Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

TOO Projects Thread

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Nice work Jim, how was that spray foam to work with?
Piece of cake. Easiet part of the job so far. Guy showed up, I gave him money, and in return he gave me spray foam. 😂

Seriously though, this closed cell foam is awesome. More expensive than open cell, but a higher R factor per inch thickness, complete moisture barrier, and adds up to 40% strength to the exterior walls. I’m glad I went this route instead of fiberglass or other traditional types of insulation. I’m sure it won’t take me long to make up the extra cost in energy savings.

Piece of cake. Easiet part of the job so far. Guy showed up, I gave him money, and in return he gave me spray foam. 😂

Seriously though, this closed cell foam is awesome. More expensive than open cell, but a higher R factor per inch thickness, complete moisture barrier, and adds up to 40% strength to the exterior walls. I’m glad I went this route instead of fiberglass or other traditional types of insulation. I’m sure it won’t take me long to make up the extra cost in energy savings.
My buddy in Meigs County built his house and sprayed with the closed cell foam. His electric bill during the hot part of summer was literally a fraction of what they were used to in their other house.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
My buddy in Meigs County built his house and sprayed with the closed cell foam. His electric bill during the hot part of summer was literally a fraction of what they were used to in their other house.
That’s great to hear. The more positive reviews I hear the better I feel about it. When you only hear from a few people, you question whether it’s really that good, or if people simply tell themselves it is so they can rationalize the increased expense. We contemplated hiring a painter when it’s all said and done. My thought was I’d much rather pay someone to do spray foam and paint the walls myself. These walls aren’t coming down again in my lifetime (hopefully) so I’d just rather bite the bullet now and do it right.

5Cent

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
North Central Ohio
Man JB you have been a busy man!! Looking good and love the call on the closed cell foam. I would bet it is the cost that steers people away from it, plenty of proof out there it surpasses bat insulation types.

I just told the Mrs. I am overdue to come see ya and drop off the boys monster truck, check out the farm, etc.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Man JB you have been a busy man!! Looking good and love the call on the closed cell foam. I would bet it is the cost that steers people away from it, plenty of proof out there it surpasses bat insulation types.

I just told the Mrs. I am overdue to come see ya and drop off the boys monster truck, check out the farm, etc.
Any time pal! Stop over for a tour!

Reactions: 5Cent

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
My cousin built a monstrous house 5-8yrs ago. 4000+ sq ft. He can't say enough good things about the spray foam. Said it was one of the best things he did. Utility bills are less than my house. My house is less than half the size and fairly tight. I've added a lot of insulation. I don't think you'll regret it. Especially on an old house.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
It's project-thirty! Chickens are finally laying, so it's time to turn my scraps into nesting boxes. Perfect day for it!

20210321_120543.jpg

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I’ve reached a really big moment in the project. Not quite the finish line, but a huge mental victory considering where we started.

Finally... drywall is coming tomorrow.

A couple hundred 2x4’s, 30 sheets of plywood, 6000 crown staples, 12 tubes of liquid nails, 120-ft of Pex pipe, countless construction screws and nails, 600-ft of wire, 1200 sq ft of closed-cell spray foam... and I can’t even tell you how many man hours now at this point. Finally, it’s looking like a house should look. I couldn’t help but stand there, look around, and smile just before I shut the lights out tonight. God is good.
View attachment 123450View attachment 123451View attachment 123452View attachment 123453View attachment 123454
Very very busy indeed Jim! Looks great buddy! Looking forward to seeing the final product...🤗👍🏻

twireman

Kingston, OH
Well our 4H years are starting. My wife is back to being an advisor and my daughter is taking a hog for her first project. We go pick a couple out next weekend l. Cleaned out the barn today and now need to power wash and build some pens. Can’t believe how fast the kids are growing ...

Isaacorps

Columbus
I took advantage of the weather the last few days and started replacing the fence in the backyard. 160 linear feet total. It’s all done except for the 2 gates which I’ll get to Friday or this weekend. I went the stick built route instead of panels since the genius that originally installed it didn’t space the posts 8’ on center. Thankfully the posts are still in good shape and didn’t need replaced.
CE434C90-290F-4424-AA62-F6DF9B8B27DB.jpeg
151CDF3A-ACF8-4902-9E10-A6DED992D89D.jpeg