Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Show us your wood (pile)

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Dead ash. Harder than granite. I should end up with a cord of maple, one of ash, and one of red oak. Be some good fires this fall!

Attachments

• 20200313_183234.jpg
    20200313_183234.jpg
    625.9 KB · Views: 124

Fletch

Supporting Member
Jesse, I'll probably go pick up your stove end of this month, then bring it out my next trip to Illinois mid-summer... So start figuring where your putting it..

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I'm thinking about using the 3 week school shut down as a way to get firewood stacked. My son is already crusty I won't let him go hang out with a group of kids having a party tonight. Looks like I need to find activities to keep him busy every time he complains.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Anyone running a 20" bar on a MS291? Bought the wrong chain and know the 20" bar still falls in spec, so I'm thinking I'll just get an extra bar so I have 18 and 20.

Reactions: 5Cent

twireman

Kingston, OH
Dads has a 20 with 3/8 chain. It runs it but doesn’t enjoy it in hardwoods. If I were you I would return it and get another 18”. I heated my house for 6 years with a 18” bar. My father in law 30 years with an 029/18”. I loathe changing bars too lol.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
MS250 is a great all around saw. Be perfect with 16" bar. @"J" I have one I use when limbing up stuff or if cutting up tree tops. You can do 12-14" and smaller with ease. Those 4-10" tree tops are butter to that saw.

Reactions: twireman

Bowkills

Nw oh
Looking at a Stijl too replace my husqavarna that gave it up last week. Gotta decide on which one I wanna get. My body says get a lighter one with a 16” bar.... My mind says go with the bigger and a 18” bat 😂
When u go to the dealer try handling the saw without a bar on it which I believe Stihl dealers do (idk the one I go to doesn't have bars on their heads) there isn't no much weight different when bumping up cc sizes U could bump up cc and outfit whatever smaller bar the saw can handle. I bought a cheapo husky with a Christmas gift from rural king a little 40cc saw with a 16in bar it's nearly the same weight as the smallest cc saw they sell. Having a bit more power and less chain is always better than to much chain for a saw to pull.

Jamie

Ohio
my 290 is 19 years old and still rockin' probably the best general purpose saw out there. I've cut some big, hard stuff with it. it's the only chainsaw I've ever owned. never given me any trouble. Imma fire that bitch up next week if I'm not painting something. I'm thinking seriously about a smaller saw for the lighter work. this ones getting a little heavy for trimming limbs and cutting small stuff.