Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Show us your wood (pile)

MoonLab

Where we’re going, we don’t need roads.
Supporting Member
Tooville
Brutus has done it again. Loving it.2
20200502_181607.jpg
20200502_200812.jpg

Iowa_Buckeye

Smartest person here
Linn County Iowa
Anyone have any experience with Black Diamond brand splitters? They sell them out here at Theisens and I see Rural King also carries them. The 25 ton is currently on sale here for 30% off ($699). The reviews I looked at are pretty positive but figured I’d ask here.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Never heard of it either. It is a small engine, a valve, and a cylinder. . . pretty much anyway. Don't poke a hole in the reservoir. Change the oil. Keep a clean air filter. Don't force a piece of wood if it isn't splitting. It should last you a good long time.

Iowa_Buckeye

Smartest person here
Linn County Iowa
My first attempt at a hinge cut today. A big standing dead locust trunk with a slight lean. Limbs had already fallen. It was about 20 inches at the base and had 40 feet or so of pretty massive trunk left. I used some felling wedges, and after some time and a bunch of creaking and cracking it came down. Next time I’m up there I will buck it up and try the splitter out on it.
3685976D-8332-4F33-8D85-5A1B2B75AB71.jpeg

Jamie

Ohio
probably have to build Nancy a fire tonight. this shit has got to stop. I refuse to run the wood stove after April 30. but burning wood in my burn pile while sitting in a lawn chair and sipping on a cold drink just to watch the flames is perfectly fine, lol.

ate those words this week. da fuck with this weather? We've had a fire since Thursday, still burning, probably until tuesday or wednesday.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
ate those words this week. da fuck with this weather? We've had a fire since Thursday, still burning, probably until tuesday or wednesday.

I actually had let my boiler burn out and removed all the live smoldering ashes and embers during that warm weather stretch when the gasket started to leak. When I got home from work around 7pm last Monday I saw the colder temps coming later in the week so I added enough water to fill it back up to normal level and started up another fire. The internal water temp was at 40 degrees at start up and it took about 3 hours to get it back up to 160 but with the week of water lost I got air in my lines so I had an air lock develop within the lines. So at 11:30 before bed I went out and used a water hose and connected it to a valve in back of the boiler and flooded the lines to push the air back into the tank. I let it gurgle and bubble we’ll before reconnecting the line. There has to be a much easier or better way to do this which I’ll be looking at during the off season. Anyway, the water temp are back up to snuff and I’ve been running back on the boiler for heat and house has been nice and toasty ever since. It was nice not having to fill up twice a day for a week while it lasted and can’t wait till I can give it a rest for the summer spell which should be just around the corner.....I hope! Lol

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
I actually had let my boiler burn out and removed all the live smoldering ashes and embers during that warm weather stretch when the gasket started to leak. When I got home from work around 7pm last Monday I saw the colder temps coming later in the week so I added enough water to fill it back up to normal level and started up another fire. The internal water temp was at 40 degrees at start up and it took about 3 hours to get it back up to 160 but with the week of water lost I got air in my lines so I had an air lock develop within the lines. So at 11:30 before bed I went out and used a water hose and connected it to a valve in back of the boiler and flooded the lines to push the air back into the tank. I let it gurgle and bubble we’ll before reconnecting the line. There has to be a much easier or better way to do this which I’ll be looking at during the off season. Anyway, the water temp are back up to snuff and I’ve been running back on the boiler for heat and house has been nice and toasty ever since. It was nice not having to fill up twice a day for a week while it lasted and can’t wait till I can give it a rest for the summer spell which should be just around the corner.....I hope! Lol
August is coming, eventually, Ric 😂 🥶 😂

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Just filled the wheel barrow again. I refuse to fill the two and a half yard skid loader bucket to supply us 2-3 more weeks. I've been filling the wheel barrow a week or two now. I'm sorta over it. I enjoy it. If I have to fill it more than 7mo out of the year it is a bit much. I started in October. It is May freaking 10th! Maybe a good thing our garden isn't ready to be planted yet.

Attachments

• IMG_20200510_215239.jpg
    IMG_20200510_215239.jpg
    149.3 KB · Views: 330

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Just filled the wheel barrow again. I refuse to fill the two and a half yard skid loader bucket to supply us 2-3 more weeks. I've been filling the wheel barrow a week or two now. I'm sorta over it. I enjoy it. If I have to fill it more than 7mo out of the year it is a bit much. I started in October. It is May freaking 10th! Maybe a good thing our garden isn't ready to be planted yet.
We’ve been running the A/C for the better part of a month.... Just sayin.... 🥶