Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Sgt Fury’s 2020 NJ and Ohio deer season

triple_duece

Ragin Cajun.
View attachment 114505View attachment 114506View attachment 114507
The first two picks are of a buck I was after last season. On the last day of gun season a dude took a 200 yard shot at him at last light (about 1/4 mile from where I hunt). I was told that he hit it in the back leg and the deer ran off with the leg flailing. He tracked it and lost it. A friend of a friend got a pic of him about a month later...leg still attached but rotting off. No one got any pics of him after that...no one found his sheds or body. I got this pic of what I believe is him. Real nice rack on one side and other side is shit. They say the opposite side rack of an injury to the body will grow abnormal. His leg appears healed but his body isn’t what it was last year...he looks thinner. It’s a shame that someone would take a bad shot at a buck just because it is big....total lack of respect for the game we pursue.

That is correct to a point. If the back end is injured the opposite side of rack is affected. If it’s in the front (injury) the same side is affected.

He thought he was confident with his shot and ended up wrong. It happens all the time. We are all guilty of wounding deer if you’ve been in the game long enough. Awesome how resilient deer are with traumatic injuries. Sucks that it was the deer you had history with and was targeting him. Always a non typical now which is cool.

Sgt Fury

Sgt. Spellchecker
That is correct to a point. If the back end is injured the opposite side of rack is affected. If it’s in the front (injury) the same side is affected.

He thought he was confident with his shot and ended up wrong. It happens all the time. We are all guilty of wounding deer if you’ve been in the game long enough. Awesome how resilient deer are with traumatic injuries. Sucks that it was the deer you had history with and was targeting him. Always a non typical now which is cool.
200 yards with a slug gun is not something most people can pull off. It’s a piece of cake with a rifle but most people in jersey sight in their slug guns for 50 or 100 yards and rarely shoot 200. I doubt I would shoot anything beyond 150...and I’d have to have a good rest to attempt it. My gun is spot on at 100 yards and I’ve never shot it at 200, so I have no idea where it would hit.

triple_duece

Ragin Cajun.
I know some peeps in Iowa that site in at 200 w their 20 gauge shotgun. I’ve only killed a few w slug with a regular duck barrel. 32” full choke. Killed a few with buckshot back in the day.

Reactions: Sgt Fury

Fletch

Supporting Member
Being raised in Western Pa. I never have killed a deer further than 50 yds... Same in Jersey, shots are close... I'd never shoot over 100 yds with a slug gun....
PXL_20201121_204644261.jpg

Fletch

Supporting Member
Oh,, that was my all day sit for 2 days in Jersey waiting for this guy... Didn't see an animal, not even a bear....Don't know where he went... Checked 3 cameras and nada.... WTF ?? Had him on cam 3 days... Guess he went looking for the ladies which are who knows where...
PXL_20201030_220538864.jpg

Fletch

Supporting Member
See the doe looking back.... Hmmmm maybe my big boy is following hot in pursuit???? Yeh ok, here's the next pic.... He may get his ass kicked soon as I think she's the only tail in town...:ROFLMAO:
PXL_20201123_211929692.jpg

Sgt Fury

Sgt. Spellchecker
Well, just finished thanksgiving dinner...wife did an outstanding job. Leaving for Ohio tomorrow morning at 4:00am...should be at the hotel by 12:30. Stocking the stand (water, jerky, trail mix and propane) and baiting on Saturday. I’ll sleep in for the last time Sunday for about two weeks, watch football, get to bed early and be in my stand for the gun opener on Monday.

triple_duece

Ragin Cajun.
Have a safe trip and kill you a good one. Lots of check points on the road this weekend w local and state police getting federal funding for road blocks. Drive carefully

Reactions: Sgt Fury