting to this day is still my Grandpa's favorite thing to do. He didn't make it out last fall, but he and I are already making plans and talking about chasing bushy tails in September 2011.

Another pic with my Mom & Uncle Chuck. Holding up a couple ground hogs that fell to the .22 in 1956...

Curran

Supporting Member
Central Ohio
You could see his eyes light up talking about this picture, and looking at the picture you can tell why...

The story behind this one, it was one of the absolute best squirrel hunts that Grandpa & Uncle Harold went on. They hunted all weekend, and apparently found where every squirrel in the county was feeding. He said he's never seen anything like it since. They hunted one hillside for two days and didn't even put a dent in the population. You could shoot a squirrel off a branch, wait a few minutes and another one would come along and take it's place. They were only hunting with their .22s but he swears if they were using their shotguns they would've been cleaning squirrels for days on end.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Awesome pictures Curran! Thanks for sharing. Most of my family that hunts or hunted were in SE Kentucky. Didn't have any pictures. Lucky to have shoes.

dont know much about the story , but i do remember him saying he shot it when they pushed a thicket along the creek, this is also the deer head i lost in a fire and would love to find a sculptur to make another rack like it

Curran

Supporting Member
Central Ohio
That's what I'm talkin' about UK!! Sweet picture. So who is that in the picture, and any idea on what year it was taken?

Start diggin' those old pics up guys. I love lookin' at those older pictures.