Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

TOO Projects Thread

Gordo

Athens County
Concrete floor in office is stained. Going to touch up a few areas today, and then will be sealing her up over the weekend. After that i'll b trimmin her up and adding window sills in either cherry or walnut.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1371204367.860600.jpg

Gordo

Athens County
20x60. The finished part is 24x20. Even with the finished part, there's still a full 3 car garage. It was a deal closer when we where house shoppin last year.

On the right side of the garage hiding in the shadows is the doorway to the 24x20 finished area.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1371219174.510077.jpg

Gordo

Athens County
Thanks.

I still have to slap my self sometimes to make sure im not dreaming. Its been 6 months since our purchase and things are coming togetger. We really lucked out with are place and are grateful.

Gordo

Athens County
Im sure Beaner knows the ropes of staining better then i do.

What sealant would you recommend using? I sampled a bit of the valspar high gloss wet look on my sample pad, and wasnt to happy with the results. The reviews on it werent the greatest either.

I want to make sure i nail it after screwing with it for this long

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I will let Curran, Jesse, or Beentown make the call as they have more paint/stain background than I do. However, keep in mind traction. Garage floors tend to condensate. Last thing you want is such a smooth finish it is like an ice skating rink. The high gloss sounds like it would look great, but you might consider some sand or grit of some sort in it for traction. If you add the traction control to it the high gloss might not look very good. Just a thought to consider.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I'd use an acrylic based sealer so that the concrete can breathe. What didn't you like about the Valspar? If it were me, I'd want a low sheen sealer.

My kennel is 90% finished. Still have to find the right tarp and do some finish work outside, but she's functional!!!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1371318710.364956.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1371318841.039662.jpg

Gordo

Athens County
You hit that one out of the park jesse. Looks great man. Job well done.

On the valspar sealer: i read alot of reviews that werent to hot to begin with.

I then put two coats on my 'sample area' and the results where less then desirable. Uneven, flat, blochy results. Not what i was going for.

I did alot of reading/research, and it just doesnt serm like the 'valspar' is on the same level as other sealers.

With that being said, i could have just screwed it up. We'll find out

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
I like PPG's sealers. Also, for a good traction I mix in a bit of grit (little goes a LONG way). They used to use sand but it is now a man made substance that mixes an better, silica I believe.