Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Show us your wood (pile)

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
There’s gotta be at least one more dumb-ass out there!!! Chad??? Jesse?

Got a question too - when I was finishing up I restarted the splitter to retract the wedge. When I did, hydraulic fluid started squirting out the breather hole on the reservoir filler plug. I operated the cylinder and it did not stop. I shut it off, moved the handle back and fourth some, restarted, and it proceeded to squirt again. Any ideas? Have not tried google yet.
Larry, check the easy stuff first, fluid level. Loose connections (especially on the suction side of the pump) the larger diameter hose is the draw side and they should be tight so not too suck air into the system. Air in the fluid will cause a foaming and that’ll al low what you have.

twireman

Kingston, OH
[mention]Iowa_Buckeye [/mention] I agree with J and my initial thought would be to check your level of hydro fluid. Low levels make them do odd things. I know it’s a new splitter so this shouldn’t be an issue but it’s an easy check....

[mention]Jamie [/mention] I’m working on three years ahead now and have probably 5 more loads at dads. My neigbor and I were shooting the bull across the fence and he mentioned buying some off me instead of his other supplier so I may come off some to fund some hunting items...

Iowa_Buckeye

Smartest person here
Linn County Iowa
Thanks for the suggestions guys. I’ll check the fluid level and fittings next time I am up there. It’s funny it was working just fine, then started pissing like a race horse on the next start. It was connected to the buggy when it happened, so the tongue was a few inches higher than normal. Maybe that had something to do with it???

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Thanks for the suggestions guys. I’ll check the fluid level and fittings next time I am up there. It’s funny it was working just fine, then started pissing like a race horse on the next start. It was connected to the buggy when it happened, so the tongue was a few inches higher than normal. Maybe that had something to do with it???
I’d say if it’s normally level or somewhat level when you’ve previously used it without any issues, you’ve solved your problem.
But check that fluid level since you were leaking some out.

Reactions: Jamie

Jamie

Ohio
according to my math this is 4.33 cords. call it 4. the front stack is all red oak, the stack against the wall is hickory, ash, and red oak. I won't get to burning any of this for two years, at least.

IMG_3067.jpg

the stack falls off so I can keep the stack height below my shop window. I have a shooting bench set up there during squirrel season so I can shoot my .22 out the window from the comfort of the shop. I shoot a few rounds several times a week when I hunting squirrels almost everyday to check zero on my scope. rifle gets beat on pretty good some days, and I feel better KNOWING the crosshairs are on the mark before the dogs drag me out into the woods.

this is the wood I put up last year. mostly white oak and ash. some walnut and cherry in there, too. according to my math, it's a little over 4 cords as well. call it 4. I've have a conservative 8 cords of wood. 4 years supply, give or take. I may take the spring off from cutting firewood next year. :D

IMG_3073.jpg

Jamie

Ohio

my splitter does the same thing if it isn't level enough.

Reactions: Iowa_Buckeye

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Back at the farm today for a couple hours this morning. Added some fluid to the splitter and started it on level ground. Cycled the cylinder a few times and all seemed good! Hope it stays that way the next time I use it..... Didn’t notice any loose fittings either.

Also bucked up another cherry that was a victim of the recent storm with high winds.

View attachment 106379View attachment 106380View attachment 106381
I think you’ll be fine, probably was just too far off kilter....

twireman

Kingston, OH
Dropped a huge oak tree at my in-laws today. Was quite the battle. Got a 14’ log out of it to make beams for a gazebo. Broke a shackle on trailer coming out of woods. Luckily dad was available and came over and patched it up. Log is beside mill now. Lots of stress getting it there. Whooped...

5Cent

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
North Central Ohio
Lol, that's a biggin. Very cool on the gazebo use idea.

Is that a 7500lb landscaping trailer or a car/equipment hauler? I have no experience in wood weight guessing game but I would put that 10-15k lbs.?? Lol

Reactions: twireman

twireman

Kingston, OH
Lol, that's a biggin. Very cool on the gazebo use idea.

Is that a 7500lb landscaping trailer or a car/equipment hauler? I have no experience in wood weight guessing game but I would put that 10-15k lbs.?? Lol

Dad made the trailer about 1997... it was a fifth wheel camper frame he cut and welded together. 2 3500lb axles... an online log calculator had that log around 4000lbs. It wasn’t too bad just a lot of uneven terrain the 200 yards out of the woods.

We are shopping for a new trailer however. This one has paid its dues for us 10 times over...

Iowa_Buckeye

Smartest person here
Linn County Iowa
The storm the hit us this week did graze the farm as it was pretty much on the north edge of the storms path. I took a trip up there today and it wasn’t too horribly, bad but some trees did go down. I saw a real nice walnut and got to thinking maybe I can make a few dollars selling the logs instead of cutting them for firewood? So I got on a few timber buyers websites and have a question. What do the fractional numbers mean in this pic?
My plan would be to cut them to log length, load them on a trailer, and just take them to a local buyer. If it’s worth my time.
1AF3472A-B358-41AB-9A79-48619EF05457.jpeg

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I’ve cut a ton of wood over the years but mostly self taught and last weekend learned a shitton from an owner of a tree trimming business who just so happened to have bought a farm across the holler from us 17 years ago. Can’t believe Ron nor I have never met him over that span but last weekend he heard us cutting and came over to investigate. He introduced himself and pleasantries were exchanged then he said, “ I heard your saw kicking your f’ing ass and thought I’d come over and give y’all a hand!” 😂🤣😂
He examined my saw and blade, gave me some pointers and even showed me the proper way to sharpen the blades and file the rakers. He even fell a dead ash and showed us how you can maneuver a trees fall location some by how you wedge cut and come in from behind with your final cut. It was great to learn from a professional and meet a great neighbor in the process. He said they come down from the C-bus area every other weekend and if their gate is open to come on up and visit a spell and sit around one of their Saturday night fires. He would fit in well with this forum.😎👍🏻

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I was going to guess 4-5000. I looked at it. Imagined it cut in half. Knew our skid loaders would handle it in two pieces, but not one full length. lol