Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

TOO Projects Thread

Outdoorsfellar

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Update on my backyard transformation project .... Pretty much dead in our tracks. I've been waiting for an excavator to get us scheduled to come in & start working. It took a spell to get estimates & for someone to answer back. We did decide, after returning from S. Carolina, to bring a southern / tropical flair to the property, so that's in progress at least ....

20210714_212554.jpg

20210714_212709.jpg

20210714_100314.jpg

Smawgunner2

Athens County
Working on the live edge countertop for the cabin. Not a happy camper. Used a semitransparent water based stain....went on thick as shit. Used a foam brush then wiped with a cotton shirt. This stuff dries in less than 2 minutes. Splotches everywhere. I had to belt sand the effing thing down to bare wood again. So this time I cut it 50/50 with water. Still splotchy in places but looks 100% better than it did. I have to use water based because I'm going to pour a 2 part epoxy over it. Epoxy won't stick to oil based. It'll be fine....just wanted a more rich look to it. I have one other trick up my sleeve....stay tuned.
330ACA15-C2BE-47CA-9C98-A62FA68259E5.jpeg

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Looks fantastic Kevin! I'm impressed with how much they really set it off.

Sorry Smawgunner. Sucks but makes the finished product that much more rewarding.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Working on the live edge countertop for the cabin. Not a happy camper. Used a semitransparent water based stain....went on thick as shit. Used a foam brush then wiped with a cotton shirt. This stuff dries in less than 2 minutes. Splotches everywhere. I had to belt sand the effing thing down to bare wood again. So this time I cut it 50/50 with water. Still splotchy in places but looks 100% better than it did. I have to use water based because I'm going to pour a 2 part epoxy over it. Epoxy won't stick to oil based. It'll be fine....just wanted a more rich look to it. I have one other trick up my sleeve....stay tuned.
View attachment 131108
Sucks to hear you had the extra work involved but that is going to look great. Staining wood can be a real trial and error endeavor. The back of can always says let it sit for 5-10 minutes before wiping it down… but I’ve oftentimes if you wait that full 5 minutes, it’s drying out and splotchy as hell. It looks great when you get it right but it can really test your patience!

Chancegriffis

Salesville ohio
Update on my backyard transformation project .... Pretty much dead in our tracks. I've been waiting for an excavator to get us scheduled to come in & start working. It took a spell to get estimates & for someone to answer back. We did decide, after returning from S. Carolina, to bring a southern / tropical flair to the property, so that's in progress at least ....

View attachment 131105

View attachment 131106

View attachment 131107
If you need any excavation work done I just might know a guy! Lol I do work for southeastern so I could get you any machine if you wanted to do the work yourself as well.

Jamie

Ohio
View attachment 131108
as you have discovered, water based stain not the best choice for a project like this. for future reference, aniline dye would probably be the best thing as epoxy will adhere to it just fine. another option would be to use oil wiping stain, seal with sanding sealer, then finish with epoxy.