Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

TOO Projects Thread

Bluefinn

Portage Co.
Getting ready to start a bathroom project as soon as the Wife picks out her fixtures. Redoing the tub with Ekopel, antique vanity with copper vessel sink & gutting the walls & putting up new drywall. While the walls are down I'd like to redo all the copper plumbing flexible lines & new fittings. Have any of you guys used the sharkbite or the new plex stuff? I hate plumbing & looking for a solid permanent fix.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Getting ready to start a bathroom project as soon as the Wife picks out her fixtures. Redoing the tub with Ekopel, antique vanity with copper vessel sink & gutting the walls & putting up new drywall. While the walls are down I'd like to redo all the copper plumbing flexible lines & new fittings. Have any of you guys used the sharkbite or the new plex stuff? I hate plumbing & looking for a solid permanent fix.
I’ve plumbed in a hot water tank with the shark bite fittings. Absolutely the only thing I’d reinstall on another house....

Current house is all Plex, seems like it’s easily installed. Haven’t tackled any of it. The clamping tool for it is not cheap. To get a decent one that’ll last is around $100

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
When we first moved in, I looked at the crimp tool, afterwards I settled on I’ll cross that bridge when I get too it 😂😂😂

twireman

Kingston, OH
In the process of redoing our master bath now.. retiling shower this weekend and probably won’t get it done. I want to have it all done by March so I can start an outside project. Damn I hate tile and mortar...first shower lasted 9 years hoping to get more out of this one. Wife hated the color of grout as it showed dirt and mildew too bad. She will have 75% less grout to clean now.

Attachments

• 634C6B65-37A4-4252-B465-0DB534C03EBB.jpeg
    634C6B65-37A4-4252-B465-0DB534C03EBB.jpeg
    117.7 KB · Views: 187
  • EF682732-BA42-45D8-B9EC-2FDCD0E5047E.jpeg
    EF682732-BA42-45D8-B9EC-2FDCD0E5047E.jpeg
    130.3 KB · Views: 142

5Cent

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
North Central Ohio
Spend the money and get the clamping tool. The shark bites are good but they are expensive as hell. If you are doing a whole bathroom it will be cheaper to get the crimp tool and doing it that way. They are also a lot more secure than shark bites.
Pex is the only way to go as far as I am concerned.

X2.....goes for any good tool, buy once - cry once, then enjoy knowing its done right and you can keep doing it moving forward.

PEX is the only way to go for most plumbing any more. I was always a fan of copper, not so much on cpvc, and now PEX blows both out of the water without question.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
You're retired, dont wait too long, # of bridges to cross are running out. Quit penny pinching and start livin, J😄
Just one less tool laying around that I don’t use 😂 I’ll be getting one, but when I need it 😂
Actually my buddy (who just moved down here) and I were talking about buying the kit. Split the cost. We both have houses full of Pex 😂

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Shark bite fittings are fantastic in a pinch. I have used them many times. If it is hidden behind the walls and "never" coming out, use the pex. Buy the tool. Well worth it.

Reactions: 5Cent and twireman
Not sure where to put this its but it's kinda been a project. My little girl asked me to draw with her Thursday night so i obliged. Not being the artistic type i put a pencil on the paper and made an honest effort anyway. I really enjoyed myself and found it relaxing to the point of wanting to do it more. I know it's not exactly productive, but its not an electronic and its its something her and i can do together! Hope to have more stuff to share soon.
IMG_20210125_071857_613.jpg

Buckmaster

Portage
Last I knew Cleveland Plumbing wanted like $500+ for the Pex crimping tool you speak of. I hired a plumber for the day for less money. It’s on my “wish” list too but I’m not a contractor.