Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Turkey Season Live Update

Gern186

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NW Ohio Tundra
Deuce is dropped, but I'm on the road already. Have a meeting with Dominion this morning regarding a sales point for our pipeline project. It's a make or break meeting, so I'd better not be late because I was chasing long beards in my undies! LOL!!!

Well then make sure you are sitting there tomorrow morning before work because he might be right there again!

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Headed to the farm now to make a run at putting my cousin PJ (bowhunter21) on his first bird. Let's hope they're talking this morning!

Gern186

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NW Ohio Tundra
Good luck Jesse,

Hey, does any body know how many turkeys Mountaineer has killed so far? He has been pretty quiet here lately regarding turkey season.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Good luck Jesse,

Hey, does any body know how many turkeys Mountaineer has killed so far? He has been pretty quiet here lately regarding turkey season.

Surely the legendary great white hunter himself is tagged out. I mean, he thinks like a turkey, more so than an actual turkey. He knows turkeys better than turkeys know themselves. He just thinks them dead...

No luck for us this morning. We only had two hours to hunt be because my cousin had to work. We found one on roost at 7, but never heard a peep out of him after the first gobble. We're not sure he even flew down while we were there. After we moved, I got a hen all flustered and had the tom working behind here. We ran out of real estate and they hopped over the ridge onto the neighbors before we could cut them off. Still a fun hunt.

aholdren

Supporting Member
South East Ohio
Had a great hunt with my mom this morning. He was close enough that I could see his eye. while he was in strutt, and my mom sat right beside me and couldn't get a shot :smiley_confused_vra, he went down over the bank and gobbled non stop for the next hour before finally walking off. Whe he was less then 20 feet and gobbled, it sounded like he was screaming right in my face, we walked out empty handed but still had an awesome day....

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
Had a great hunt with my mom this morning. He was close enough that I could see his eye. while he was in strutt, and my mom sat right beside me and couldn't get a shot :smiley_confused_vra, he went down over the bank and gobbled non stop for the next hour before finally walking off. Whe he was less then 20 feet and gobbled, it sounded like he was screaming right in my face, we walked out empty handed but still had an awesome day....

That's cool that you could enjoy the morning hunt with your mom.

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
The other day Kody one in his sites behind our house. From my dad's description (I wasn't there) the bird kept doing the head bob and took off before a shot was offered. Today, in the same spot, I seen a big Tom strutting around in the morning.
We set up a blind there this evening and put one to bed nearby. Kody can actually sound like a hen just by using his mouth. He had that thing gobbling like crazy. Plus, it was answering the owl call. Hopefully he makes his way to same spot in the morning.
Watching him this morning he had a nice bright white head and a nice long beard.

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I can see Kody and Pap's setup with binoculars out in the field behind us. I'm in the process of getting ready for our DH today and glanced out the window. Two gobblers were headed right for them. So, I kept watching... POW! He missed... :(
Bummer!!!

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
After the official report from my dad Kody rolled the bird then it flew off.
I thought it looked kinda funny after he shot but it was too far away for me to tell.
My DH got cancelled from the rain so I was able to get a play by play a kittle while ago.

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
This is all I found...

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
Went this morning. Had a deer get absolutely pissed that I was walking in. That deer snort wheezed at least 20 times. Although it was a perfect morning and I enjoyed myself, there were no birds seen or heard. I saw two deer that came in pretty close, I found a turkey wing, a very old shed in the field and some nice pieces of flint that showed some human touch but weren't worked.

Schu72

Streetsboro
As far as turkey hunting goes, my weekend was a bust. I tried an evening hunt on Friday and got poured on by a good ‘ole thunderstorm. I was not dressed for it and was soaked to the bone. I tried to wait things out, but got too cold. Next morning got off to a good start. Up plenty early, winds were calm, and the temps weren’t too bad. However the birds were not cooperating. I did not hear a single gobble or see a single bird. My only entertainment was having another coyote come in on my set up. Fortunately for him, he saw me first. Later in the day Mom and I took the kids on a nature walk. We ended up finding two deer skulls, one doe and one buck that had died after dropping his antlers, another critter skull of some kind, a part of a shed and a few mushrooms. Kids really enjoyed it so that was cool. Sunday hunt was more of the same. The only turkey I saw all weekend was one strutting in a field off of route 70 a mile or so from my mom’s place on my way home.

Last edited:

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
This is all I found...

Those box turtles always scare the piss out of me... I never see them until they hiss. And where i grew up, if something hisses at you, you're fucked.. Amazing how things are burned into your brain as a child