Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Show us your wood (pile)

Iowa_Buckeye

Smartest person here
Linn County Iowa
Last weekend a friend from work and I cut/split up part of a fallen hickory. Google search says hickory is one of the best all around wood to burn, but is a bitch to split. Glad I was the one running the saw! MS250. Great saw.
DDD86647-F395-4022-B1DB-11694508C7DC.jpeg
0B433025-4D32-4930-8AE4-58D742EFEE49.jpeg

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Drove my Jeep 30 feet off my gravel towards my stack of log length firewood pile. Stopped. Backed up. Nope. If a 2500# Jeep is sinking, an 8500# Bobcat is going to make a terrible mess getting them out. Guess they will stay put until later.

Reactions: MoonLab and 5Cent

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I have to admit that I HATE sharpening chainsaw blades! It’s just too dang time consuming but it needs done from time to time. I spent a good part of the afternoon today sharpening 5 of the damn things! It’s amazing how fast the dead ash bark gums up and dulls a sharp blade. Lol

Reactions: 5Cent

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
I need too pull the trigger on a saw. I’ve got 2 of my buddies here too use, but I hate using someone else’s saw and get paranoid about fuggin it up...

Jamie

Ohio
well, I've hand sharpened chains, used a cheap guide that you attach to the bar, but they did not work very well. for the amount of time I spent, it just didn't seem to get them sharp like the machine does. I considered buying a sharpener like the professionals use. the kind that looks like a chop saw but employs a grinding wheel instead of a blade. I have enough tools and do enough shit for myself already. I gave up on all of that when I found out that I could get all of my chains sharpened by a pro with good equipment for $5 a piece. now, I do keep the correct files with me when I'm out cutting, but I also have at least one extra (sharp) chain, usually two, at all times. I'm no lumberjack, but when your a long ways from home or even the truck running a saw, it's best to be prepared to run a chain into the dirt once in a while. find yourself a local sharp shop or mom and pop chain saw dealer.

twireman

Kingston, OH
[mention]“J” [/mention]

I know [mention]Jamie [/mention] wasn’t to fond of these. I have this one and have used it primarilyfor the last 8 years.... keeps angle on point. Bout 3-4 strokes per tooth. Don’t hafta remove chain (which I hate) and takes about 5 minutes to do a chain. I hit the rakers with a straight file about every 4-5th sharpening.... worse thing you can do is start getting that 30 degree angle off. This prevents that.

Cogz

Cogz
TX
It is worth the time to practice sharpening with standard files with the chain on the bar. It becomes a “feel” sort if thing and if you really pay attention visually to what that tooth looks like, or examine a brand new chain, you’ll get it down fairly quick. The file diameters go thru really smooth at the correct angle, and with a little twist on the way thru, they sharpen up quick.

Cogz

Cogz
TX
Anyone use a cheap craftsman S180? Just picked one up on sale at lowes for under $150. 18” bar, 42ccs 2 cycle. I was an arborist in a past life so used lots of high end stihls but I plan to run the balls off this thing til it gives up.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
12-15 cords a year. I'm not paying $4-5/chain to have them sharpened. That said, it sure is nice when you don't have to do it. If I only had 3-4 chains to sharpen a year I'd pay to have it done. The one twireman posted is handy. Used them plenty of times. Every so often I need to swap chains and use the motorized one I have mounted. It gets a little nicer sharpening than I can do by hand.

Bowkills

Nw oh
12-15 cords a year. I'm not paying $4-5/chain to have them sharpened. That said, it sure is nice when you don't have to do it. If I only had 3-4 chains to sharpen a year I'd pay to have it done. The one twireman posted is handy. Used them plenty of times. Every so often I need to swap chains and use the motorized one I have mounted. It gets a little nicer sharpening than I can do by hand.
I'm to cheap as well. I try to free hand file in a vice. I get them good enough but every once in a while I'll get one Ron poepeel sharp. I have a northern tool bench mount that doesn't get used way to much anymore but comes in handy when 3 chains all need hit that gets them good enough.

Reactions: hickslawns

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Had a buddy who had the bench mounted sharpener, a 12 pack would take care of my chains for the year....