Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

TOO Projects Thread

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
There are a lot of industrious people around here, so I know there are a lot of good projects going on our there right now. We have a few sporadic threads about them here and there, so I hoped condensing things in to one thread might prompt more people to let us know what they are up to.

As for me, I am WAY behind on an ever growing list of things to get done before September! My main priority has become a dog kennel. Remi is not traveling with me as much these days and has essentially become an outside dog the past couple of months. I got a great deal on some sections of chain link panels, so I decided to build a "Dog Mahal" of sorts for him, and for the future duck retriever!

Last week I asked my neighbor to bring his backhoe over and level out a spot for me. Well he misunderstood my plan and I was left with a mess after he essentially dug a pool! He tried to correct it by dumping two loads of sludge in the area for me to level it out. I wasn't TOO pissed considering he has haul gravel and done other work for me for free in the past, and did not charge me anything for this. What I thought would be a nightmare, may turn out to be just fine. It took 4 hours to work things up, but I have a great base to work on now. The dog kennel will actually be built in to the hill like a mirror image of our house.

Here is the "mess" I found when I came home...

I used a string to cut the wall so that the outside of the cage will sit flush with the wall...

It took a lot of shoveling and a lot of raking to get it to this point, but I rolled it in with the mower and things were kosher!

I hired some help for Saturday (one of the kids I coached in baseball) and plan to make a push to finish it Saturday. Building a 10'x20' frame out of 2x6's. Inside the frame will be poor man's concrete (57s topped with crush and run). I'll also set 3 poles to support the tarp that will make the roof. I have a XXL Dogloo to go in there, along with his pool and food/water bowls. I should be able to finish this thing for under $300...

Reactions: Left field

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I have not. However it won't be a big concern as he won't spend much time locked in there. When I am gone during the day, the door will be open so he can come and go as he pleases. He doesn't leave the yard. I built this as a shelter as much as anything. It will also be good for when we are going to be gone for a couple days. I don't expect to shovel poop out of there very often and the pee should drain right through the gravel. Knowing him, he'll pick one corner to pee on and that's where he will pee every time! lmao

Buckmaster

Portage
One of my current projects is this 67 Nova. Needs total restoration. It's all original with owners manual and Protecto plate.

I'm headed to a swap meet this weekend searching for some smalls, trim items, etc. The bulk of my project is sheet metal but all that can be ordered easily online.

Attachments

• 67 chevy II.jpg
    67 chevy II.jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 599

buckbuster217

*Supporting Member*
Byesville, Ohio
Looking good Jesse, looking forward to the updates and some of the other TOOzers projects also,

Nice looking old nova buck master, what kind of powerplant is under the hood

Last edited:

buckbuster217

*Supporting Member*
Byesville, Ohio
It would be really sweet with an LS1 or LS2 but the 400 small block would be more time specific for the car, are you gonna keep it original or go with the mod look?

Buckmaster

Portage
I'm always a fan of originality. I'll get the most bang for my buck going with a 400 small block and keeping the stock look. With the LS options I'd have exhaust issues requiring some mods to the frame and inner fender wells. It's doable to the tune of an extra $ 12-15K.

Gordo

Athens County
'projects' have takin over my life lately.

My 'office' in the garage should be wrappin up soon. Ive got two layers of concrete stain down and will be adding one more layer of a darker stain on top. After that it'll b time to seal her up.

It should be done already, but good old 'lowes' ran out of the base needed to mix the darker stain, and its takin forever to come in.

Ill post some pictures. I think its coming together nicely.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I still need to finish the siding on our tree house project. Currently working on organizational items in the basement (shelving units and possibly some built in units.) After that is a barn roof to paint on one building and a metal roof to install on another. When these are complete my wife wants the living room redone and I want the back patio completed.

These are just the projects at our property. ugh. Realistically, we will end up working our tails off for customers and have to pick and choose which of our personal projects will be completed.

dante322

*Supporting Member*
Crawford county
With a certain financial load being lifted from my shoulders lately, I'm hoping to be able to put some funds together to put a new roof on my house. It's in pretty bad shape and has needed it for some time. the money for it was just not there.

Derek j

Knox Co.
I finally finished our living room this past week. I may put up the wallborder, or just leave it as is. Think it might look too "busy" with it on. Next up is the dining room ceiling and trim. It never ends!!!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1370700925.606872.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1370701001.617958.jpg

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Looks very nice Derek! Euro looks sweet TOO!

I'm heading out to mow today but will start on a TOO project soon. Hint:landscaping wall around our patio.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Ran out of friggin gravel and no one around here sells it on the weekend. Another project that gets put on hold. Helping my dad refinish his decks and drinking his beer now!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1370723006.740705.jpg

Fullbore

South Eastern Ohio
Nice that your giving your Dad a hand, Jesse. Cheap labor. Lol. Payment by beer consumption, that is.

Nice job on the living room, Derek! Always funny how my brother always gravitates to horns,though? It's the first thing he notices! Lmao.

Ricer2231

Nice looking living room Derek. I think those bases for euro mounts are sweet. Love the adjustability.
The kennel looks like its coming along pretty good, even though ya did run outta gravel Jesse. I'm sure your pops is appreciating the help.

twireman

Kingston, OH
Ive had my quad since 04 and always wanted a winch. Rural king had one a few months for $69 and picked up a plow on craigslist for 100. Neither one came with mounting hardware so my ol man hooked me up with some scrap metal and his welding skills to get em mounted up. Gotta love dads with sime know how!!
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1370741414.962959.jpg

Reactions: Ohiosam