Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Review Team Outlaw Game Calls Box Call

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
I pulled in my driveway Monday night and saw a package placed in front of my door. I read the label on the top “Team Outlaw Outdoors” and knew it was the turkey call you guys helped me win on their FaceBook contest. Man! That was fast. I just gave them my address last Thursday. As I opened the box a giant roll of bubble wrap as big as a coffee can greeted me. I unrolled the wrapping and looked the call over…

First impression...

Instantly I notice the aromatic smell of the woods. The paddle and sides are made of Ambrosia, the base and ends are Walnut.. Looking it over one would be extremely hard pressed to find a single flaw in the craftsmanship. Not a single attention to detail was spared; some even going out of their way to add that extra touch. Right down to the peg that holds the elastic band to silence the call for transport. Barry used a brass brad nail with a large flower shaped head.. A simple eye screw would have achieved functionality to most call maker’s satisfaction. Not Barry, even though the only job that brad has is to hold a simple elastic band, It’s going to be top notch… I flip it over to reveal the call has been signed, dated, and serial numbered. Opening the call to look inside I notice that a small piece of felt had been weaved through the spring under the paddle. Preventing that crinkle sound springs sometime make when loaded under pressure and moved. The call is tuneable by a brass screw that goes through the paddle and into the call. Compressing the paddle and trying to turn the screw by hand I notice it is tight. meaning it isn’t going to come out of tune with use… In the field however something as simple as a truck key could be used to turn the screw and tune the call if need be.

The Sound.

The call was pre chalked and you could tell Barry had made sure the call would sing before it left the shop. So here we go. I’m not a master turkey caller by any means, and I usually prefer a slate for this reason. I rolled off a few yelps on the call and was struck by how realistic it sounded. It slid very well through a note, but had a good grab also, letting you stop the call exactly where you want without that little extra note you sometimes get. By changing the striking location on the paddle I noticed the yelps came out as crisp, or as raspy, as you would like. To imitate that hen who’s looking for a date, or that hen with a little sense “get your but here NOW” in her voice… My favorite thing to do with a box call is cut.. I flipped her around and started cutting. Man.. Now that’s a cut, I can see how I could easily get an ole Tom flustered with this hen cutting at him.. In the two days I’ve had the call, I’m now pretty sure it is going to be the new number one call in my vest. And that’s saying a bunch for a diehard pot call man who’s previous favorite call was the Primos Jackpot, but also owns five other glass, aluminum, and slate calls and always carries a half dozen strikers. Yeah.. Barry sure knows what he’s doing with these calls. I’ll be sure to bring it to any events we have so you guys can see for yourself that this call backs up it’s review. If I had one fault to mention it would be how nice the call looks. Maybe I’m just cheap.. But I don’t want to scratch it. Lol.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Glad to here you got it and are pleased with it Joe.... ifn I was a.Turkey hunter id be all over one lol....

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Sounds like a sweet ass call man! I'm a slate guy for cutting and purring, but I like my box call for louder yelps and cuts. I'll be interested to get my hands on this call...

Ray

Nice work on this write up Joe. I'll share it with Barry. :)

Glad you like the call, they are truly some of the best I've seen/heard.

teamoutlawoutdoors

Thanks for the awesome review, Joe. We strive to build only the finest calls at a working mans price. We truely appreciate the support and encouragement from Ohio hunters. We posted an awesome video of a weekend hunt I had. Be sure to check it out on our website www.teamoutlawoutdoors.com Thanks again! ....Barry

Mountaineer

Banned
WV
Looks like a nice box call...Wish it was hinged in the corner instead of the middle..I cant run em when they are hinged in the center of the paddle...Do you make one where its hinged in the corner?

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
You would first need to host it somewhere like youtube or photobucket and link to it.