Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Show us your wood (pile)

"J"

Bass fishing aficionado....
Supporting Member
Davie County, NC
There’s gotta be at least one more dumb-ass out there!!! Chad??? Jesse?

Got a question too - when I was finishing up I restarted the splitter to retract the wedge. When I did, hydraulic fluid started squirting out the breather hole on the reservoir filler plug. I operated the cylinder and it did not stop. I shut it off, moved the handle back and fourth some, restarted, and it proceeded to squirt again. Any ideas? Have not tried google yet.
Larry, check the easy stuff first, fluid level. Loose connections (especially on the suction side of the pump) the larger diameter hose is the draw side and they should be tight so not too suck air into the system. Air in the fluid will cause a foaming and that’ll al low what you have.

twireman

Kingston, OH
[mention]Iowa_Buckeye [/mention] I agree with J and my initial thought would be to check your level of hydro fluid. Low levels make them do odd things. I know it’s a new splitter so this shouldn’t be an issue but it’s an easy check....

[mention]Jamie [/mention] I’m working on three years ahead now and have probably 5 more loads at dads. My neigbor and I were shooting the bull across the fence and he mentioned buying some off me instead of his other supplier so I may come off some to fund some hunting items...

Iowa_Buckeye

Linn County Iowa
Thanks for the suggestions guys. I’ll check the fluid level and fittings next time I am up there. It’s funny it was working just fine, then started pissing like a race horse on the next start. It was connected to the buggy when it happened, so the tongue was a few inches higher than normal. Maybe that had something to do with it???

"J"

Supporting Member
Davie County, NC
Thanks for the suggestions guys. I’ll check the fluid level and fittings next time I am up there. It’s funny it was working just fine, then started pissing like a race horse on the next start. It was connected to the buggy when it happened, so the tongue was a few inches higher than normal. Maybe that had something to do with it???
I’d say if it’s normally level or somewhat level when you’ve previously used it without any issues, you’ve solved your problem.
But check that fluid level since you were leaking some out.

Jamie

Licking Co.
according to my math this is 4.33 cords. call it 4. the front stack is all red oak, the stack against the wall is hickory, ash, and red oak. I won't get to burning any of this for two years, at least.

IMG_3067.jpg

the stack falls off so I can keep the stack height below my shop window. I have a shooting bench set up there during squirrel season so I can shoot my .22 out the window from the comfort of the shop. I shoot a few rounds several times a week when I hunting squirrels almost everyday to check zero on my scope. rifle gets beat on pretty good some days, and I feel better KNOWING the crosshairs are on the mark before the dogs drag me out into the woods.

this is the wood I put up last year. mostly white oak and ash. some walnut and cherry in there, too. according to my math, it's a little over 4 cords as well. call it 4. I've have a conservative 8 cords of wood. 4 years supply, give or take. I may take the spring off from cutting firewood next year. :D

IMG_3073.jpg

Jamie

Licking Co.
my splitter does the same thing if it isn't level enough.

Iowa_Buckeye

Linn County Iowa
Back at the farm today for a couple hours this morning. Added some fluid to the splitter and started it on level ground. Cycled the cylinder a few times and all seemed good! Hope it stays that way the next time I use it..... Didn’t notice any loose fittings either.

Also bucked up another cherry that was a victim of the recent storm with high winds.

196A98EE-4CCB-4B57-805F-6C59975664BB.jpeg
F9D7C9C4-F50E-4BE0-A856-123173EAAD36.jpeg
B9B1F09E-EE69-4953-84FD-21AB9E8A89E2.jpeg

"J"

Supporting Member
Davie County, NC
Back at the farm today for a couple hours this morning. Added some fluid to the splitter and started it on level ground. Cycled the cylinder a few times and all seemed good! Hope it stays that way the next time I use it..... Didn’t notice any loose fittings either.

Also bucked up another cherry that was a victim of the recent storm with high winds.

View attachment 106379 View attachment 106380 View attachment 106381
I think you’ll be fine, probably was just too far off kilter....