Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Show us your wood (pile)

Jamie

Ohio
Didn’t happen without pics!! 😎

oh, it happened. :)
here is what is left of what I cut on Friday.
IMG_2822.jpg

IMG_2823.jpg

IMG_2824.jpg

here is what I cut up today. the stack in the background was felled by the power company on Friday. the stack in the foreground was a tree they cut during the summer when the bush hogged the edges of their easement. both large Red Oaks

IMG_2825.jpg

here is what I have left to cut tomorrow. it was just pure coincidence that the power company's contractors were on my property to cut the three marked trees they left last summer. had I not been there to protest, they would have surely cut this entire triple trunked huge Red Oak down. they could not give me any reason why they should cut the other two trunks, so I insisted that they don't. the one trunk marked was leaning into the easement a little bit. that trunk is about 22" where they cut it.

IMG_2826.jpg

MoonLab

Where we’re going, we don’t need roads.
Supporting Member
Tooville
I would have to say that I'm really happy with it. Decided to name it Brutus. Had alot of fun today with BIL. Thanks for helping me out put this together. Had fun, bub. Last night I had forgot to get 10W30 oil for it. So, we had to wait. Today I went got the oil for it.
20200418_203502.jpg
20200418_203519.jpg
20200419_140043.jpg

Did some cutting over the weekend. Went to put on an old chain recently sharpened and was surprised how much it must have stretched. So much that I didn't feel safe using it. Is there a way to take a link out of them anymore? I looked a bit but didn't see a removable link at first glance. Stihl MS310

Reactions: MoonLab

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Did some cutting over the weekend. Went to put on an old chain recently sharpened and was surprised how much it must have stretched. So much that I didn't feel safe using it. Is there a way to take a link out of them anymore? I looked a bit but didn't see a removable link at first glance. Stihl MS310
I remember seeing how too do that on some YouTube videos a few years back

Reactions: Big_Holla

Jamie

Ohio
got all the wood cut that I'm going to cut. time to get on with splitting. my Huskee 22 ton splitter was about all I could afford when I bought it. no frills, but it's performed heroically for me for as long as I've had it. the one thing it lacks is a log catcher opposite the operator side to catch half of those big pieces. I've rigged up a sturdy table and used sawhorses, but it's always a pain in the ass. the I-beam didn't come pre-drilled for an accessory back then. I've tried to find a log catcher for this splitter, but no such thing exists, even at TSC where I bought the splitter. I've been looking at pics and videos to see if I could find one that I could "make" fit. I lucked into one on Ebay that is sort of universal as it is adjustable to a degree. after looking at it, I decided this was probably the path of least resistance to getting a back saver attached to my old log splitter, so I went for it. got here a day early, so I was able to put it on this afternoon. packaged very well, very sturdy, painted exceptionally well, included all the necessary hardware for mounting.
IMG_2831.JPG

IMG_2832.jpg

I broke the last carriage bolt while assembling. must have been a defect as it broke really easy. luckily, I had some phillips panhead bolts/lock nuts the same size. this came with four, I added one extra of mine on each side for good measure. marked the I-beam and drilled the two holes. actually, I drilled 8 holes. started with 1/8" bit, then 1/4, 5/16, 3/8, and reamed out the hole a little with the 3/8. easy peasy. 3/8" bolts went through the holes nice and easy. the two attachment bolts came with lock nuts, but I added a split washer for good measure. lots of vibration when this thing is running.

IMG_2833.JPG

IMG_2834.JPG

IMG_2836.jpg

$59 plus tax to my door. I think this was the least expensive of any I looked at. I imagine this could fit dang near any similarly designed splitter. it's a bit more sturdy than I expected. pretty happy with the purchase. take it for a spin tomorrow, probably.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
My neighbor lets me use his big ass splitter that has a hydraulic lifting arm that can lift well over 600 lbs that is a HUGE hit with me. It also has a telescopic wedge for bigger chunks that has an horizontal wedge to quarter spilt them in one pass. The huge thick double pans beyond the wedge sure helps keep the big chucks up at waist height to help my back. This splitter is the shit! I can split 36”inch by myself if I had to. I’ll take some pics or video the next time I use this beast! I need to spilt soon myself.👍🏻

Reactions: Jamie and MoonLab

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Well, I went and picked up my neighbors splitter this morning but it was having issues. He said he was experiencing some sputtering with the engine the last time he used it and thinks he might have gotten some bad gas or water in the gas/engine somehow. I tried using it anyway but only got 20 minutes or so use of it before having it conk out on me. He’s letting me keep it at my place and will be over soon to help me get it going again so I can finish my run. I added some gas additive that’s suppose to get water out of the gas so I hope it helps but if not we’ll prolly just drain the tank and lines and try running some higher octane through it. Anyway I managed to take a few videos of me running it when I did get this beast running but don’t know how to upload videos here to share but here’s a few pics.
B5F46504-35D5-404F-B217-D4C7EFC71D8F.jpeg
A583DDB7-EEF3-4C0A-8717-AADCA9E75D4B.jpeg