Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

TOO Projects Thread

5Cent

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
North Central Ohio
Everything you see in dirt in the pictures above, minus the garden, will be grass and will get mowed. The plan is to slowly radiate out from the home work wise (i.e. landscaping and final downspout install, then clean up everything within the new yard area, then work on curb appeal and privacy, etc, etc.. Lastly will be hunting/small farm/fun related items.

I already rotational mow different quadrants of the yard, to keep it decent, but have areas of cleanup that will get attention over the next few years. After 3 years of mowing, it has already come around plant wise to be more tall fescue grasses and such. This is what the property looked like from 2017-2020, eye level weeds lol.

FB_IMG_1618855914144.jpg
FB_IMG_1618856194094.jpg
FB_IMG_1618856211059.jpg
FB_IMG_1618856216674.jpg

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
@5Cent with as much ground (ie potential) that you have there, and the young (ie curious and enthusiastic) kids, a pollinator plot of some sort would be a great addition to your property. The forbs and wildflowers would look great and the attraction of bees, butterflies, and other pollinators would be not only a great conservation-related benefit to the environment but also an awesome long-term learning opportunity for the kiddos. Future garden would obviously benefit from the pollinators as well. If you contact your local Soil and Water Conservation District, you could more than likely get the seed for free.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
@5Cent with as much ground (ie potential) that you have there, and the young (ie curious and enthusiastic) kids, a pollinator plot of some sort would be a great addition to your property. The forbs and wildflowers would look great and the attraction of bees, butterflies, and other pollinators would be not only a great conservation-related benefit to the environment but also an awesome long-term learning opportunity for the kiddos. Future garden would obviously benefit from the pollinators as well. If you contact your local Soil and Water Conservation District, you could more than likely get the seed for free.

My thoughts went here as well, especially as a "perimeter" along an edge where it makes sense.

5Cent

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
North Central Ohio
Agreed, flowers/grasses/trees all needed but they fall into #2-3 priority on the list. We did grab quite a few sunflowers seeds this last seed order with the intent to add some height, color and pollination around the border of the garden if time and mother nature play nice, or some random strips or plots across the sides and back of the property.

I want to plan for 2 rotating pastures and ideally a small hay field, but none of that is firm because it will depend on a future shop and/or barn and how the water situation out front ends up. It's still quite wet, it's gotta settle and find it's new home over the next few years after being disturbed. I'm in no rush lol.......

Buckmaster

Portage
Day 1 complete after 6 hours. Wes stripped the topsoil out of my pond plot and moved it to a 1/4 acre plateau which now resides a topsoil depth of about 24”. This will be where my Johnny Appleseed Pennsylvania “Apple cutting” orchard will remain. That tree holds apples until February. I put a call into the extension office to see if they can DNA test a cutting. I would like to know what variety it is. I might market some one day.
CB32290A-1AC0-4940-A079-7572A7641E98.jpeg

5Cent

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
North Central Ohio
Hoping the 100% hand done job on this 1/3 of the yard was worth it. 2 rake sessions (1 prior, 1 post seed) and hand spread straw. This is where I expect we will spend most of the time when outside and had highest wind erosion happening.

40% Elite Perennial Ryegrass
40% Creeping Red Fescue
20% Kentucky Bluegrass

20210425_144357.jpg

Will tackle the side n front portions in another 1-2wks., woulda been to big of a bite to try and keep it all watered at the same time.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
That's real nice, Clark. (In my best cousin Eddie voice.)

Get it close with a tractor on the larger areas. Rent a 3pt slice seeder or over-seeder. I think Landpride makes the one I rent. Very impressed.

Reactions: 5Cent

Outdoorsfellar

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Years ago, I spent a few years laying 1000 or so of these retaining wall bricks to terrace the back hillside & around the water garden. I swore I'd never do it again . Silly me, here I go again. The pond was 30 ft long & went to hell & became overgrown with poison oak, ivy & saplings. I removed all the stone waterfall & what lined the pond , filled in with 15 tons of fill dirt. I'm extending the lower wall on both ends and re routing. I then plan on some sort of gravel flooring with a fire pit in the middle.....

20210518_102735.jpg

20210518_102751.jpg

20210518_102757.jpg

20210518_102728.jpg

Last edited: