Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Testing a new auto tagging system, hunting, deer, turkeys, slicktricks, midgets

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
did it work?

Yep. )

This has a potential to cause some issues.. It takes key words from the title and makes tags from them at the bottom of the thread.. If you click this tag it will show you all threads with a similar tag. Say you read a thread about coyote hunting. You can click the coyote tag and it will show you all threads with coyote hunting in the title. A huge benefit so people can find all the info they need about a subject from all previous threads.

However it may have some growing pains.. If you go to submitt a new thread and it gives you an error about a common word. PLEASE let me know what that word is so I can add it to the exception list. You can email it to me at theohiooutdoors@gmail.com and i will add it ASAP. Or change the word in your thread title and submit the thread, then PLEASE let me know so i can add it an prevent it from happening again.. Thanks.

* auto
* deer
* hunting
* mid
* slicktricks
* tagging
* testing
* turkeys

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
What the hell is this, twitter? Oh wait, that's # hashtags

I know nothing of this twitter you talk of.. Scroll down to the bottom of this thread and click on the tag for "Deer". You'll see what i mean.. It shows you all the threads with "deer" as a tag.

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
I know nothing of this twitter you talk of.. Scroll down to the bottom of this thread and click on the tag for "Deer". You'll see what i mean.. It shows you all the threads with "deer" as a tag.

That's cool Joe. Will this also help with search engines to find/index things easier as well ?

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
That's cool Joe. Will this also help with search engines to find/index things easier as well ?

Yes. As google crawls the page it visits links hungry for more knowledge. If it finds similar threads it will consider us more "knowledgeable" about the subject.. It basically adds the 2+2=4 instead of making google do it on it's own after looking at everything on the site.

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
Yes. As google crawls the page it visits links hungry for more knowledge. If it finds similar threads it will consider us more "knowledgeable" about the subject.. It basically adds the 2+2=4 instead of making google do it on it's own after looking at everything on the site.

That's sweet. Should bump up some traffic for the site faster. Great news if you ask me :D.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
I added "Trail Camera"

If you created a thread with "trail camera" in the title it will auto add a tag to your thread called "trail camera"...

Or like you did anyone can go down to the bottom of the page and add what you like via the add/edit tag cloud. :)

(and before someone tries it does have a cuss filter so "shit" can not be added." lol

rrr

I know nothing of this twitter you talk of.

On Twitter you auto tag with hashtags (#Twitter) so that all of the statuses with that subject (example: "I can't believe how much of a pussy #BrettFarve is, but he still won't retire") come up. So if I clicked on #BrettFarve, all of the tweets that talk about Brett Farve would show up....

I just realized that you're not an idiot and probably know what I mean.

TOO just keeps getting better and better!

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
On Twitter you auto tag with hashtags (#Twitter) so that all of the statuses with that subject (example: "I can't believe how much of a pussy #BrettFarve is, but he still won't retire") come up. So if I clicked on #BrettFarve, all of the tweets that talk about Brett Farve would show up....

I just realized that you're not an idiot and probably know what I mean.

TOO just keeps getting better and better!

;) ..

rgecko23

*Supporting Member*
Massillon, Ohio
dang, the only thread it came up with is this one.....

I am sure there is more than one thread about trail cameras.....

So to help me understand, its only Thread titles, not Thread content?

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
dang, the only thread it came up with is this one.....

I am sure there is more than one thread about trail cameras.....

So to help me understand, its only Thread titles, not Thread content?

I just did it. Older threads will not have the tags as this modification didn't exist when they were created. I am looking for something that will go back and add tags to older threads based on their titles, but going forward all threads will have tags. :)

I went and tagged some other threads manually.. Click on the trail camera tag again and see what comes up now. :)

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Seeeeee. I looked at the "Who's online" section and what do I see.. A google spider.. It read this thread and said to itself.. Shit. I better check the tag list too.. So it called for a buddy to help. Now they are indexing away and having a merry old time. :)

Google Spider 08:40 PM Viewing Thread Testing a new auto tagging system, hunting, deer, turkeys, slicktricks, midgets

Google Spider 08:27 PM Viewing Tag List